Hotlinking Photo Host Choices

Gorby

On 12/17/2022 at 2:54 PM, Mike said:

Removed Village Photo from the list, as it's been non-SSL for some length of time now, with no sign of them taking any action to rectify it.  It's a fair bet they're no longer playing. :shrug:

Extremely disappointing that.

(The owner there just disappearing, not the policy here of only using certified secure sites - but I'm conscious the guy may have fallen ill or even died. It's a frustration for users none the less though however it happened.)

On 12/17/2022 at 11:30 AM, kiseca said:

Thanks both, and that reflects the behaviour I am seeing when I try create a new link. If I paste the URL into my post, it used to wait a second or two then display the image. Now it just displays the URL as in @JeroenS 's post above.

If I instead use the "insert image from URL" option, the box turns red when I press "insert into post", suggesting that Britmodeller is unable to retrieve the image.

Scalemates has been a stable site for this for a long time it seems. I can move to Imgur or hobbyphotohost or something if I need to. I'll contact Scalemates admin and find out if anything changed there - I do really like that site so it's nice to be able to post and host there.

As an update, Scalemates haven't replied to me yet, not entirely unexpected given it's the season to be elsewhere, so I've opened an account on Hobby Photo Host and bought a subscription so the images don't vanish after 12 months.

I've just updated the links in one of my WIPs and.. it's going to be a pain updating all my threads but I'll get through them eventually.

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed on another thread that someone else was having problems with Scalemates but it is fixed now. I've checked my old threads with Scalemates links and they are also working again. Didn't hear anything back from their support but it looks like something has been fixed at least. Yay!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ia m sorry but have tryed everything still it does not work i have flickr and copy the fotos from share foto "bb code 800 x 600" 

put it right in insert image from url but non effect

this is my copy url:    52758085116_4b117698e9_c.jpg20220226_233158 by helimaster, on Flickr

what is wrong?

• Like 2

On 2/7/2023 at 7:02 PM, Big_Bad_Bill said:

I've been embedding from OneDrive since I started here but for some reason the embed option has disappeared.  Anyone else having the same problem and does anyone know a solution?

It is still there for me. Once an image is selected the toolbar with the blue edit button on the left appears and if you hover over then click on the dots for 'other options' the drop down menu has the embed option in it.

Edited by Slackbladder

30 minutes ago, Billy said:

ia m sorry but have tryed everything still it does not work i have flickr and copy the fotos from share foto "bb code 800 x 600" 

put it right in insert image from url but non effect

this is my copy url:    52758085116_4b117698e9_c.jpg20220226_233158 by helimaster, on Flickr

what is wrong?

I might be missing the problem but I can see a very nice Corsair?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slackbladder said:

It is still there for me. Once an image is selected the toolbar with the blue edit button on the left appears and if you hover over then click on the dots for 'other options' the drop down menu has the embed option in it.

Thanks, I was possibly being a muppet but I have it again now.

I don't think it works like that, my understanding is that Dropbox is a password protected storage site.  I don't know the answer on how to get around that.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Blogger question. I've been a blogger user for years, but recently I've noticed that I can no longer share images from there to forums. I used to be able to copy and paste whole pages, now if I try only the text gets copied, no photos. Any other users experiencing this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, not so nice, it turns out.
After linking this picture from Pinterest I got the message that Pinterest may ban the source where it came from. "The picture contains elements that may be used for self-mutilation." This could mean that any picture, showing tools with a sharp edge, is illegal according to the rules of Pinterest. This makes it impossible to show how you can use a tool or what tools you can use for a job. Therefor Pinterest may not be a good choice as photoserver.

On 9/29/2023 at 10:30 PM, Louis E said:

Well, not so nice, it turns out.
After linking this picture from Pinterest I got the message that Pinterest may ban the source where it came from. "The picture contains elements that may be used for self-mutilation." This could mean that any picture, showing tools with a sharp edge, is illegal according to the rules of Pinterest. This makes it impossible to show how you can use a tool or what tools you can use for a job. Therefor Pinterest may not be a good choice as photoserver.

Recently at Pinterest HQ:

Very Expensive consultant: "Hey, I've got a great idea. If we hide all the pictures of knives and blades, people will forget they exist. People who want to cut themselves will have no clue how to do it and will abandon the very idea."

Very expensive executive: "Damn, that's a great plan!" Do it."

• 2 months later...