Hotlinking Photo Host Choices

Gorby

6 minutes ago, Gorby said:

You offerin?

Perhaps you could do a 'Britmodeller Pro' membership which includes photo-hosting. I'd be very tempted.

We've thought about it before, and had to dismiss it for a number of reasons.  There's the technical knowledge required (we don't have it), the size of server would be expensive (this one already costs a fortune), and we don't have the people to look after it.  There's also the security aspect, data protection, legal things to deal with, and it's no surprise that only BIG companies can afford to offer this type of service, and also gives a little insight into why some of the smaller companies have gone to the wall, and the remainder are taking up the slack and charging for the service.  It's common sense really, but not very helpful to us :shrug:

Saying that, you don't have any of those issues if half a dozen of you took out a 20gb slice of a server and set up your own FTP accounts with equal limits to prevent someone taking advantage.  All you'd need is one or two of you with the IT know-how, and you could make it work.  I managed to figure it out, and I had the worst teacher.... me! :frantic:

• Like 2

With regards to Village Photos, I've used the site ever since the Photoracket debacle. I know that a lot of people are wary of using the site because of the "not secure" message that comes up. This seems to apply when you are using Chrome to try and access the site, but I use Explorer for this purpose with no problems. With regards to their T&C's, I'm not unduly worried by them as the only photos that I put on there are my model photos, and they are different from ones that I take for magazine articles. Also, they don't have any of my financial details.

Also, just as an aside, the Canadian, Paul Owen, who runs the Track Link site, has recently started hosting members photos, so that you can upload them direct to the site from your computer. I don't know his setup, but he appears to be a one man band. Probably, TL is a smaller concern than BM as it is more niche, catering for AFV's only, with no Chat etc. pages, so maybe it is more viable because of that.

John.

• Like 1

The man who started Photobucket married a woman from my hometown.   They met at university and while there, he started a website for a place where his friends could store the then new medium of digital photographs.   It started as just that and soon began to grow.  At some point years later, he sold Photobucket for a whole lot of money.  I taught with his wife's sister and brother-in-law for many years.  They both told fascinating and incredible tales of the wealthy lifestyle of that couple. He owned at least two Ferraris, one for the track and one for the road, in his auto collection and had bought a "strip-mall" shopping center in Denver, remodeling it into storage space for his cars and gun collection.    The two I taught with described attending road races and being hosted by the Ferrari Owner's Association for lavish food and drink spreads.   

All that from simply storing folks' pics!   Who knows?  Perhaps the next multimillionaire is sitting around right now, reading BM and making plans for their own hosting site...😃

Edited by Gary Brantley
a comma?
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Track Link site, has recently started hosting members photos,

Scalemates also host photos on their own server, but they are funded (at least in part) by advertising.

• Like 1

I hate to sound like a thicky but I have in the last few weeks converted from XP to Windows 10.

With the start of the Lancaster GB very soon I intended to post my first photo(s) but in the topic box it asks to load pics by URL ?

The photos are saved on my desktop after the transfer of all data onto the new desktop . . . 

When I right click it shows 'SAVE' but when I come to PASTE  , nothing. I dont know how you get to cut and paste  the URL code ??

Needless to say I am not au fait with the new system  . . .

Ian

59 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

I hate to sound like a thicky but I have in the last few weeks converted from XP to Windows 10.

With the start of the Lancaster GB very soon I intended to post my first photo(s) but in the topic box it asks to load pics by URL ?

The photos are saved on my desktop after the transfer of all data onto the new desktop . . . 

When I right click it shows 'SAVE' but when I come to PASTE  , nothing. I dont know how you get to cut and paste  the URL code ??

Needless to say I am not au fait with the new system  . . .

Ian

Hi Ian, I'm not sure what you mean... You've posted photo's before, in your BM threads, right? What method did you use then?

• Thanks 1

Chris/Jeroen

I seem to have lost my photo hosting and have not posted since I changed over . . . .

I am trying to find the original host.

I have found the host and have tried to post a couple of photos which have appeared 😃

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

I assume that you mean that you are trying to cut an past direct from your computer? If so, that isn't possible, you'll need a photo host. Then the method of getting a URL depends on whatever host you choose.

I've just had a look at your previous photos (nice models by the way) and you have used 'Imgbb.com' and some look like they may be on 'Flickr'. If you still have your old photos on your computer, there is no need to go for the same photo host if you don't want to, but the next step is to decide on a suitable host.

• Thanks 1

Just to add to the One Drive costs

I pay for Microsoft Office 365 Home (6 users version) for the family,  as well as the Office suite, each user gets 1TB of One drive storage included

You can get it for about £50 usually (just checked Amazon now and its at £56) which is less than I use to pay for that much storage alone

Mark

(who is not sponsored by Microsoft 😄)

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Sparkie said:

I pay for Microsoft Office 365 Home (6 users version) for the family,  as well as the Office suite, each user gets 1TB of One drive storage included

Thanks Sparkie. That's useful information so I'll add it to the main post. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

@DanReed it looks as if you can see the photos while others can't.

I haven't used Imgur so apologies if I'm wide of the mark but have you set the images to be viewed by anyone or just you? They'll need to be set for  'public' if you'd like others to see them.

Brian

Dan, when you paste the code into the reply box, just highlight that extra bit then backspace to eliminate it. I have to do the same with Flickr images. 

Ah! The good old days when I could use Flickr's EMBED option. Those were good times.

Chris