As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Nikola Topalov

COMPLEMENTARY PRE-SHADING - Trying out a new pre-shading method

Hi guys,

I am not sure if this fits here but I would like to share this with you:

As some of the folks in the aircraft topic already know, I am trying out a new technique for pre-shading, which I borrowed from my experience in art, painting and colour theory, and which I call COMPLEMENTARY PRE-SHADING for now. Maybe someone has done this before and if so, please share your experience.

My guinnea pig for this one is Tamiya's older and somewhat simpler 1/48 Zeke.

I used complementary colours of the base colour to pre-shade, aiming at more interesting colour variation and contrast. The base colour in this case is IJN Ash Gray, so the complementary colour for pre-shading is purple, Tamiya X-16 to be precise. I also primed the model in Vallejo Dark Yellow primer, this being the complementary of the pre-shading color.

This is more of an artistic than realistic approach, but I like to try and balance both in my models. The colors are much better in reality, but you all know that excuse, haha. Will have to wait for "proper" photos in the end. 

Below are the results. I like it so far, looks promising. 
You be the judges.

Thanks for looking! 

Cheers,

Nikola

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

You can even go further when doing a "virtual light source" method (I don't know the proper name :)) and introduce "warm" colours for pre-shading "cold" base colors in areas which will be in shade and vice versa, "cold" pre-shading for "warm" ones. This is done in painting. 

Will try that as well one day. 

Best, 

Nikola

Haven't seen this with classic models, yet. Though I know the technique is used by some of the best figure painters to set the overall mood of a miniature or to guide the eye to important areas.

I feel the effect you achieved is subtle but gives a very vivid look to the model without looking out of scale or unrealistic. Good job!

11 hours ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

Haven't seen this with classic models, yet. Though I know the technique is used by some of the best figure painters to set the overall mood of a miniature or to guide the eye to important areas.

I feel the effect you achieved is subtle but gives a very vivid look to the model without looking out of scale or unrealistic. Good job!

Hi Schwarz-Brot, 

Thank you for your feedback. Much appreciated! 

Yes, I think the trick with this is that, compared to regular pre-shading, there is a much finer line of "just about right" between not enough base color coverage (looks too unrealistic) and too much coverage (effect lost). 

Will see how it develops further. 

Could you post some pics of the figures which you have mentioned? I would like to see how they turned out. Thanks in advance. 

Best, 

Nikola

Hard to find something I've seen here and there. As far as I remember this one was done with contrasting colours on the same surface, though not on purpose. http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2015/11/step-by-step-narok.html

Roman is a master of every contrast possible from bright to dark, desaturated to saturated, colour, warmth, you name it...  And he is using his knowledge very well to create true art on his 3d-canvas.

Figure painters often use a two-colour approach to prepare their miniatures: Prime in black, then hit with white primer from the direction of the imagined light source. This way setting the overall light situation in a very easy way and pushing the overall contrast with a basic dark-bright contrast. Basically this is nothing else then preshading on a larger scale. You need to know that in advanced figure painting usually the light situation is fully painted, unlike in classic modelling where usually a diffuse even lighting like a cloudy day is "simulated".

The paint used by figure painters is often not very opaque, many use "blending" to achieve smooth colour transitions. Think of working with a multitude of coloured filters, applied layer by layer to build up the final saturation. With this approach the desaturated - saturated contrast is possible, though only few use this to push the overall contrast (Roman is one of them). Usually this is used to guide the eye to some important areas, the face, or maybe a magic spellbook, a little hidden detail in the sculpt in a rather undefined area.

I have seen some tutorials where the shadows were enhanced by painting a contrasting colour to the later visible colour. Then the overall global colour was applied all over. Remember, like a filter. While binding all together, the shadows become very moody and vivid because of the contrasting colour. They also are more saturated then the brighter colour, so "make these pop" even more.

This is also typically used to paint beardshadows. Basically before the face is painted the beard is sketched in with a blue, then painted over with the skintones. It of course also works the other way around - paint the whole face, then add a very thinned down blue or even green to add the effect. Can be seen on this one by me: http://www.coolminiornot.com/396737?browseid=8736693

Generally the coolminiornot gallery is a great place for inspiration if you filter for the higher rated miniatures. Though you'll find 99% fantasy and scifi figures.

On 11/15/2019 at 11:54 PM, Schwarz-Brot said:

Hard to find something I've seen here and there. As far as I remember this one was done with contrasting colours on the same surface, though not on purpose. http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2015/11/step-by-step-narok.html

Roman is a master of every contrast possible from bright to dark, desaturated to saturated, colour, warmth, you name it...  And he is using his knowledge very well to create true art on his 3d-canvas.

Figure painters often use a two-colour approach to prepare their miniatures: Prime in black, then hit with white primer from the direction of the imagined light source. This way setting the overall light situation in a very easy way and pushing the overall contrast with a basic dark-bright contrast. Basically this is nothing else then preshading on a larger scale. You need to know that in advanced figure painting usually the light situation is fully painted, unlike in classic modelling where usually a diffuse even lighting like a cloudy day is "simulated".

The paint used by figure painters is often not very opaque, many use "blending" to achieve smooth colour transitions. Think of working with a multitude of coloured filters, applied layer by layer to build up the final saturation. With this approach the desaturated - saturated contrast is possible, though only few use this to push the overall contrast (Roman is one of them). Usually this is used to guide the eye to some important areas, the face, or maybe a magic spellbook, a little hidden detail in the sculpt in a rather undefined area.

I have seen some tutorials where the shadows were enhanced by painting a contrasting colour to the later visible colour. Then the overall global colour was applied all over. Remember, like a filter. While binding all together, the shadows become very moody and vivid because of the contrasting colour. They also are more saturated then the brighter colour, so "make these pop" even more.

This is also typically used to paint beardshadows. Basically before the face is painted the beard is sketched in with a blue, then painted over with the skintones. It of course also works the other way around - paint the whole face, then add a very thinned down blue or even green to add the effect. Can be seen on this one by me: http://www.coolminiornot.com/396737?browseid=8736693

Generally the coolminiornot gallery is a great place for inspiration if you filter for the higher rated miniatures. Though you'll find 99% fantasy and scifi figures.

Hi Schwarz-Brot, 

Thank you very much! Appreciated! Very interesting and inspirational stuff!

Best,

NIkola

Hi guys,

For those interested, below is the link to the finished model:

Thanks for looking guys!

Cheers,

Nikola

Hi guys,

Just wanted to share with you, in this topic section as well, my rough "virtual test" for the complementary pre-shading method for my current build - P61 Widow. The colors are approximate. Here it goes:

Step 1 - Dark yellow primer:

spacer.png

Step 2 - Complementary pre-shading:

spacer.png

Step 3 - Base color:

spacer.png

Bellow - Regular pre-shading for comparison:

spacer.png

Thanks for looking!

Best,

Nikola

Edited by Nikola Topalov

Hi guys,

Step 1 and 2 (priming and complementary pre-shading) finished:

- Primer - Vallejo German Dark Yellow Surface Primer 73.604
- Complementary pre-shading - Tamiya XF-7 Flat Red (and darker shade of it made by mixing with XF-1 Flat Black) and X-16 Purple.
- Highlights - Tamiya XF-55 Deck Tan

Next step: Base colors - Tamiya XF-62 Olive Drab and XF-53 Neutral Gray.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Nikola

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hi gents,

Here she is with the first set of thin coats of base color (Tamiya's XF-62 Olive Drab) over the complementary pre-shading scheme.

I think that the color variation should be subtler so I might go with a couple of more thin coats of OD or go straight to filters and do it that way.

I will decide on that when I see the model tomorrow in daylight. 

Apologies for the image quality.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Nikola

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hi guys,

Update on the complementary pre-shading effect on the Widow:

She received a second set of very thin coats (85%, thinner) this time those being Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow. I chose to lighten the OD with a yellow since OD is actually a mixture of yellow and black. 

The effect of complementary pre-shading is subtle, but I think that it does add richness to the color scheme of the model. 

The first couple of photos are taken outside in daylight and the rest is from the study. This is as close as I could get to showing what I actually see in reality without taking fancy photos. 

Criticism and comments are more than welcome!

Again, thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Nikola

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Nikola Topalov

Hi gents,

Just thought that I could share an almost finished work in progress where the subtle effects of Complementary Pre-Shading can be seen after weathering:

https://imgur.com/a/jPxnz4l

Comments and criticism are more than welcome.

Thanks for looking!

Best,

Nikola