Hawker Hunter 3 - World speed record holder questions

John R

I have read that the finish was specially produced for Hawker by Cellon. In Barrie Hygates book the P1052 is described as having gloss duck egg blue and in the photo referred to earlier the colour looks more blue than the Xtracolor 'sky' I haved used on my Seahawks and the Humbrol 90, Matt Beige Green, specified by Pavla for their WB188 mod kit.

The paint was specially mixed and gifted to Hawker by fellow Kingston-upon-Thames company Cellon. When the Hunter Flying Club in Exeter (as was) painted up GA.11 WV256 to represent WB188 for the 50th anniversary of the first flight in 2001 they managed to match the paint to the original spec - or so I was told by John Sparks. When I had a chance to look at the aircraft up close it was slightly different but very close to Sky. I got the impression it was ever so slightly 'greyer' than actual Sky, but without being able to compare them side-by-side it's difficult to be more scientific.

There are plenty of photos around of WV256/WB188 so you can make your own mind up but, if I was modelling P.1067 WB188, I'd use Sky with a touch of light grey I think.

(James, if you're reading this, ask John if he's still got any paint left! :) )

• Like 3

Thank you, Stephen, for confirming that I haven't completely lost my marbles.

The trouble with photos is that they are so dependent on the light under which they were taken, the exposure and the printing that you cannot get a definitive result. I do have a photo of WV256 which I took at in sunshine, I must go and find it.

Also if you look for 'Sky' in Britmodeller there are so many posts about what colour it actually is and who makes the closest match. Trying to wade through them to reach a conclusion just reduces me to a gibbering idiot reaching for the bottle.

Oh Dear! After all the above I finally went to apply the underwing 'WB 188' and they are TOO XXXXX LARGE! (Sorry chaps).  I offered them up to sort out which bits went on the u/c doors and found that some parts would have to fit on the main doors but it was obvious from the videos that they did not appear there. I suppose that I could make up some black ones to match the museum a/c and with them being down below nobody would notice.

Does anybody know of a picture of the underside of WB188 in green or red so I can make a set? I'm sure that I have seen one at some time but can find no trace. Please help a desperate man!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2019 at 6:54 PM, John R said:

Does anybody know of a picture of the underside of WB188 in green or red so I can make a set? I'm sure that I have seen one at some time but can find no trace. Please help a desperate man!

Not brilliant references, but maybe enough to help,

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1952/1952 - 3283.html

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1953/1953 - 1246.html?search=hawker hunter

https://www.agefotostock.com/age/en/Stock-Images/Rights-Managed/MEV-11952887

I have made my own decals in the past, with mixed results, but they were in colour. The ones I want now are white and you can't print white. One way around this is to create a coloured background with white letters and print it on white decal paper. This can work but it is a great deal of trouble getting the coloured background to match the colour of the paint on the model.

John

1 hour ago, John R said:

Help! Jure, your links have ceased to work and I didn't make copies of the pictures.

Do they still work for you or has Flight Global changed?

John

I have just taken a look here:

https://www.flightglobal.com/flight-international/flight-magazine-archive

It seems that the site is under maintenance.

Mike

spacer.pngspacer.pngThis is an interesting topic as it shows just how hard it is to rely on photos or museum aircraft when looking at details. It can be a nightmare.

as a total aside, I was lucky enough to know Neville a little. I also drove his wife, Gwen, home from the hospital on the fateful night. Some months later she was guest of honour at Dunsfold show when they flew a tribute to him with Charlie Brown in Spitfire BM597 and Jonathan Whaley in ‘Miss Demeanor’. 

When Gwen arrived I nipped down to say hello and she said ‘I have a present for you’ and gave me Neville’s own commemorative mug for the 25th anniversary of the speed record.

Any eye may have watered a tad.

Neville was the sort of man you want your heroes to be. Unassuming, approachable, friendly and funny with not a trace of ego. I once asked him ‘seeing as the first rule of military life is ‘never volunteer’, why did you volunteer for three months in the desert? And did you really think you were only going for three months?’ He smiled, and said, ‘do you know, looking back, it was rather naive!’

• Like 6

Thank you for that, Melvin.

For anybody following this saga I have managed to create some decals and am now engaged in trying to apply them to the various u/c doors. It might appear in RFI in the not too distant future if I don't get taken away by the men in white coats.

What I did was to produce a decal with white letters on a red background and print it on a white decal sheet. This was then trimmed to remove any white around the edge and applied to the model. However this leaves a trace of white around the edge where the underlying white decal sheet can be seen so this is carefully brushed with a trace of red paint to hide it.

The colour of the red background was determined by painting some white decal sheet with the paint used for the model and then scanning this into Photoshop. A test piece was then printed on the white decal sheet and then the colour adjusted until I was happy with the match. This was a lot easier than I feared it would be.

John

• Like 1