Testors or Italeri? 1/48th F-4S Phantom

Ghostbase

On 8/12/2021 at 3:54 AM, f111guru said:

Michael,

Best guess for me would be your on the right track. I've looked through all my reference photos on the S model and can safely say you can use the AIM-9L/or M missile. From behind the guidance unit back is blue and the guidance unit OD as the seeker head or guidance unit have been seen.

We in the USAF fly similar flyable missiles and our ground trainers were of a different paint scheme. So I'm going to guess with the images that are in my Navy file which I add the US Marines do fly with and without fins.

Coming along in fashion.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

Thanks Ron, it is information like this that is absolutely priceless! 👍 I was going to paint the both the Sparrows and Sidewinders main body in FS36375 grey; the AIM-7 guidance fins in FS36118, and the AIM-9 head in metallic black. I got this colour reference from the Furball decal sheet 'Bombcat Weapons Set' however I do like the AIM-9 all blue missile body so I think I will revisit this. The missiles that I am using are from the spares box. The Sidewinders are pretty good however the Sparrows are definitely not good so I might source some from a Hasegawa Aircraft Weapons set. Then again, when the model is completed very little can be seen of the Sparrows tucked away in their recesses beneath the fuselage. The Sidewinders definitely deserve some detail as they will be very visible.

Just a week to the F-4 Phantom Group Build on this forum, I am very minded to build the 1/48th Testors / Italeri RF-4C learning from the mistakes that I have made here.

Michael.

51377996809_704bde7a13_o.jpgF-4SAAM by Ghostbase, on Flickr

• Like 2