S.H.A.D.O Interceptor - finished

Hello all,

I have been wondering whether I should add a third build or not, unfortunately when the subject kit arrived I couldn't help myself and immediately started fettling, and dry fitting, and generally thinking about how I would do it and the next thing I know.... BANG! like a low yield nuclear missile I've gone and started on the cockpit. Anyway here I am with Bandai's 1/48ish S.H.A.D.O Interceptor, from Gerry Anderson's UFO...as if you didn't know.

49049996773_f3efc0aa02_b.jpg

49049997028_4afc0b045f_b.jpg

49050504771_2d3695c52a_b.jpg

The Cockpit base and rear panel replacing the joke like kit effort being detailed.

The pilot is an ex RAF (Airfix sqn.) harrier pilot who is living the service moto to the full, however he just can't be without his home comforts so has brought his comfy Harrier seat with him. He successfully completed the strenuous S.H.A.D.O selection process whilst his kite was in transit from the factory in Japan.

I know with my current poor start/finish ratio, embarking on another build is not ideal but I've been wanting to do one of these for ages. Additionally I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the DVD of the series (this is for research purposes only and has nothing at all to do with Gabrielle Drake in a silver catsuit!!)

More later,

Mark.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, MarkSH said:

Additionally I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the DVD of the series

the whole series is available here.  https://archive.org/details/UFO.complete

Not stunning quality, but watchable.

Where did the model come from?  

16 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

im vaguely familiar of the TV series from Mr. Anderson. 

Interesting series, some of it is hilariously dated... lost of smoking, even on moonbase!  And plenty of casual sexism...  and what is it with the purple wigs...

But, some interesting plot lines, not all upbeat and gung-ho.  

Though am I the only who finds that aliens who can travel across the galaxy can't grow some new body parts, and have to come to earth to steal some....

also up on Archive.org,  all of Space 1999, which was to have been UFO part 2....

series 1 here

https://archive.org/details/Space1999.Series1

• Thanks 1

It is the Bandai kit sourced via eBay from Japan, a remarkably rapid service I might add.

Yes the series is seriously dated it was produced in 69/70 and set in 1980. But I love it anyway.

Quite dark in places but at times the purple wigs and Nehru suits get in the way of the plots BUT, like I said....Gabrielle Drake in a silver catsuit....

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looks like a bandai release. 

I meant more, where did Mark get it....  I assume it's unavailable?

Related story, many years ago I was told the story of the Chaos UK guitar player,  Gabba, who trashed his guitar at the end of their 1985 Japanese tour so he could fill his guitar case with rare Anderson model kits, which were really hard to find here...

There are a few examples still showing up on eBay but some of them are quite expensive I keep a weather eye out for them and this one , whilst still not cheap was the best price I've seen for some time so I went for it.

What I need now is the same scale Alien UFO to accompany the Interceptor, but for that I'm going to have to scratch, 3d print, vac form and do some resin casting, I've already created the 3d model just in the process of costing it all up.

A little more progress on the Interceptor cockpit:

49055723546_88d6fc1d90_b.jpg

A load more greeblies added to the rear bulkhead, including an X-wing like targeting computer "stay on target!". Its nothing like the 'real' thing but busier than the kit effort. components sourced from all corners of the spares box

49055938112_5c1425cb02_b.jpg

Pilot, seat and control column test fit, the ex RAF pilot insisted on having a drinks holder installed for his flask of tea whilst on extended deep space anti-UFO sorties.

49055938342_f8970d8719_b.jpg

The front console made from some thin plastic card and Milliput and more greeblies added.

49055938237_493e807866_b.jpg

....and a test fit of the whole lot.

Good fun using a bit of imagination now and again.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 13

Oh I like this a lot! I built this kit a few years back and did a similar thing for the cockpit, although yours looks much busier than mine did! I just used some cheap photoetch (for a 1:72 Wellington bomber if I recall correctly!).

Don't forget to sharpen the tip of the missile a bit, that is the only major problem with this kit - well apart from  the risible cockpit and the dodgy decals - do you have any plans regarding those in their weird Spanglish or something equally unintelligable?

Yes its the Bandai kit that usually sells on ebay from between £50 and £80.

Looking forward to watching this progress further!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kallisti said:

Don't forget to sharpen the tip of the missile a bit, that is the only major problem with this kit - well apart from  the risible cockpit and the dodgy decals - do you have any plans regarding those in their weird Spanglish or something equally unintelligable?

The kit generally isn't too bad from a profile point of view apart from the missile, the cockpit, no vertical thrust engine bell and the clear part is curved. I have attended to the missile's nose profile and I have also shortened the thicker part of the body as it was proportionately wrong.  Additionally I have sanded and polished out the clear part and dipped it in Klear so that it is at least transparent now.

49080883872_8cb11c7ee8_b.jpg

With regard to the markings I am of a mind to mask and spray the red stripes, but for the rest of the markings I will probably make up my own set for printing.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 3

There is an image on the italian isoshado site that they give permission for anyone to use to print their own decals - i used it on mine if I can find the link... yes found it, on this page

http://www.isoshado.org/4/4_attivita_files/intercettore_2000/intercettore_2000.htm

Scroll down to near the bottom and you'll find it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

hi all,

On 11/17/2019 at 11:07 PM, Kallisti said:

There is an image on the italian isoshado site that they give permission for anyone to use to print their own decals - i used it on mine if I can find the link... yes found it, on this page

http://www.isoshado.org/4/4_attivita_files/intercettore_2000/intercettore_2000.htm

Scroll down to near the bottom and you'll find it

Thanks for the link, I had already found it and will use it as a basis for my artwork.

Not much to report on the Interceptor build; just added some greeblies in the aft compartments above the main engine bell, added the vertical thrust engine bell (surplus 1/48 spitfire spinner) filled the holes for the missile firing mechanism and stand slot, plus sanded down all the raised panel lines I was going to re-scribe but it proved far to difficult to get anything to conform to the kit curves even Dymo tape failed, so I will probably use pencil to describe the panels over the sealed decals.

49100735318_841db337da_b.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

I have added some colour to the Interceptor cockpit:

49173580171_8c7ea9aaf4_b.jpg

The instrument panel.....

49173802047_377c3b8fd1_b.jpg

....and the rear bulkhead.

Cheers

Mark.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Kallisti said:

Are you doing anythign to replace the canopy for the cockpit?

I found that after all my efforts in the cockpit, the canopy hid most of it.

I have sanded and polished the clear part its not perfect but substantially better than it was.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Afternoon all and Happy imminent New Year!

Finally got some time to get some stuff done for all of the builds for this GB including buttoning up, priming and spraying the Interceptor:

49305476306_5e9a600bac_b.jpg

Not much else to report I have added the mysterious decorative 'gun barrels' atop the front fuselage now just letting it all cure before masking.

• Like 9

Evening all,

I have masked and sprayed the main blocks of colour on the Interceptor:

49335232357_94cf9b9533_b.jpg

49335232297_0495c3e434_b.jpg

There are some minor touch ups required but generally not too bad, on removing the windshield masking it became obvious that a fair bit of dust has gotten inside the cockpit though....again!:doh:

printing and applying the decals next then the addition of the pencil panel lines.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

on removing the windshield masking it became obvious that a fair bit of dust has gotten inside the cockpit though

I don't seal canopies down for painting very often. Usually when i do i take the compressor hose and crank the pressure up. I then blow any dust and debris out of the nooks and crannies of the cockpit. 

• Like 1

Evening all,

A little more progress with the Interceptor:

49352406492_70dd388980_b.jpg

I have completed the majority of the detail painting and started thinking about a display base.

49352406577_3283452672_b.jpg

Decaling is underway the decals are a mix of home print and leftover stencilling and bits and bobs from other kits, I've taken some license so its not entirely accurate to the studio model but then neither is the Bandai kit itself. Anyway the home print decals are behaving reasonably well with only a couple of failures and a few minor colour bleeds.

The display base is taking shape and is loosely based on a filming still used on the cover of a reference book lent to me by a work colleague (cheers Dave). It should show up the model quite well when it's been painted in a dull moon dust grey. I have built it in such a way that I can possibly at a later date construct the sub-lunar hanger bay around it.

Anyway cracking on...

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 9

Evening all,

Very nearly done with the Interceptor all that remains to finish is the display base and some final photos for the gallery:

49385655381_1988807224_b.jpg

49385853352_fc54cb8e07_b.jpg

The panel lines have been added using masking tape guides and a 2F (Film) pencil and a little Tamiya weathering powder. The placement whilst not completely random is however a compromise due to the proportion inaccuracies of the kit, that being said I'm overall fairly chuffed with the outcome and am pleased now to have parted with the £50 (sshhh...don't tell SWMBO) I paid for it!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 8