Testors or Italeri? 1/48th F-4S Phantom

Ghostbase

I have really got into the scale modelling doldrums this year and am in danger of ending 2019 having just finished one kit in the year. That isn't good! I have decided that I want to build something fairly straightforward and thin the stash out so I have chosen this kit:

49035172616_487c387499_b.jpgIMGP3285 by Michael Baldock, on Flickr

It is the Italeri 1/48th F-4S Phantom which was released sometime in the very early 90's. It is a very basic kit with raised panel lines, quite rigid plastic, and probably a fifth of the parts of a modern Zoukei-Mura offering. I bought it on eBay 12 years ago for a fiver so that might be a tenth of the Z-M offering 😉

The obligatory view of what is in the box:

49034674253_554ed7f816_b.jpgIMGP3286 by Michael Baldock, on Flickr

The Italeri boxed Phantom line has been interesting over the years because they have used the old ESCI moulds and also appear to have had a tie-in with Testors in the USA. This F-4S kit uses the same core parts as their F-4E, F-4G and maybe RF-4C Testors based offerings of the 1980's whereas their ESCI based Phantoms appeared from the early noughties. Personally I think that the ESCI based Phantoms are by far the better kits.

Back to the kit, what can I build?

49035171641_b9290e6c45_b.jpgIMGP3297 by Michael Baldock, on Flickr

It isn't a sophisticated set of decals but I do like the choices, USN VF-151 and USMC VMFA-321 birds in the final TPS paint scheme used before these old gals went to the boneyard.

I do have several items to add to the build:

49035172451_d29b92a5df_b.jpgIMGP3287 by Michael Baldock, on Flickr

I will be using AK Interactive acrylic paints for airbrush, a SuperScale decal set dated 2006 focused on VF-103, and maybe some unused parts from an Academy F-4B kit.

Testors or Italeri? All will be revealed 🙂

Michael

Michael,

You are not far off the mark when you suggest Testors or Italeri. Started a very long time ago best guess mid 70's with ESCI. Transformed into Italeri and sublet and reboxed as Testors/Italeri. Testors corp also bought into Fujimi at one time. This RF I built in the mid 90's is a RF nose from the Testors kit and the body and upper fuselage and cockpit of a Hasegawa F-4B.

100_5958 100_5951

So your work is cut out for you and have started with great interest. Will watch the progress as you build your F-4S. I took these in the late 80's on Cannon AFB transient alert ramp.

IMG_0267 IMG_0266 IMG_0269

Enjoy and press on with pride.

All The Best

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 5

1 hour ago, f111guru said:

Michael,

You are not far off the mark when you suggest Testors or Italeri. Started a very long time ago best guess mid 70's with ESCI. Transformed into Italeri and sublet and reboxed as Testors/Italeri. Testors corp also bought into Fujimi at one time. This RF I built in the mid 90's is a RF nose from the Testors kit and the body and upper fuselage and cockpit of a Hasegawa F-4B.

So your work is cut out for you and have started with great interest. Will watch the progress as you build your F-4S. I took these in the late 80's on Cannon AFB transient alert ramp.Enjoy and press on with pride.

All The Best

Ron VanDerwarker

Thanks Ron, great job on the RF-4B and shows what can be done if you have the courage to chop and mix kits. I didn't know about the Testors buy-in to Fujimi, that makes life even more interesting! Thanks for the photos of the VF-103 jets, exactly what I was looking for 👍

Michael

Got to work on this kit yesterday afternoon, this photo shows many of the kit parts after cutting off the trees and a trim. As far as I can tell the only additional parts specific to this F-4S kit as opposed to the other Testors Phantoms are the two nose cone halves. The two upper wing halves clearly show the slat runners which distinguish the F-4S variant of the Navy Phantoms.

49034673553_8b32571ded_b.jpgIMGP3295 by Michael Baldock, on Flickr

So, Testors or Italeri? This is the lightbulb moment of the build:

49035171966_fe29503d46_b.jpgIMGP3293 by Michael Baldock, on Flickr

The original kit is Testors! I got to start looking at the parts and I noticed that locating pins were pretty far and few in between especially on these fuel tank halves. In fact they went together much better than expected.

49035394792_8bddda1b4b_b.jpgIMGP3294 by Michael Baldock, on Flickr.

The next step was to start the cockpit area...

Michael

• Like 1

The final stage yesterday afternoon was to put the cockpit together. The end result looked like this:

49035394377_c29f01b91a_b.jpgIMGP3300 by Michael Baldock, on Flickr

The cockpit base is one piece and is supposed to have a backing panel as well as two plain instrument panels where the instruments are depicted by decals. Each of the seats is made up of three parts, a left and right half and a panel on top with the ejector seat handles. I have just put them together and painted them. Hmm. One IPMS reviewer described the cockpit as "a work of fiction" and I am inclined to agree.

I did make one change, I had a rear seater's instrument panel spare from my Academy F-4B kit so I decided to use that in place of the flat piece of plastic supplied by Testors and I dry painted all the instrument panels with silver. I think it is located too far forward but I am going to wait until I fit the assembly into the forward section.

49034673263_eeede5dd3f_b.jpgIMGP3298 by Michael Baldock, on Flickr

The next stage was to cement the two fuselage halves together:

49040465212_54d1e13677_b.jpgIMGP3302 by Michael Baldock, on Flickr

Well, it all seems to be going along swimmingly well, even mounted the cockpit base onto the forward lower fuselage panel ready to be installed into the main fuselage.

49039746048_90898ca176_b.jpgIMGP3303 by Michael Baldock, on Flickr

What could possibly go wrong? 😉

Michael

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, whiskey said:

Check and see if Sprue Brothers or the48ers if they still have an update set for this by Steel-Beach. It's not a lot but it truly is enough to bring this kit up to an accurate and acceptable standard.

Thanks for the lead, I took a look and there is an update set for the F-4S although it is for the Hasegawa kit. Wll be interesting to see what improvements the Steel Beach set could make to the Testors kit as I proceed with this build.

Michael

Just looking in the Academy F-4B spares box to see what could be used to upgrade this old Testors kit of over 30 years ago and I identified these parts:

49056128458_ee9c1f19bc_b.jpgIMGP3307size by Michael Baldock, on Flickr

Burner cans a definite possibility and I have started to reduce on in size to see whether it might fit. Several antennae. The kit wheels are decent but again the Academy wheels would be just a little better.

Michael

Edited by Ghostbase
  • Like 1

AIM-9 Sidewinders! Which ones should I fit to this Phantom? Bear in mind that the F-4S Phantom only served with VF-103 from 1981 to January 1983 so quite a narrow window.

The kit offering appears to be the AIM-9J/P which I understand was only used by the US Air Force so definitely not correct for this build!

The Academy kit supplies four marks of the Sidewinder, I am already using the AIM-9D on my F-4B build, so I would like to hang the AIM-9L on this F-4S.

Michael

Edited by Ghostbase

A couple of posts ago I asked what could possibly go wrong? It wasn't entirely tongue in cheek, I did try to build the F-4G version of this kit quite few years ago and it ended up in the bin! Lets see why...

Have added the cockpit tub to the main fuselage. Looks good from this angle:

49066573581_da86e7e139_k.jpgIMGP3324 by Michael Baldock, on Flickr

A closer view of the nose and cockpit section. It looks a bit sparse for a Phantom but this is an old kit so happy to make allowances for that.

49066057043_4b763ef3fe_k.jpgIMGP3325 by Michael Baldock, on Flickr

The join between the cockpit base and the fuselage is very good on this side, had had an initial sanding before a coat of primer:

49066788782_d08339b85f_k.jpgIMGP3326 by Michael Baldock, on Flickr

And this is what went wrong:

49066578301_d988b82881_k.jpgIMGP3327 by Michael Baldock, on Flickr

I think what has happened here is that the cockpit assembly connects to the fuselage halves via two tabs on either side, these tabs push the fuselage sides too far apart hence the lack of fit. I decided to get one side to sit flush (my previous photo) and accept the misfit on just one side. If I complete this build it will be going into a display cabinet so only the good side will be visible. At the same time I wonder if I can fix this with maybe filler or plastic card? Or is it even worth trying? Am going to think on it.

Michael 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yep "Ouch!" and "Argh! Bummer" about sum it up 😢However I am not deterred! Today I cemented the nose cone onto the model and then gave it a spray of Halfords grey primer and took a step back to decide what to do next.

I am happy with the 'good' side of the model as seen below. Maybe just a little filler on the nose cone join but I am confident I can make something of this.

49070258918_e5d772526b_b.jpgIMGP3329 by Michael Baldock, on Flickr

The 'not so good' side will need work however I placed the intake splitter plate on the model and I can see more clearly where I need to work on this. Just not sure how yet 😉

49070987452_18ec475fe3_b.jpgIMGP3330 by Michael Baldock, on Flickr

My decision is to continue with the build. Overall, for a kit of the early 80's I am pleased with how it has gone together. The next step is to add some F-4S detail under the wings:

49070258098_7fcb6d2379_b.jpgIMGP3328 by Michael Baldock, on Flickr

Plastic card and filler next 😎

Michael

Now that I've cleared the cobwebs out and am seeing clearer, I've built the RF-4B Bicentennial scheme for a work mate In the late 80's early 90's. His brother in law was in the Marines for a bit. Having found a kit at a yard sale he asked if I would build it for him. I remember seeing the way the cockpit went in and thought I could assemble the fuselage and install the cockpit after it dried. The bottom plate would fit quit well and tried to install the cockpit but the alignment tabs wouldn't slide in. I trimmed them down and after a while it fit. The bottom went in place without a hitch.

I did not have that problem when I built my RF-4B because most of it was Hasegawa. The only parts from the Testors kit was the nose section from the windscreen forward, radome and bottom plate.

Sorry should have remembered that. I usually remember the ones that give me fits.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

Ouch!  Probably a bit late now, but is there any way you can "squeeze" the starboard fuselage part in order to reduce the overhang?  Failing that, I wonder if some styrene sheet "plates" could be stuck on to build up the lower side, leaving the fairing-in for underneath (or the lower "corner")?  I think it would be easier to hide there than smack on the side of the fuselage.  Or, as you propose, just position it so you can admire the port side!

I have to admit, reading through this thread makes me want to go paw one of my Phantom kits, though I'm happy to say that I don't have any of this mold, just Monogram and Hasegawa.  I have bought some ESCI (etc) kits lately, though...

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 10:03 PM, f111guru said:

Now that I've cleared the cobwebs out and am seeing clearer, I've built the RF-4B Bicentennial scheme for a work mate In the late 80's early 90's. His brother in law was in the Marines for a bit. Having found a kit at a yard sale he asked if I would build it for him. I remember seeing the way the cockpit went in and thought I could assemble the fuselage and install the cockpit after it dried. The bottom plate would fit quit well and tried to install the cockpit but the alignment tabs wouldn't slide in. I trimmed them down and after a while it fit. The bottom went in place without a hitch.

I did not have that problem when I built my RF-4B because most of it was Hasegawa. The only parts from the Testors kit was the nose section from the windscreen forward, radome and bottom plate.

Sorry should have remembered that. I usually remember the ones that give me fits.

Ron VanDerwarker

Thanks Ron, I think that you have identified the problem and the solution. maybe next time I might try a tad more dry-fitting before cementing things together!

Michael

On 11/16/2019 at 8:16 AM, gingerbob said:

Ouch!  Probably a bit late now, but is there any way you can "squeeze" the starboard fuselage part in order to reduce the overhang?  Failing that, I wonder if some styrene sheet "plates" could be stuck on to build up the lower side, leaving the fairing-in for underneath (or the lower "corner")?  I think it would be easier to hide there than smack on the side of the fuselage.  Or, as you propose, just position it so you can admire the port side!

I have to admit, reading through this thread makes me want to go paw one of my Phantom kits, though I'm happy to say that I don't have any of this mold, just Monogram and Hasegawa.  I have bought some ESCI (etc) kits lately, though...

Thanks gingerbob, I think I am going to try your idea of adding styrene sheet "plates" to build up the lower side, or at least to the nose cone.

Michael

Earlier in the build I think I did refer to a couple of other Italeri 1/48th scale Phantom kits and I just unearthed this RF-4C from the stash. It was the granddaddy of them all, being released in 1980 and was moulded in glossy silver plastic with decals for a USAF unit and also a West German RF-4E. Interestingly it was also released by Testors in 1980 with markings for the same RF-4C and a USMC RF-4B which I think is the kit that Ron VanDerwarker is referring to above. This kit has the hard bulged wings and I understand that could apply to some of the later RF-4B aircraft however I am not an expert so will leave that alone!

49104475877_97e565cba0_b.jpgRF-4C kit by Michael Baldock, on Flickr

I also posed the question "Testors or Italeri?" and the photo below appears to contradict my theory that the base model was produced by Testors!

49104475857_31de78e79c_b.jpgRF-4C nose by Michael Baldock, on Flickr

Am just thinking I might as well build all three kits and clear some space in the stash. I could sell them but they would go for pennies so not really worth that effort.

Michael

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

One year and eight months later! What happened?

The F-4S has been sitting on the shelf of shame (in fact it is a wallpaper pasting table) along with several other kits in varoius stages of completion; an F-14B, an F-105G, an F-8E, an F-84F, an FJ-4 and a P-40B. I make no secret that I encountered huge problems with learning to airbrush acylic paints around 18 months ago and this F-4S was the worst affected of my builds.

51311670314_d2c8088979_b.jpg20210714_102056 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

I still want to complete this F-4S as BuNo 153872 in the low visibility TPS colours of FS35237 Medium Grey, FS36320 Dark Ghost Grey, and FS36375 Light Ghost Grey, operated by VF-103. I originally used AK Interactive paints from their 'US Modern Aircraft 1' Air Series and these are the colours that can be seen on the model. To my mind there was very little colour difference between the Medium Grey and the Dark Ghost Grey. I have since acquired the Vallejo 'US Navy and USMC Colors From 70's to Present' Air War Color Series set so I am going to give that a try. It feels like I have done most of the hard work on this build already. More to come. Michael

51311670279_1f41a5a73d_b.jpg20210714_102412 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

• Like 2

Fear not Michael. I can say I've been there more often than not. But I don't throw anything away. Parts are boxed up and marked so I know what it is. I haven't finished anything for myself in 5 years and haven't opened a box in 3.

Many many years ago I tried to use Polly S water based paints with some success. Had at the time a Badger 200 maybe and a 350. Could not afford the 100 and 150 series. Eventually purchased a Passche H and VL series airbrush. The Badger just quit working. Thinking clogged, no, clean. Changed tips and needles, and thinned what I was using still did not spray any paint. So then I changed to the Passche. That was some 25 or so years ago.

This is all Hasegawa. Started out as a slatted E with a J fuselage. Have used the wings to make an early hard winged E for a Chico gunfighter aircraft.

F-4S-phantom-3

Mid nineties I think is when I started and got this far. Got stalled on the radar section. Second image

F-4S-phantom-4

When this stalled I got a call to build this on commission.

_IMG_0023

Hasegawa slatted E with a Verlinden update set and some scratch built extras.

_IMG_0030

So I'll tag along and watch. Your using Vallejo paint and am curious as to how they airbrush. I do switch back and forth changing tip and head sizes with my Passche H series. I find that I can write my name with the number 1 head and tip if the paint is thinned correctly. So press on with pride Michael your doing just fine.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 2

On 7/14/2021 at 4:39 PM, f111guru said:

This is all Hasegawa. Started out as a slatted E with a J fuselage. Have used the wings to make an early hard winged E for a Chico gunfighter aircraft.

F-4S-phantom-3

So I'll tag along and watch. Your using Vallejo paint and am curious as to how they airbrush. I do switch back and forth changing tip and head sizes with my Passche H series. I find that I can write my name with the number 1 head and tip if the paint is thinned correctly. So press on with pride Michael your doing just fine.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

Ron, I love the F-4E / F-4J combination, an 'MG' coded F-4 is high on my 'want to do' list one day. Thanks for the motivational comments 🙂

I broke out the airbrush yesterday and experimented with the paints. I started with AK Interactive AK 2057 Light Ghost Grey on one of the underwing drop tanks. Maybe I got the thinning wrong but the paint settled on the primed plastic like an aerosol and stayed like that; I thought "been here before" and cleaned it off with running water and returned the bottle to the pack.

I then tried Vallejo AV70615 which is marked as USN L Ghost Grey (as well as 'Surface Primer'). I am using a H&S Ultra airbrush with medium needle and head and a relatively weak portable air pump. I settled upon a mix of 15 drops of paint, 1 drop of vallejo retarder, 2 drops of flow improver, and 3 drops of thinner and I am happy with the application which can be seen in this photo:

51316780636_0a309f4484_b.jpg20210716_180925 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

I have decided to load her with four AIM-7 Sparrows and four AIM-9 Sidewinders. I understand that the TPS painted F-14 Tomcats of the same era as this Phantom carried toned down weapons and these were painted in FS36375 Light Ghost Grey. The AIM-9 Sidewinders that I using here came from the spares box and look like either the AIM-9L or M variant however I have no idea whether a line unit like VF-103 used these versions of the Sidewinder in the early 80's or not.

Next colour to be applied will be FS36320 Dark Ghost Grey. Fingers crossed! Michael

• Like 1

A quick update today, I have applied the remaining two TPS colour scheme paints, being FS36320 Dark Ghost Grey, and FS35237 Medium Grey. Again applied with my H&S Ultra airbrush using medium nozzle and acrylic paints from the Vallejo 'Air War' color series "US Navy and USMC Colors From 70's to Present". This took a lot of masking however I am happy with the final results:-

51320779495_b071ce2118_b.jpg20210718_182806 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

I kept to the mixing ratio of 10 parts paint / 1 part retarder medium / 2 parts airbrush flow improver / 2 parts thinner.

51319774861_8d51ecc3f1_b.jpg20210718_182819 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

The Vallejo acrylics have gone on really well and should look good once I apply the decals and some weathering. The masking went well though I can see a couple of areas that need attention. I outlined the pattern that I wanted using a very thin "Artist Curves" vinyl tape and then masked around that using scotch poster tape. I had left 24 hours between coats and I had no problems with paint lifting under the tape.

51319038152_eb4156f1ec_b.jpg20210718_182959 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

So, I am a happy scale modeller 😊 Eighteen months ago I was ready to give up with all the problems that I was having with airbrushing acrylics paints, now I think I have overcome them. Onwards! Michael.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Continued working yesterday on this 'interesting' old Testors / Italeri F-4S, have completed the paintwork by adding Lifecolor Exhaust Metal to the area just above the jet exhausts, and Lifecolor Dark Aluminium to the area around the horizontal stabilators and the inboard sections of the stabilators themselves. Again the paint airbrushed on smoothly and easily.

51358938157_9679ec55fc_o.jpg20210805_125443 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

The next stage is to make a decision regards which decals to apply to the model. I was going to complete her in the markings of VF-103 however, I have to be honest, this isn't the best of kits or builds and with the recent release of the Zoukei-Mura F-4S I anticipate that some of the Hasegawa F-4S kits might become available at more reasonable second-hand prices. I have decided to save the Superscale decals and instead use the decals from the kit.

51358938172_61e4fecb2a_o.jpg20210805_125420 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

I decided to complete her as a Marines VMFA-321 bird, I have always liked the 'Hell's Angels' markings and the subtle way that they turned the 'slime lights' on the tail fin into a trident. The decals must be upwards of 30 years old however they separated easily from the backing paper and applied quite well. I had to be careful to wash them in the water before applying them because they had some sort of residue on them.

51358938127_04fdc25f16_o.jpg20210805_160639 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

All considered this is going well and I hope to have the model completed next week.

Michael

• Like 1

Some more progress today, getting so close to a completion...

All the kit decals are on 👍

I then applied a coating of Humbrol Acrylic Varnish Satin 135 to all painted surfaces to seal in the decals and give a consistent finish.

The next stage was to turn the model over and start to attach parts to the underside:-

51373003739_04ed8554a1_b.jpg20210811_212805 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

At this point I had attached the belly tank, the three undercarriage legs and the main doors.

This is supposed to be an F-4S which is a sub-type of the Phantom that I have not built before. How accurate it it? I am not sure however the kit does provide quite a lot of underwing detail for the slats as seen here:-

51373004569_977f41241c_b.jpg20210811_212831 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

Not so much change from this viewpoint however all the fuel tanks are on, also most of the undercarriage and doors, and missile pylons. The AIM-7 and AIM-9 missiles are painted but not decalled. Cockpit canopys are ready. Stabilators just need one metallic application.

51372275741_8c88636a22_b.jpg20210811_220432 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

Will be nice to have a 'completion' 🙂 Michael

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 5:45 AM, Ghostbase said:

Ron, I love the F-4E / F-4J combination, an 'MG' coded F-4 is high on my 'want to do' list one day. Thanks for the motivational comments 🙂

I broke out the airbrush yesterday and experimented with the paints. I started with AK Interactive AK 2057 Light Ghost Grey on one of the underwing drop tanks. Maybe I got the thinning wrong but the paint settled on the primed plastic like an aerosol and stayed like that; I thought "been here before" and cleaned it off with running water and returned the bottle to the pack.

I then tried Vallejo AV70615 which is marked as USN L Ghost Grey (as well as 'Surface Primer'). I am using a H&S Ultra airbrush with medium needle and head and a relatively weak portable air pump. I settled upon a mix of 15 drops of paint, 1 drop of vallejo retarder, 2 drops of flow improver, and 3 drops of thinner and I am happy with the application which can be seen in this photo:

51316780636_0a309f4484_b.jpg20210716_180925 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

I have decided to load her with four AIM-7 Sparrows and four AIM-9 Sidewinders. I understand that the TPS painted F-14 Tomcats of the same era as this Phantom carried toned down weapons and these were painted in FS36375 Light Ghost Grey. The AIM-9 Sidewinders that I using here came from the spares box and look like either the AIM-9L or M variant however I have no idea whether a line unit like VF-103 used these versions of the Sidewinder in the early 80's or not.

Next colour to be applied will be FS36320 Dark Ghost Grey. Fingers crossed! Michael

Michael,

Best guess for me would be your on the right track. I've looked through all my reference photos on the S model and can safely say you can use the AIM-9L/or M missile. From behind the guidance unit back is blue and the guidance unit OD as the seeker head or guidance unit have been seen. Such as:

CATM9_002

With or without fins. Also: up close USN live round courtesy of the US Navy

USN Photo AIM-9 030412-N-2385R-011 USN Photo AIM-9 030320-N-4953E-017

We in the USAF fly similar flyable missiles and our ground trainers were of a different paint scheme. So I'm going to guess with the images that are in my Navy file which I add the US Marines do fly with and without fins.

Coming along in fashion.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker