British ASW camouflage...

Dana Bell

On 11/18/2019 at 5:31 PM, rossm said:

I think that one eluded Paul Lucas when he wrote his Sunderland article.

Hi Ross.

In what magazine was this article published? Having no luck searching at Guidline Publications.

2 hours ago, Bengt said:

Hi Ross.

In what magazine was this article published? Having no luck searching at Guidline Publications.

Try reading this thread - post 38 on page 2 will tell you.

3 hours ago, Bengt said:

Hi Ross.

Would you like a copy of that article? I scanned it last November and have sent it to a few other interested members. Just PM me your email address. Oh, does your email have a maximum size that it will accept? My regular email doesn't do large very well, so I use G-mail ( GOOGLE email ). It has a 15 mb. max per each email.

Chris

15 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Would you like a copy of that article? I scanned it last November and have sent it to a few other interested members. Just PM me your email address. Oh, does your email have a maximum size that it will accept? My regular email doesn't do large very well, so I use G-mail ( GOOGLE email ). It has a 15 mb. max per each email.

Chris

Yes, please! PM Sent.

Bengt

On 11/12/2019 at 11:44 PM, brewerjerry said:

Hi

Bowyer mentions in Coastal colours,

that he saw in sept 1941 with 502 Sqn , a Whitley with pink undersurfaces.

also with 502 Sqn a whitley T4141 with sky undersurfaces

cheers

Jerry

This was reported here on BM some time ago. Unfortunately I cannot trace the thread, anyway here's what the posted document says:

29th October, 1941

At present, two aircraft of No. 502 Squadron are operating with a camouflage that does not strictly conform to the new scheme, one being duck-egg blue and the other pink.

I think the letter refers to EDSG/DSG/White as the 'new' scheme, whereas duck-egg blue seems to be used as an informal reference to Sky.

Claudio

During the autumn of 1941 Coastal Command were carrying out extensive tests for a new camo scheme. This ended with the white scheme but there might have been other colour combinations tested. I've got som pictures of this, photographed from an AVIA document at TNA. I'll have a look.

Bengt

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bengt said:

During the autumn of 1941 Coastal Command were carrying out extensive tests for a new camo scheme. This ended with the white scheme but there might have been other colour combinations tested. I've got som pictures of this, photographed from an AVIA document at TNA. I'll have a look.

Bengt

I wonder if they experimented with plain pale grey. I just saw footage one of the new RAF Poseidon Maritime patrol jobs in pale grey and it was hard to spot against cloud and blue sky.

Has anyone seen Coastal Command Review No. 2 (1942)?  I just found a note that this British publication included a report on pages 27-29 explaining the Coastal Command camouflage changes.  While I don't need a copy (even though I don't have one), it would appear to include additional information appropriate to this discussion.

Cheers,

Dana

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dana Bell said:

Has anyone seen Coastal Command Review No. 2 (1942)?  I just found a note that this British publication included a report on pages 27-29 explaining the Coastal Command camouflage changes.  While I don't need a copy (even though I don't have one), it would appear to include additional information appropriate to this discussion.

Cheers,

Dana

Hi

if all fails 

there is a copy preserved in the australian war museum research centre

dont know if it is available online ? 

cheers

jerry

21 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

if all fails 

there is a copy preserved in the australian war museum research centre

dont know if it is available online ? 

cheers

jerry

I am pretty sure I have a copy somewhere in storage (a fiver from a charity shop - it is not exactly a rare edition), but if I remember correctly the info in such a booklet was minimal.

Here is photos from AIR 15/395 which have several photos taken during testing with Whitleys and Wellingtons. Also a page of Coastal Command review Vol. 1 nr. 2 with much the same.

Bengtspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Bengt

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Bringing this thread back to life....

I am studying Paul Lucas article on Sunderlands in Model Aircraft Monthly. It says that AMO A.664/42, dated 2 July 1942, specifies the serial number to be black (Night) on the white fuselage sides. However, on some photos, and many profile drawings, these are clearly Light Slate Grey. Is there a directive specifying the change of colour for the serials? I cannot find anything about this in the article.

Nils

21 minutes ago, Vingtor said:

Bringing this thread back to life....

I am studying Paul Lucas article on Sunderlands in Model Aircraft Monthly. It says that AMO A.664/42, dated 2 July 1942, specifies the serial number to be black (Night) on the white fuselage sides. However, on some photos, and many profile drawings, these are clearly Light Slate Grey. Is there a directive specifying the change of colour for the serials? I cannot find anything about this in the article.

Nils

By the time you get to 23rd Feb 1943 DTD360 states Aircraft for Coastal Duties except PR, Met, ASR and Special Duties should have Light Slate grey serials. I think this was the document used by manufacturers and it may not be the first issue. See http://hrmtech.com/SIG/coastal_cam.asp for what I have been able to find out.

• Like 1