Help Please - Resin Prep

I've not used a huge amount of resin and I'm sure a grown-up will be along soon to provide advice based on more extensive experience.

When using resin I would wash the parts in a weak washing up solution and rinse well. Careful with the parts as they are often thin, delicate and fragile.

I would then allow them to dry fully before use.

I'd also recommend priming before any painting, regardless of whether you use enamels or acrylics.

Now, over to the experts.............

Q

• Like 1

Not an expert I am only on my first kit however this is what I garnered from some research.

The resin kit is made by pouring liquid Polyester resin into a silicone rubber mould. The silicone rubber is sprayed with a release agent so the resin doesnt stick this needs to be removed from the resin parts before any gluing or painting is done or else nothing will stick.

I used warm water but it must not be hot 30 degrees C is about right what you would bathe a baby in. Some washing up liquids and soaps contain agents that stop the water sticking to the cutlery and plates to aid drying so I used pure soap flakes just enough to colour the water, then scrubbed everything very carefully with a toothbrush. I blow dried all the parts with compressed air to make sure no water got stuck in the corners. You can feel the resin before its cleaned its a slightly greasy feel when its cleaned it feels smooth but slightly grainy.

I've been making resin kits and using accessories since 1985 (!) and I rarely do any prep other than a light sand with 1200 grit (or finer) if the surface is a bit grainy. I always used to use Halfords primer on resin but now use Mr Surfacer and both work a treat. Resin will take MEK without dissolving (it's thermo-set rather than thermo-plastic), so any paint gaffes will be easy to remove :)

The release agent is veg oil. The best subtance for removing oil and grease is good old fashioned washing soda. It can still be found in stores such as Wilkos. Add a spoonful to some luke warm water and submerge the part giving them a light scrubbing with a soft toothbrush. The washing soda will react with the oil to form a scum wish you rinse off with clean water. Be careful, wear gloves,  it wil remove the natural oils in your skin and you will end up with washer woman's fingers.

• Like 1

Mate,

having spent far too many years casting the resin the spray is a silicone release agent, not a veg oil but slippery  !!! old tooth brush and washing up liquid and the treat it like plastic.

Always always wear a mask when cutting the stuff

Paul