Hotlinking Photo Host Choices

Gorby

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the tips here - after trying out my photo bucket account (for the 1st time in quite a few years …..) and realising they want to charge me a load of pennies to continue with them, I was left with a dilemma.

Until I found this post !!

I am now a new member of Hobby Photo Host :) 

Perfect and swift solution to a problem I didn’t know I had until this morning  !! 

I’ve been using postimage lately and haven’t had any issues. 

Flickr is good but you have to pay and village.photos was good but they haven’t updated their security certificate so don’t work properly with the forums.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/02/2020 at 14:07, Gorby said:

Britmodeller by post might take up a little too much time in the day.

To be honest, Village Photos is one of the few that I didn't read the T&C for, so thanks for pointing that out. There are a few others that reserve the right to use your photos as well, but they often try to hide the fact by using virtually impenetrable legalese.

You offerin?

Perhaps you could do a 'Britmodeller Pro' membership which includes photo-hosting. I'd be very tempted.

Makes absolute sense to me. Sign me up!

Ben

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A heads up: I've been using Scalemates and it was working well but it now seems all those links are broken. The address still looks the same so I can't see if Scalemates are blocking it or if something else has gone wrong.

Thus far I've been unable to fix it. Even if I recreate the link it just doesn't work.

I might try the hobbyphotohost option listed above but really if Britmodeller started hosting them directly I'd be happy to pay a membership to support it and to avoid the possibility of all my links vanishing on the whim of a third party. Not saying Scalemates have broken them on this occasion but it does seem to be a common problem when external hosting sites are used and most of the threads I read on here are quite useless without photos.

You don't mention which part of Scalemates isn't working for you.  I've just done a check here and it all seems to show photos OK.  The Tomcat isn't one of mine, this was just a random search on Scalemates.

Mike

16 minutes ago, bootneck said:

You don't mention which part of Scalemates isn't working for you.  I've just done a check here and it all seems to show photos OK.  The Tomcat isn't one of mine, this was just a random search on Scalemates.

Mike

Sorry, I mean the photos I link from Scalemates are no longer showing on Britmodeller. All the photos are still available on Scalemates. 

All of the Britmodeller threads of mine that I have checked now have broken links. I upload photos to Scalemates and then link to them on Britmodeller threads.

Edited by kiseca

I understand now.  I've just had a look at one of your WIPs and can see what you mean.  I'm not very up to date with Scalemates files but I notice that it shows the filenames as Ubuntu files.  I wonder if that could be the problem? 

Can anyone provide advice on this for kiseca?

Mike

• Thanks 1

If anyone can help me I'd very much appreciate it. I can't see what's changed but I can tell it's the same on any browser and different networks. So it doesn't look like my browser / network is suddenpy blocking them.

@kiseca I have photo's on Scalemates as well, but don't use them to link to Britmodeller. I don't know how it used to be, but right now, the links are not working, like you said. 

https://www.scalemates.com/albums/img/5/5/7/1337557-40157-67-1440.jpg

It looks to me like the link is properly formatted for the BM software to recognize this as an image link, and to try to embed it in your post. I think for this to work (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) , BM needs a response from the server (in this case scalemates) that says it's ok to retrieve the image like that. If so, the image will be embedded into the post and you can see it. Most likely, something has changed on the scalemates server, maybe on purpose, maybe not. You could send an email to the site admin, he usually responds quite quickly to queries. 

The other option is that BM is blocking images from scalemates, maybe Mike (root admin @Mike I mean) knows something about that?

Sorry Mike for dragging you into this 🙂 

• Thanks 1

You might have to change your source for hosting your images (copies of - never upload your originals to a hosting site!).  I find that Imgur is a decent and free hosting site.

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks both, and that reflects the behaviour I am seeing when I try create a new link. If I paste the URL into my post, it used to wait a second or two then display the image. Now it just displays the URL as in @JeroenS 's post above.

If I instead use the "insert image from URL" option, the box turns red when I press "insert into post", suggesting that Britmodeller is unable to retrieve the image.

Scalemates has been a stable site for this for a long time it seems. I can move to Imgur or hobbyphotohost or something if I need to. I'll contact Scalemates admin and find out if anything changed there - I do really like that site so it's nice to be able to post and host there.

• Like 2

Removed Village Photo from the list, as it's been non-SSL for some length of time now, with no sign of them taking any action to rectify it.  It's a fair bet they're no longer playing. :shrug:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JeroenS said:

The other option is that BM is blocking images from scalemates, maybe Mike (root admin @Mike I mean) knows something about that?

Not us Bob.  It may be that Scalemates have blocked "leaching" of their hosted photos, but you'd have to ask them about that.  Defo not us. :yes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for that, Mike. I've emailed Scalemates, I'll let you all know what they say, if they do say anything. I don't see many photos with Scalemates watermarks on them so I think if they have blocked hosting it doesn't look like it would impact many people on BM.

This certainly explains my recent experiences with Village.photos. Many members here on BM say that they can't see my pictures. Village.photos hasn't been working as it did some years ago. It was brilliant back then. Guess I need to find a new picture host.

Cheers,

Antti

15 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

This certainly explains my recent experiences with Village.photos. Many members here on BM say that they can't see my pictures. Village.photos hasn't been working as it did some years ago. It was brilliant back then. Guess I need to find a new picture host.

Cheers,

Antti

I had exactly the same a few months ago, and changed over to Imgur. Very happy with them.

John.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

Yeah, ya do.  We only allow pics from secure hosts that have https:// at the start of their URL, as old-fashioned http:// isn't secure and can be compromised with minimal effort these days.  Village Photos didn't renew their SSL certificate what seems like a year or more ago, and as I said to @Bullbasket a little while ago, it's a fair bet that no-one's at the tiller, which is another concern. :shrug:

• Thanks 1