F-6C 111th TRS.

Corsairfoxfouruncle

I believe you are seeing all the codes (just two letters) for that time. The letters CO are for aircraft "O" of "C" flight. Carried aft of the national insignia on the left and forward of the national insignia on the right. I do of course stand to be corrected.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, TBC said:

I believe you are seeing all the codes (just two letters) for that time. The letters CO are for aircraft "O" of "C" flight. Carried aft of the national insignia on the left and forward of the national insignia on the right. I do of course stand to be corrected.

I did find one website that showed other mustangs of the unit. All were similarly marked so I think that will work for me. Any idea of the colors on the Rudder crosshatching ? My guess is Black/White ? 

111 recon squadron had N5 as squadron codes, with individual aircraft in single letter + as mentioned a second letter for the flight ID. This is fairly unique as hardly any other unit marked the flights in this manner. 

The striped tail was a late-war feature from 1945, and from what I can gather it's red diagonal stripes on the tail. 

• Thanks 1

Boman is correct! I went to the P-51 SIG site and can confirm that the 111th TRS flew F6B's, F6C's, F6D's and F-6K's, and that the squadron codes were indeed N5 with the individual letter and flight letter aft of the national insignia...took me a while to figure out what the CO, CV, CD codes in some of the photos were all about, since I knew the squadron code was N5. The SIG mentioned that the 111th preferred the F6C, as the camera fit was much better than the D's and K's. Get going on the build, @Corsairfoxfouruncle

Mike

BTW, the 111th TRS had a very famous pilot assigned when they were flying F-102's out of Ellington Field....Lt. George W. Bush!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0a/Lt_George_W_Bush_-_Texas_ANG_photo.jpg

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Get going on the build, @Corsairfoxfouruncle!

Its going in the P-51 group build next month its one of a few option for markings but moving closer to the top. All the markings are for F-6B’s or C’s. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

1 hour ago, Hornet133 said:

If you go here  http://www.americanairmuseum.com/unit/4098  you will see quite a few photos of their airframes. Only ONE photo shows use of the 'N5' code, all the others have only the 2 letter codes.

So you may wish to think again.

According to discussion on the P-51 SIG, the 111th TRS did not adopt the N5 squadron codes until 1945; I think there was no squadron code as such before 1945, just the individual aircraft + flight letter  aft of the national insignia, so what style of code a 111th TRS Mustang displayed would indeed depend upon the time period, as Hornet133 has stated. Bottom line- go with a photo!

Mike

• Like 2