Looking for Al Granger Halifax III drawings

Cees Broere

Hi all,

I am building the FM Halilfax at the moment. The engines will be replaced with Tamiya Beaufighter units. I do have the Al Granger Halifax II drawings but there should be a MK III kicking about too.

I noticed the drawings in the Warpaint book but although they look similar (by a different artist) but with very thick lines and a lot of inaccuracies.

Do the Sanger Halifax III kit have reasonable drawings?

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Cees

Hi Cees

I have the Contrail 1:48 ones they are dated 1991, they are almost the same as the warpaint ones        

Presumably the Sanger ones will be the same 

Cheers

Jerry

Sanger took over Contrail, so likely they are the same.  I haven't heard of any Grainger drawings of the Mk.III.  However Aeromodeller had a set prepared by Ken Merrick, which were available from MAP/Argus, so may still be available but I don't know who from.  Following A.L. Bentley's experience with copies of his drawings, I'd rely upon the Grainger ones, except for the engines and perhaps some aerials, of course.  Oh, and the Preston-Green gun position.  And the twin 0.50 tail turret, with or without Village Inn.  ( or was that only on the Mk.VI?)  I suspect that you can use the Grainger plans for the Merlin-engined variants with the Warpaint ones for the engines/pannier/wingtips etc.

I do have some Halifax B.III drawings in one of those Argus booklets. I looked at them yesterday, but it is an older, soft-covered book and to scan them, I risk cracking and breaking the spine. Some of the drawing cross the centre of the page, which would make it difficult to get a good scan of the whole image.

Chris