1/48 Revell (Monogram) B-58A Hustler plus goodies!

Icarus

Good evening.  Doing this a commission build.  Here's the starting material - Reboxed Monogram kit, plus resin jet pipes, turned brass pitot and white metal undercarriage (this will be a biggie!!)

spacer.png

Yes - that is also an Airfix Club (Special Hobby) 1/72 Meteor F8 further along the production line...

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
Incorrect picture file

A 1/48 Hustler is on the wish list for me......along with a display case suitably sized to accommodate! Will be looking forwards to the progress on this build.

Always loved the way the ejector seats worked on these with the clamshell 'lifepod' style , and thought you could do quite the 'action shot' if one set up a diorama showing a supersonic crew ejection just seconds before a  big Surface to Air S-25 missile makes contact......... but im letting my imagination run away here! 

2 hours ago, CYA said:

the link works, the embedded picture not so much. Exciting build though, I love the old monogram kits.

I'll have to agree with @CYA link works but not the image. I have 3 of these big kits over the last 30+ years. Falls in line with the B-36, B-29, B-52, PBY and so on. Will watch with great interest.

Ron VanDerwarker

Whew! Pant! Just got in! I'll just sit next to Dennis and share his popcorn. That's going to be a BIG lawn dart in 1/48! Let the games begin; if this build is anything like the other Monogram Hustlers I have seen, I hope Icarus has a big tube of filler!

Mike

• Like 1

And one final one from me, that I forgot to post last night.  That is a lot of engine!  Just priming with Alclad primer, ready for some fun later on with various Alclad shades.  Not obvious in this picture perhaps due to the primer colour, but the nozzle detail on the resin is exquisite!

spacer.png

That is the exhaust nozzle from a 1/144 F-16A on the bottom right BTW, which is also on the production line.

Icarus

Edited by Icarus

• Icarus changed the title to 1/48 Revell (Monogram) B-58A Hustler plus goodies!

Very odd - not sure what is happening with *oogle photos.  Anyway, I will include a link below each picture.

So, This is last night's engine nozzle prime:

spacer.png

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOx_TTeY7YHfLwp-j7pxkJy1wx71tzb3lSxx-gl7AwduIA_45sHqMT0Cwvjr9gdlg/photo/AF1QipOAd35hYcuG6J8HEgy3jWivlHTOgM3HSBuiSqxC?key=czZQcmRVV0Z1RHBHWE5seFZIR29IT2JTc2djcFhn

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 1

One of my favourite parts of making jet models is working with Alclads.  This shows the detail associated with the exquisite resin nozzles.  The flash has removed much of the colour, but this is a steel base, with a misting of burnt iron and pale burnt metal at the distal tips of the nozzle petals:

spacer.png

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN6NT1tB_Ha6lEqDJIWnWFoOItjXk_Y92kl7fD4ffaUvgSPvu43N2SSbwp6SbYG5w?key=T3ZKREJ5aVMwS0FleDRrb2ZSNE9aaW52Z0xUdXJ3

With a light oil pin wash, this will come look great!

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
Image file
  • Like 2

OOOOooo One cannot have too many Hustlers. I have one done and another in the wings, but I need to vac new canopy glass, I'm always ready for new ideas. Now where did I put my chair?

Looking good!  (and the photo links seem to be working for me) 

Ive noticed that a good way of taking photos of model kits without getting 'overflash' is to take a photo in HDR mode (if your camera-phone supports it) - this then takes a high, low and mid exposure photos, and blends them together. It sometimes overemphasies details and contrast, but can avoid the 'whiteout' flash tends to cause.

spacer.png
Please excuse the terrible quality of this model and its paint finish, it has no places amongst the other examples on BM, just showing HDR on a flash taken photo! 

• Like 1

Thank you everyone - hopefully the previous image links above now work.  Needed to "share" the images in oogle photos (which is something I've never had to do before on this forum..)

Anyway, this kit truly is an "oldie but goodie" kit!  See images of the painting, and eventual weathering, of the cockpit and escape capsule - wonderful moulded on detail for me to paint.  I know most of this won't be particularly visible when complete, but at least I (and the commissioner!) will know it's there!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And yes Gareth, I did use my old surgical loupes for this work!

Icarus

Edited by Icarus