New Airfix 1/350 scale HMS Queen Elizabeth

st george

32 minutes ago, st george said:

Thanks Dave.

Great. Email sent then, and great work on your two models mate. Any chance you could do a build thread on these forums?

I have had a build thread going on the ATF which is detailing two builds, a full-hull version plus a waterline version which I am making for myself. Airfix have asked for a build description of the full-hull version for their Workbench Blog so I will be editing the build thread to just show that. When it has been done, I will post a copy here with some more photos of the completed model.

Dave

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Is this something that anyone can provide feedback to Airfix on, or is it only exclusive to those who received the letter above?

I too would love to see Airfix produce a 1/350 scale kit of the QE class-it would go nicely with my Type 45 destroyer and hopefully a Type 26 Frigate will emerge in 1/350 at some point (Also from Airfix, hint, hint).

But, I really believe that Airfix also need to release a 1/700 scale version as well, because, let's face it, this is where the volume sales will be.

3 hours ago, B.sin said:

I wish Airfix would tool a 1/350th

scale model of the  original Queen Elizabeth ocean liner.

I'd be MUCH happier with a 1:350 Queen Elizabeth superdreadnought - in her "as commissioned" state ...

• Like 1

Just now, Admiral Puff said:

I'd be MUCH happier with a 1:350 Queen Elizabeth superdreadnought - in her "as commissioned" state ...

Confess I was surprised 2016 came and went with no QE model. Warspite, Malaya or Barham. I guess the numbers don’t crunch the right way for one

7 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Confess I was surprised 2016 came and went with no QE model. Warspite, Malaya or Barham. I guess the numbers don’t crunch the right way for one

That would have been the time to do it ...

I have a couple of Trumpeter Warspites, which have her post her final refit, with a view to converting back - one to Warspite "as commissioned", the other as Malaya post her first refit (with the truncated funnels). They're both a LONG way down the road, though! Trumpeter have done both in 1:700, but I like 'em big. 

38 minutes ago, RussellE said:

Is this something that anyone can provide feedback to Airfix on, or is it only exclusive to those who received the letter above?

That wasn't a letter sent out to punters but an explanation on the Airfix stand as to why that model was built and to ask for feedback. If you want to provide feedback yourself on this build or wish to let Airfix know what kits you would like to see released, send them an email to [email protected]

Dave

6 minutes ago, davecov said:

That wasn't a letter sent out to punters but an explanation on the Airfix stand as to why that model was built and to ask for feedback. If you want to provide feedback yourself on this build or wish to let Airfix know what kits you would like to see released, send them an email to [email protected]

Dave

Dave, you are an absolute legend for scratch building a 1/350 scale QE CV, not just once but 3 times! 😀 Something that lack of time would never allow me to do!

A kit on the other hand opens a world of possibilities. Letter now being formulated ready to send to Horby 😃

• Like 1

I have asked Airfix if I can make one of their first QE kits off the production line. It remains to be seen if they ever remember to send me one!

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, davecov said:

I have asked Airfix if I can make one of their first QE kits off the production line. It remains to be seen if they ever remember to send me one!

Dave

If they do, ask them for a second kit and I'll build that one 🤣

• Like 1

Nice! Hopefully, Airfix will provide both options when they produce their kit. 

E-mail sent to Airfix.

I'd love to see a 1/350, but that might be too big and expensive for many. Would they make one to 1/600 and be out of sync with the rest of the modelling world or start a new-to-them 1/700 scale range? A chance to do other modern RN subjects, too? 

And I'd love to see F-35B and Merlin 3 and 4 models to go alongside in 1/72. Perhaps a Wildcat, too...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I was pleasantly surprised to see that on the Airfix stand. Can they do the refitted variant with Cats and Traps too :whistle:

Seriously though (I'm no fan of the F-35) that would be an excellent kit to produce in 1/350 and 1/700 too.

Fascinating to see models of both projected versions side-by-side at the FAA Museum, Yeovilton. Interesting how the design has changed in places on the STOVL carrier. C`mon Airfix, be a chum!

2 hours ago, sniperUK said:

Just spotted the Prince of Wales sailing south in the North Channel between Northern Ireland and Scotland, she's huge. 

When HMS QE made her first, night transit of the Forth Rail Bridge it was genuinely eerie the way her massive size blocked out the lights on the bridge as she passed by, and all that could be heard in the low light was a slight humming noise.

It was otherworldly.

It were great! 👽:)👽

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

Nice! Hopefully, Airfix will provide both options when they produce their kit. 

E-mail sent to Airfix.

I'd love to see a 1/350, but that might be too big and expensive for many. Would they make one to 1/600 and be out of sync with the rest of the modelling world or start a new-to-them 1/700 scale range? A chance to do other modern RN subjects, too? 

And I'd love to see F-35B and Merlin 3 and 4 models to go alongside in 1/72. Perhaps a Wildcat, too...

I think 1/350 and 1/700 are the scales for ships these days. Whilst 1/600 was historically Airfix's naval scale, a modern kit of a RN vessel would do well to be in 1/700 for compatibility with kits of other modern navies from other manufacturers.

Having said that, Airfix have forayed into 1/700 already in the form of their release of the Titanic.

What would be interesting and probably a popular move would be for Airfix to release the QE/POW in both 1/350 and 1/700 scales and further on down the track bolster the range with the Type 26 and 31 Frigates in both scales. They could also re-introduce their Type 45 DD to bolster the range.

To give you a good idea of the size of a 1/350 QE carrier, here are two pictures showing my 2014 1/350 HMS Queen Elizabeth build alongside the Airfix 1/350 HMS Daring.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Dave

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1