Revell 1/32nd Harrier GR.1 re-release

Radleigh

Saw this on the Revell stand at Telford/IPMS Nationals... but not seen it mentioned here. Sorry, no photos.. 

But I just found this -  https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/revell-132-hawker-harrier-gr1-model-kit-gift-set/

spacer.png

Edited by Radleigh
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have not seen one of those for a LONG time. I owned one once, bought from a show, it had been slightly started and was the original 1972 issue. with the best box art. Decided it was going to need more scratch building than I wanted to put in at the time, and sold it on eBay for a considerable sum. In addition to having some areas of glaring simplification it is based on a pre-production aeroplane, not a standard service aeroplane.

I am vaguely tempted to get one to build as a P.1127 (RAF), rather like this:

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=2882

This article gives a sense of what it takes to make something resembling an early service GR.1 or AV-8A out of it. Lots of work 

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=220

There is some good info in this thread here on BM too:

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've got an original 1960s boxing of the kit in the loft bought a Very long time ago , and occasionally I'll haul it down look at it , suck my teeth , and back it goes.. 

What I'm hoping is that reemergence of this one MIGHT provoke some AM companies to so the necessary with cockpits/etc.. but I'm really not holding my breath on that,  perhaps we might get a Gen 1 Harrier/Sea Harrier in 32nd for the 40th Anniversary of the Falklands, but again I've always been an optimist 

3 hours ago, colin ritchie said:

I've got an original 1960s boxing of the kit in the loft bought a Very long time ago , and occasionally I'll haul it down look at it , suck my teeth , and back it goes.. 

What I'm hoping is that reemergence of this one MIGHT provoke some AM companies to so the necessary with cockpits/etc.. but I'm really not holding my breath on that,  perhaps we might get a Gen 1 Harrier/Sea Harrier in 32nd for the 40th Anniversary of the Falklands, but again I've always been an optimist 

I won't personally spend anything on AM accessories because it will more than likely double the cost of the model. However, many years ago I did most of the work illustrated  on the basic kit. 

It wasn't difficult and, I quite enjoyed. All it cost was some plastic sheet,rod,strip and a lot of imagination!😀

I'm quite happy to see this kit again. I will probably get a couple and, it will give me a chance to tackle the P.1127

Allan

Ps. Am I missing something or, did the person who built model illustrated in the kit box put the deflector plates behind the rear nozzles on the wrong way round?

Edited by Albeback52

31 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Ps. Am I missing something or, did the person who built model illustrated in the kit box put the deflector plates behind the rear nozzles on the wrong way round?

Yes they did!

I built it as a teenager for a friend, happy memories. There are some pretty nasty shape issues that I never noticed then, I think a P.1127 or Kestrel conversion would be about as much work as making an accurate GR.1. Nice to see it back at a reasonable price.

Colin    

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

Run away, kit has more than serious shape issues, if one wants big early Harrier 1/24 Airfix is the way to go, far less hassle...

Nobody forced to buy it. Far from running away, I have ordered two. It is unmistakable as a Harrrier and, that works for me. I don't mind doing a bit scratch building detail work on it.

The Airfix kit( if you can find one at a sensible price) is very basic and, also requires a lot of work.

Allan

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

Nobody forced to buy it. Far from running away, I have ordered two. It is unmistakable as a Harrrier and, that works for me. I don't mind doing a bit scratch building detail work on it.

The Airfix kit( if you can find one at a sensible price) is very basic and, also requires a lot of work.

Allan

Comparing Airfix to Revell, you have at least accurate outline in the former, unlike Revell kit that has more than serious shape issues, both are old and it shows, but Airfix Harrier (details aside) is again more or less accurate representation of the real plane, Revell is not. Many people dont know what is hiding in the box, and may think that its a good kit-its not, and there should be no reason not to state it.

Edited by Thomas V.

58 minutes ago, Thomas V. said:

Comparing Airfix to Revell, you have at least accurate outline in the former, unlike Revell kit that has more than serious shape issues, both are old and it shows, but Airfix Harrier (details aside) is again more or less accurate representation of the real plane, Revell is not. Many people dont know what is hiding in the box, and may think that its a good kit-its not, and there should be no reason not to state it.

I am not bothered about accuracy or otherwise. I have ordered two of these kits and, I am happy to do a bit of work to improve them.

The definition of "good" or "bad" is very subjective and, down to the individual.

In your opinion it is bad. Fair enough. I'm not going to argue with that. It isn't difficult to find out about a kit's history. People can then make their own choices

Allan

• Like 1

Nostalgia overload!

I got the original boxing, at least I think it's the original with the aircraft carrier in the background, as a birthday present. Loved it, especially the opening engine cover. I think this is probably the first model I painted diligently, interior first!

John

• Like 2

My late Dad used to work with the GR1 Harriers mid 70's in Germany, RAF Wildenrath, got to see them as a kid close up many times, to me it's the best looking of all the Harrier's, know this Revell kit is still a very old moulding kit and that ... apart from not being my scale puts me off, if it was a Tamiya 1/32 new tool would be all over it because of my love for this model of Jet though, but that's not gonna happen is it :) If Airfix were to re-tool their old 1/24 GR1 Harrier I'd consider that too, built one (again as a kid) while we lived in Germany and I was seeing the real thing nearly every day, amazing kit in its time for sure.

Heard here on BM there may be a new tool 1/48 GR1 coming soon from someone? Now that's what I want, what I really really want.

27 minutes ago, One 48 said:

My late Dad used to work with the GR1 Harriers mid 70's in Germany, RAF Wildenrath, got to see them as a kid close up many times, to me it's the best looking of all the Harrier's, know this Revell kit is still a very old moulding kit and that ... apart from not being my scale puts me off, if it was a Tamiya 1/32 new tool would be all over it because of my love for this model of Jet though, but that's not gonna happen is it :) If Airfix were to re-tool their old 1/24 GR1 Harrier I'd consider that too, built one (again as a kid) while we lived in Germany and I was seeing the real thing nearly every day, amazing kit in its time for sure.

Heard here on BM there may be a new tool 1/48 GR1 coming soon from someone? Now that's what I want, what I really really want.

It's coming from Kinetic Models.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1