TAMIYA 251/8 1 Krankenpanzerwagen

Morning all. For a break I decided to run another 251 along side my "Stuka Zu Fuss" for a change.

It's the very first 251 by Tamiya from the early 70's. Very, very basic compared to modern one's now available, but very good for scratch building and PE up-grading.....a blank canvas as such. There's very few images of this version from an interior view. I have what I can find on the web.....so going for it with what I have.

t4DHPUo.jpg

Started with the armour panels within, and then the brackets that support the two stretcher locations, flip up side bench and two individual seats for what I imagine would be the medics. The seat covers I do with Kit-Kat foil to recreate cracked leather. I had to replace the floor plate to in the rear, to cover over the detail for a standard 251. I decided for visual interest to replace the standard leather pad bench to go for a wooded slat one. Could have been a replacement in the field, or factory supplied cheaper version. The flip up single seat's I intend to change the hinges to something smaller.

SphW4Sf.jpg

Paint scheme is going in this direction.

x0rWHRv.jpg

• Like 12

22 hours ago, Hamden said:

Interesting conversion/update you don't see many ambulance versions built.

Looking forward to watching this progress

Roger

Yeah, I thought the same Roger. Plus the paint job will stand out in the display cabinet nicely.

19 hours ago, NigelD said:

You probably have this already, but, just in case, 

215 half track by David Doyle has 2 further pictures of the interior. 

Nigel

Thanks Nigel, I'll see if I can get a cheap enough copy somewhere, or try and find a free download site that someone might have up loaded it to.

Cheers

9 hours ago, Robert Jan Scholte v. Mast said:

Will follow along.

Like the Sd.Kfz.251 C&D variants.

Robert Jan

Glad to have you along Robert.....:yes:

18 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Another one to look forward to, I'll tag along if I may!

Cheers 

Darryl 

More the merrier mate......been wanting to tackle one of these for some time. More inclined to, with an old cheap Tamiya, rather than a £40+ one by Dragon.

Cheers mate

Bovington's 251 Ausf C (a riveted one) was originally a /8 but has sadly lost all of its interior and its rear doors over the years.  Possibly when it was loaned out in 1950/51 to a film company for the film "Hotel Sahara" and fitted with a pedestal 2cm gun mount.  I understand that it is shortly to go back on display but without any restoration.

In any case, while the interior layout of the /8 would have been similar between Ausf C and D, the fittings etc would necessarily have been different for the different hull shapes.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 2:50 PM, Das Abteilung said:

Bovington's 251 Ausf C (a riveted one) was originally a /8 but has sadly lost all of its interior and its rear doors over the years.  Possibly when it was loaned out in 1950/51 to a film company for the film "Hotel Sahara" and fitted with a pedestal 2cm gun mount.  I understand that it is shortly to go back on display but without any restoration.

In any case, while the interior layout of the /8 would have been similar between Ausf C and D, the fittings etc would necessarily have been different for the different hull shapes.

I think I've come across a couple of pix of that one DA on the web........mine's going to have to have some artistic licence......:D..... Some field modifications etc. Had a set back today and need to do another set of seating.....so will hopefully post a catch up over the weekend.......

4 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

As the mates said before, a different and interesting vehicle, ideal for a vignette ...:popcorn:

Cheers Simon 👍

Thanks Francis.....

6 hours ago, FORRESIRNMAN said:

I have a pair of these in my stash. Cant wait to see the results. Need Inspiration. 

I take it you mean a pair of the Tamiya "Hanomag's" Forresirnman.......as I've said, great blank canvas's to scratch build on. 

Here's where I stand at present. I'm waiting for some .5mm and 1.0mm square rod that'll be used on the bench supports. So should have thin position next update. I think I'm going to get some primer on the interior, to see where I need to repair any issues etc.There's a few errors in the stretcher rack on the floor, but close enough for a first shot. All look better once the primer goes on......catch you all again soon.

PBPBupn.jpg

ZlP99Qx.jpg

yZJED9n.jpg

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Robert Jan Scholte v. Mast said:

Top class work again. Like the anti-skid very much. Which set do you use?

Outside storage come from Ausführung C right? Bodywork backside however is Ausführung D? How come?

Kind regards,

Robert Jan 

Hi Robert......thanks mate....the anti-skid is from Eduard, German Floor Plate No.1.

The exterior to my knowledge is the Ausf C, even though the Tamiya box just states Sd.Kfz 251 "Hanomag". As regards the interior fittings, I'm taking my lead from what I believe are Ausf D examples; as that is all I really have at hand.

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Superb workmanship going there Simon, envious of your skills and patience!:blink:

Thanks JD, it's making a good practice run. 

cheers both.......:yes:

Simon.

Evening all.....weekend update. Got a lot done here and there. Finished the rear door mock-up of the locking set up. Also managed to get the interior primed, but then needed additional detail on the stretcher rack on the floor.......:think:

c93R0Pp.jpg

UB9gK2J.jpg

And also added in the canvas roof ribs. I'm taking this Ausf. C to have been retrofitted in the field, so I aim to have these ribs welded in place by a field work shop. Also in place a dry fitting of the cross bars that have chain supports for the upper stretcher rack...(still to be built)

KDGAMA4.jpg

Anyway....will try and Up date later in the week.

Cheers all

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 9

Evening all....quick update. At the stage of final priming, prior to base coats over the weekend. Decided in the end to have the upper stretcher rack folded away. The small micro chain is on order and should be here next week, that hangs from the cross bracers

Still also have to knock up the seat pads for the bench and fold down seat. All onboard tools ready to paint separately to add later on, and the indicators which I can't add until the two halves are put together. I also have in place of the bins on the left side, some adhoc field applied rack for spare wheels, tracks etc.

Z59Dw3u.jpg

FIW5se8.jpg

Anyway, off to have a break.....have a good weekend all.....

Simon....:yes:

• Like 12

Jealousy is a terrible thing! :thumbsup:

Superb workmanship once again Simon. Definitely something satisfying about turning one of these golden oldies into a winner.

Great work

Darryl 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1