Pz IV H/J sprocket

Bozothenutter

anybody have scale drawings of the Pz IV sprocket and its constituent parts? (or maybe measure a 1/35 one?)

It looks suspiciously like the drive sprocket of Panther V2.

And as the Dragon kit part is too large is all diameters except the outer one, I suspect the real V2 used the PZ IV sprocket as a base in some way. (and yes it has been pointed out to me that H/J came after V2....so maybe they had the design lying around already) 

Panzer IV H/J

spacer.png

V2

spacer.png

One thing might work against your otherwise sound deduction.  Width.  Panther's 660mm tracks were more than 50% wider than the Pz IV's 40cm.  Even allowing for the greater inset from the outside edge on Panther tracks, I would think the PzIV sprocket would be much too narrow for Panther.  Unlike the M4 sprocket, which used the same toothed rings on a wider hub between VVSS and HVSS suspension types, the complex one-piece cast design of the PzIV sprocket does not readily permit width adjustment.

Otherwise, the concept of re-using parts is a sound one and it does look as if the same design concept was adopted.  Perhaps the casting master was adapted to make a wider part, but the angles would necessarily have changed if the hub and outer diameters remained the same.  A new parallel-sided central section cannot simply be added as with the M4 example.

The arrangement of the holes for the securing bolts for the outer toothed rings is interesting.  As is the multiplicity of securing holes in the inner rim where the sprocket attaches to the hub, especially considering the radial forces exerted there.

• Like 1

Width is different of course, but like the BBS wheels of the '80's, or most current racing wheels, its not strange to have a modular wheel.

I'm thinking they might have altered the casting master,  just used the centre, something like that.

Think spokes centre with toothed wheel on the outside, and possibly a whole rear rim for the inner toothed wheel.🤔🤓

55 minutes ago, JackG said:

Took a scan of 1/35 scale drawing from the TROJCA Vol. 1 book  on the Panther.  Providing two measurements,   red being diameter to inner lip, while green is the outer edge.

jit1Bp6.jpg

regards,

Jack

Thank you VERY much!

They do, but I don't have it.

I do have Wydawnictwo publication on the Jagdpanzer IV.  Their 1/35 scale line drawing appears to have the proper sprocket with open faced spokes, and the outermost diameter is @ 19.6mm

regards,

Jack

13 hours ago, JackG said:

They do, but I don't have it.

I do have Wydawnictwo publication on the Jagdpanzer IV.  Their 1/35 scale line drawing appears to have the proper sprocket with open faced spokes, and the outermost diameter is @ 19.6mm

regards,

Jack

thanks again, dare I ask for the inner measurement aswell, as that is the one i'm thinking of using

Sure, no problem.  I've scanned the image and did the measuring in a vector program for more accuracy (hence a slightly more precise number for the outermost diameter).  Just to note, like the previous graphic post, the measuring is done to the center of the line art, as opposed to an edge.

T5qrWUS.jpg

regards,

jack

• Like 1

Even if the outer ring diameters are correct or close enough, there is still the minor problem of needing to completely replace the centre section between the rings as the geometry will be completely different for the increased width. Difficult shape to scratchbuild.

41 minutes ago, Das Abteilung said:

Even if the outer ring diameters are correct or close enough, there is still the minor problem of needing to completely replace the centre section between the rings as the geometry will be completely different for the increased width. Difficult shape to scratchbuild.

not with a lathe.....😉

1 hour ago, JackG said:

Sure, no problem.  I've scanned the image and did the measuring in a vector program for more accuracy (hence a slightly more precise number for the outermost diameter).  Just to note, like the previous graphic post, the measuring is done to the center of the line art, as opposed to an edge.

T5qrWUS.jpg

regards,

jack

Jack comes trough again!

thanks for the tip on how to measure, going to try that!