Canberra B(i).6 - calling it done

Seems like a dog's age since I actually finished anything. 

Between work, and consolidating everything into my new ManCave modelling has been in short supply.  TBH - another son moved out and this time I got the space- no yoga studio/hippie retreat in this room🤨  

The cold weather finally hit North Texas this weekend, and I used it as an excuse to sit at the bench for a few hours. Not as much room as I had before, but everything is indoors, AND in one place. Plus, I don't have to worry about much larger, heavier parts from a Big Block Ford (another expensive hobby) damaging anything.

Gratuitous ManCave shot(s) - still not finished, but at least I can work on the important stuff - models!

HmyzSjNw5RjlQiyRkaOdBKxFf-ZI26RC2tZPvEia

pDJAoV1KFhWf9fta2OGqiSgGVUTWG4i4579PgZO7

lRx6BD8NMvxywsf8-vbb7YN1F3YK67eNmBgLS8H2

On to the model...

8FsPY0d4M9EIPMwyalPfBYQujaVSgUKn8A_t1Kkr

I built this OOB. No, really.  I actually built this exclusively from the parts in the Airfix box, and nothing else. I tried to keep the weathering subtle. And used only kit decals! I thought it would be a Mojo booster to knock something out in a week(ish) without obsessing.

Each kit I build, I try to use a new technique/product. I used Green Stuff World' airbrush masking putty. The results were mixed. The putty absolutely does not leave any residue or marks on the previous paint. It can be re-used immediately and doesn't seem to retain paint/solvents in the putty. However, I found that it continues to settle as it sits, and the demarcation lines are not much softer than masking tape. This might make it ideal for smaller kits (1/72 and very small 1/48), but I didn't see a lot of benefits in 1/48, especially on a kit this size.

5_CrThRd_y9JzFGtwRA7IIcdV1x5uTgjMdfsgppF

6Tb31T1b8Yxius9u3SuNiHvxCF7WX-u6hNO5YPD-

EA-xq-Hysl51TlmsTjQPnbCUimslOhN_Bew6yZ0T

q2gbx0hirVM394QG6cTkJ1rKjQfEdZhRnv9XqZFL

eZk--v_M5aXKEVWG0I55JLUwO-ENRHGAcedF3CsD

She's definitely a tail sitter. And HEAVY!!! And I had a bit of a "love/hate" relationship with the build.

Loved the fit - kit goes together smoothly, and presented "zero" build issues. Other than the intake areas, there is no filler on the kit.

Hated the end-result  - it just feels 'toylike'-  very basic without a lot of detail. I tried to make it look realistic, but not sure I succeeded. I have already started planning for improvements when I build the (R)B-57.

Hope you like it. Comments are always welcome.

Best,

Mark

Edited by markmcguire25
pics
  • Like 32

I can't see your pictures....?

Can see them now.

Nice Canberra, gotta do one myself one day. My neighbour worked on these back in his RAF days as an instrument fitter.

Edited by Devo

12 hours ago, markmcguire25 said:

Hated the end-result  - it just feels 'toylike'-  very basic without a lot of detail...

Well, when I saw the first photo (close-up) I was wondering if it was 1/72.  I hate to say so, but I agree.  A victim of Airfix's "die-cast" panel lines (and no, I don't hate Airfix by any means, and I know they are beginning to learn, but...)  Frankly I think "enhancing" them with a wash didn't help any.

All that aside, it looks nice when you "pull back" a bit, and I like your general finish on it.  What's more, you actually did it, so objective achieved!

bob

p.s. I can't see the man-cave pics, either, but I do see the model ones.

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

First off, I finally see somebody who has almost as many paints as I do! (But I bet I have a lot more Pactra and Floquil than you do- ha!) Very nice workbench, too! I agree with the diecast comment regarding this kit, but you have made as good a model of it as any other I've seen! (Bet it even brings a smile to @canberra kid's face!) Very, very nice Canberra!

It always amazes me that Airfix can do so many nice subtly detailed parts on their new releases, but continue to mold kits with such wide panel lines- they do seem to be getting better, but there doesn't seem to be consistent improvement from kit to kit. Sorry to drift off-thread, but the comments made and your outstanding build in spite of the kit's issues reminded me- much like the discussion on the Airfix and Fujimi Spey Phantoms.

Mike

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

First off, I finally see somebody who has almost as many paints as I do! (But I bet I have a lot more Pactra and Floquil than you do- ha!) Very nice workbench, too! I agree with the diecast comment regarding this kit, but you have made as good a model of it as any other I've seen! (Bet it even brings a smile to @canberra kid's face!) Very, very nice Canberra!

It always amazes me that Airfix can do so many nice subtly detailed parts on their new releases, but continue to mold kits with such wide panel lines- they do seem to be getting better, but there doesn't seem to be consistent improvement from kit to kit. Sorry to drift off-thread, but the comments made and your outstanding build in spite of the kit's issues reminded me- much like the discussion on the Airfix and Fujimi Spey Phantoms.

Mike

It's always nice to see another Canberra on the site, and it's the first time I think I've seen one built as it is on the box. I totally agree about the detail, but having spent too much of my life trying to fill it all, I now live with it, and under enough paint it's not that bad. I'm on with a B(I)6 too at the mo, so lot's of re scribing and and fun!

John 

• Like 1

Great model and very envious of your modelling studio!

20 hours ago, markmcguire25 said:

Each kit I build, I try to use a new technique/product. I used Green Stuff World' airbrush masking putty. The results were mixed. The putty absolutely does not leave any residue or marks on the previous paint. It can be re-used immediately and doesn't seem to retain paint/solvents in the putty. However, I found that it continues to settle as it sits, and the demarcation lines are not much softer than masking tape. This might make it ideal for smaller kits (1/72 and very small 1/48), but I didn't see a lot of benefits in 1/48, especially on a kit this size.

Not heard of that before, sounds useful as most of my modelling is 1/72. May I ask what paint you used?

Cheers,

6 hours ago, Johnson said:

Great model and very envious of your modelling studio!

Not heard of that before, sounds useful as most of my modelling is 1/72. May I ask what paint you used?

Cheers,

I used the Xtracrylics paints for the main camo colors. The rest (cockpit, etc.) was Tamiya.

6 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

Cool room and model!😎  Now, let's see that Big Block Ford! 😀 460?  or maybe a 427?  Oooohhhh...😁

It was a 460. Just got it back from the machine shop. Now it's a 472. I'll post a pic once I get back home (on the road for work - New Braunfels, AAMOF). And it's in a '73 vert. with Mach 1 decals. Always snicker when I'm gassing up and an older gent whispers "thank the Lord for the big block ford" 

6 hours ago, RMCS said:

Great job 

Thanks very much! 

7 hours ago, canberra kid said:

First off, I finally see somebody who has almost as many paints as I do! (But I bet I have a lot more Pactra and Floquil than you do- ha!)

HaHa. I think I have a total of 3 Floquil RR paints.

7 hours ago, mackem01 said:

Great model and a lovely finish. I keep looking at mine wanting to start it, but when I open the box I lose my bottle!

Very welldone.

Do it! With the exception of the intakes, fit is superfluous. And it's a Canberra!!! Just watch out for the panel lines - I think the suggestion to NOT highlight them was spot on.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, markmcguire25 said:

It was a 460. Just got it back from the machine shop. Now it's a 472. I'll post a pic once I get back home (on the road for work - New Braunfels, AAMOF). And it's in a '73 vert. with Mach 1 decals. Always snicker when I'm gassing up and an older gent whispers "thank the Lord for the big block ford

I've never heard that phrase before, but I'm gonna steal it now!   When I was in high school, circa '67-71, the cool black dudes had a sayin' about hot Dodges; "runnin' strong, but not for long." 😄

That 472 in a '73 is gonna be cool.  Are you installing it yourself?  I've been in on a few of those jobs.  With a hot-rodder son, I was involved in most of his projects.  And we both lived to tell about it!  😉

Canberras are smooth and streamlined and surprisingly big so no surprise that the model is as well - I would be very proud of that result and not remotely worried that it's 'toy like' because it isn't!  Very nice indeed.