USN GOSHAWK Biplane Fighter-bomber (Lindberg 1/48)

This was a relaxing OOB build between more complicated projects.

Lindberg's ancient F11C-2 Goshawk is basic as nails, but a nice straightforward molding. It's fairly clean compared to many of their other contemporary offerings (in terms of mold-release pits and such), with no detail to speak of, but captures the sort of stumpy blowfly look of many of the between-the-wars fighter designs rather nicely.

Color scheme is via the single kit decal option, but those decals went down beautifully. Rigged with EZ-Line.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 27

Nicely done, Greg! Even though the kit is ancient, you certainly did it justice. Paintwork is excellent, and the rigging looks very sharp. Was this kit molded in a fun color? Many years ago I had the P-6E kits (with two kits in one box for some reason) that was molded in bright yellow. 

Aircraft from this era were interesting... I feel like technology was moving forward so quickly these things were obsolete before leaving the assembly line. 

Thanks for sharing!

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Gents.

29 minutes ago, RadMax8 said:

Was this kit molded in a fun color? Many years ago I had the P-6E kits (with two kits in one box for some reason) that was molded in bright yellow. 

This one was in plain silver plastic...but now that you mention it, I remember getting some of Lindberg's jet models in the '60s in that radioactive sunshine yellow plastic. :D

Very nice and great to see what a fine job can be done on an old kit!  I love the yellow wing aircraft so I think I also will need to keep an eye open for this kit. Thanks for posting this, great inspiration!

• Thanks 1

Beauty mate! :clap2: I have four of these old Impact/Lindberg "between the wars" fighter kits.  I've done the Hawker Fury and have the Bristol Bulldog, Gloster Gladiator and this Curtis Goshawk left in the stash.  I think they build up into nice models OOB, and with a bit of extra effort really make a great build.  I've bought a resin upgrade kit for the Goshawk and have actually considered giving it a go recently.  Your Goshawk looks so fine and it's giving me a lot of inspiration too.  Thanks for sharing her with us here!  😀

My Fury I, before the fall...

Hawker%20Fury%20mk%20II%20port%203-4%20v

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

Beauty mate! :clap2: I have four of these old Impact/Lindberg "between the wars" fighter kits.  I've done the Hawker Fury and have the Bristol Bulldog, Gloster Gladiator and this Curtis Goshawk left in the stash.  I think they build up into nice models OOB, and with a bit of extra effort really make a great build.  I've bought a resin upgrade kit for the Goshawk and have actually considered giving it a go recently.  Your Goshawk looks so fine and it's giving me a lot of inspiration too.  Thanks for sharing her with us here!  😀

My Fury I, before the fall...

Hawker%20Fury%20mk%20II%20port%203-4%20v

Sweet Fury! :yes::yes::yes:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

The only discordant note seems to be the supposedly fabric covered ailerons, full of rivets…

All control surfaces had a metall frame and metal skin, but of course not riveted!

A very pleasant model Thorfinn! I converted mine to BFC-2 status many years ago. It will need a major overhaul now, I'm afraid.

I like the colours you used - they have a nice luster. Just one remark if you don't mind:  Navy painting instructions called for aluminium dope on all fabric surfaces like the wings and for light grey (aircraft grey) on all metal parts, e.g. the fuselage. This changed with SR-15b to overall aluminium in ca. 1937. Curtiss actually got an exemption to paint theirs in aluminium earlier. Thus the F11C may have already appeared in overall silver (except upper wing). On monochrome pictures this change is often obscured because the shimmer of aluminium dope on fabric and lacquer on metal was different, too.

I posted this question a year ago here because I wanted to be sure my BFC-2 was overall silver.

Cheers, Michael

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Toryu said:

All control surfaces had a metall frame and metal skin, but of course not riveted!

Oh, really? All? Metal frames, of course, but the model has at least what looks like fabric covered elevators. The rudder would also have been fabric covered, wouldn't it? 🤔

I'm no U.S. 'tween the wars pundit, as you apparently are, but when I look at photos I'm not so sure about the ailerons. On Udet's Goshawk in the Krakow museum the ailerons do indeed look metal skinned with no hint of ribs, but maybe that was a custom job for Ernst U?

Anyway, as far as I can see, these ailerons do look fabric covered:

33-jpg.500005

But what do I know… 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Hi @Spitfire31

Thanks for the picture which is very helpful for this discussion. When you look very closely you may see a difference in the surface between wing and tailplane. The tailplane skin doesn't droop (very flat) and there are no scallops at the trailing edge. This is due to the thin alloy skinning which was possibly fixed by spot-welding (not sure if they had this technique already) or by screwing on. Actually the whole tail is all-metal, not just the elevators. We could have some doubts regarding the ailerons but "Curtiss Hawks in action" states that all control surfaces were all-metal.

I guess Curtiss had to follow Boeing whose F4B-3 received all-metall tails and ailerons (though easier to discern due to the corrugated sheets being used). Both companies were in a tough competition at that time.

Sorry for the digression Thorfinn.

Cheers, Michael

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1