TAMIYA 251/8 1 Krankenpanzerwagen

Interesting. You just come up with a detail I was looking for how to fix. The locks of the side boxes. 

Nice work to watch, keeps me motivated to rock on with mine (I will show very soon at Brit Modeler).

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

• Thanks 1

On 14/11/2019 at 21:01, Redcoat2966 said:

I take it you mean a pair of the Tamiya "Hanomag's" Forresirnman.......as I've said, great blank canvas's to scratch build on. 

Yes, Was gifted one and then bought another forgetting about the first one. Might build one out of the box then get a bit more creative like you for the other. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Jealousy is a terrible thing! :thumbsup:

Superb workmanship once again Simon. Definitely something satisfying about turning one of these golden oldies into a winner.

Great work

Darryl 

Cheers Darryl, really appreciate that.....and yes, perfect kits. Cheap, but still having the Tamiya fit qualities. Although this , what I think is their very first one from the early 70's has a few issues with warped parts. The top and bottom sections will take some time to close up and join; as the bottom section has warped sides....

Thanks again mate.....:yes:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Phil1960 said:

Great! What are the two tubes just in fornt?

ciao Filippo 

Hi Filippo....cheers....the tubes are for a large two pole banner with the red cross on. It should have been a square tube.....:think:....but round tube is all I have at present.....:D

11 hours ago, Robert Jan Scholte v. Mast said:

Interesting. You just come up with a detail I was looking for how to fix. The locks of the side boxes. 

Nice work to watch, keeps me motivated to rock on with mine (I will show very soon at Brit Modeler).

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Thanks Robert......I recommend the Eduard PE sets specific for these kits. The Ausf D version (35113) and this Ausf C version (35432)....worth it. Look forward to seeing your 251's.......:yes:

2 hours ago, FORRESIRNMAN said:

Yes, Was gifted one and then bought another forgetting about the first one. Might build one out of the box then get a bit more creative like you for the other. 

As I said to Robert, well worth getting the Eduard PE set. Out of the box, for me anyway, they are very basic......especially this Ausf C.....but still nice kit's, even if they are from the early 70's......

Thanks again all........:yes:

• Like 2

Evening all.....end of the weekend progress to date. Managed the time to get the internal chipping and wear and tear done prior to the dust stage, and percentage will be lost with that process. The bench and flip up single seat are still in their raw leather state also and will also be toned down with dust and weathering powders.

Jk53Izw.jpg

Rear door also chippd and weathered, ready for install in the top and bottom hull joining hopefully later in the week.

01f8tpJ.jpg

OG9USab.jpg

• Like 14

Stunning work there Simon......

See a wip like this and sometimes wonder why I bother. Perhaps I should take up bee keeping instead.:wacko:

Great paintwork, as ever, particularly like the leather affect.

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Stunning work there Simon......

See a wip like this and sometimes wonder why I bother. Perhaps I should take up bee keeping instead.:wacko:

Great paintwork, as ever, particularly like the leather affect.

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl......and I don't know about "why bother"........what I can say is, practice.

I practice on old "hulks" or even a piece of plastic card. Trying out different tools and brush's. A lot of the chipping and scratch effect I do with really cheap paste brush's from a craft store. Cut them short and literally bash them into the work top. I'll take a pic and show you.

The paint I use for scratch's and chipping is soluble for a while after drying. I go back over it with a damp cotton bud and soften them back a little. maybe I'll try and do a set of photo's to show you next stage on this 251.

Thanks again for the thumbs up.....:yes:

3 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Wow, like me a lot, the look ithe used look and the seats above all, they look very real, I love ...:popcorn:

Cheers Simon 👍

Cheers Francis......:yes:.

The seat is easy to do. Just glue and wrap a strip of plasticard in tin foil off a KitKat. It's the thinnest tin foil I can find, near leaf thickness like guilding. Then paint with a very light buff, and a dark grey wash to pick up the crease detail from the tin foil. Once dry, airbrush tones of the final leather colour you favour. In this case, as it's an early war 251 design, I imagine leather was still in use.

3 hours ago, vaoinas said:

Love, how the interior has turned out. It really looks great.

Thanks Vaoinas........appreciate that....:yes:

Thanks again all, for taking a look; and the the positive comments.

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some good / Interesting ideas there Simon, of course pics always help.

Think it's a case of playing around and finding techniques that work, the suggestions for leather is good too. :idea:

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1

Hi Darryl.....stay away from Bee keeping mate, from what I see you're doing just fine.....I like what you have done on the Firefly a lot. It's what I'm going for when I get to my Tasca one in the stash.

I agree, play around with what works. I have a host of pics too of actual worn vehicles that I use for reference. Some of the best are construction site vehicles you see around you today.

Cheers mate

Hello Simon. Where did you get reference for  right position of the beams that support the tarp?

I am using the Royal Models PE Set and it looks very similar to the Eduard set you are using.   

Did you adjust the length of the beams?

Great build so far, I'm learning....

Robert Jan

1 hour ago, Robert Jan Scholte v. Mast said:

Hello Simon. Where did you get reference for  right position of the beams that support the tarp?

I am using the Royal Models PE Set and it looks very similar to the Eduard set you are using.   

Did you adjust the length of the beams?

Great build so far, I'm learning....

Robert Jan

Hi Robert

For their position, I just estimated it....🙂. I took the full length of the open top (minus 5mm at each end) and then divided up the remaining measurement into 4 parts equally. In fact, there is a 5th crossbar at the front approx 5mm in from the front, but I decided not have it. It is approximately two thirds the height of the rear 4. 

The beams, do you mean the support bars for the stretcher rack, or the the tarps support cross bars. If the tarp support, I just used the length that came with the PE set, as is.

Thanks again....:yes:

Simon.

• Like 1

Hi Simon, I'll send the bee keeping suit back then, surprising what can be found in a black Friday sale!

Another great instalment, particularly like the distressed canvas affect on the stretcher.

Cheers

Darryl 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Hi Simon, I'll send the bee keeping suit back then, surprising what can be found in a black Friday sale!

Another great instalment, particularly like the distressed canvas affect on the stretcher.

Cheers

Darryl 

Yeah, stick to what you’re good at 😊🐝

The stretcher was done with the same kitkat foil as the leather seating. Then some layers of paint, wash’s and pigments in thinners as a final layer to back up the dark wash’s in the crease’s

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Never tried playing around mixing the pigments with anything....:hmmm:

Going to be shamelessly pinching some of these ideas!

Cheers

I'm always here Darryl, if you want to ask......maybe chat on Skype.....have a Britmodeller Skype club.....:D

• Like 2

Like the texture with a candy foil. In Holland one buys Toffees (very sticky candy) and that comes with that special wrinkle paper, also very thin like the Kit Kat aluminum foil.

Like Darryl my eyes are in a camera mode when I see your work.

Top!

Robert Jan 

Edited by Robert Jan Scholte v. Mast
spelling
  • Thanks 1