Frog Blackburn Shark

After a short hiatus caused by having too many models on the go at one time (blame the Frog GB)I have now caught up with my backlog. I have also moved into the winter modelling quarters. I how have a self imposed rule of only I GB model at a time.

This

DSC03880

is obviously a refugee from the Frog GB

Thanks to these great builds

I am following two great builds

As to colour schemes well those of you who followed the Frog GB may guess how my Shark is intended to come out by this clue

DSC03881

• Like 7

Thanks for the acknowledgement. Good luck with the build, it really does turn into a lovely model by the end. I have a couple more in my stash and I still want to do the camouflaged version. But after a couple of target tug striped builds in the Trainers GB I'm a little 'striped' out. 

Look forward to following your build. 

• Like 1

As hinted at in my first post my source for the RCAF trainer Shark was

In that thread @PeterB mentioned he had been sent a set of RCAF fonts,. To illustrate the enormity of BM I googled the fonts which led me to 

so thanks @rossm

Another google search for pictures also led me back to  BM

great thread from last year in which @cherisy helpfully gives links back to other Shark builds

sorry about the sprue shot but so many of the parts had become detached I wanted to contain them in a tray.

DSC03882

Off to read some of the threads above to work out the differences between the marks. and what is need to construct the RCAF version.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, pheonix said:

I too am looking forward

So was I until (in the short time to the end of the GB) I have to solve - at least

canopy

engine

cowling

propeller

the colour scheme is now the least of my worries,

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

What are your thoughts on the engine?

I have three drivers for making kits. The first is that if the subject meets my main collecting criteria (as per my interests) accuracy is fairly high on the agenda. A RCAF Shark certainly does not met  that criteria.

The second is to improve my modelling techniques - that is where BM comes in. Even after modelling for nearly 60 years I have learnt so much from BM members. The Shark comes into this category: masking (improving), forming a canopy (first time) and decal printing (first time).

The third is to enjoy the build. This is a nostalgia build taking me back to the 1960's.

As a result accuracy regarding the engine is not essential. It does needs to be an improvement on

DSC03883

At the moment I have only found one front end picture of a Shark on the internet. This does give the same sort of impression as the kit but with a little more depth and you cannot see any cylinders. Therefore my initial thoughts are to just add that impression of depth to the model. As my build will allow for the engine + cowling to be added right at the end I have some more time to research and others to offer suggestions.

• Like 4

Hi Paul

I believe the Canadian Swordfish trainers had a canopy to protect from the cold weather - looks like the Shark may have had the same but I presume it is not supplied in the kit?

Later - just remembered I have Putnam's Blackburn Aircraft book and I see that the full length cockpit seems to have been fitted to the MkIII Shark whether a trainer or not. Also those made by Boeing in Canada were fitted with a Pegasus IX engine apparently, presumably with a modified cowling.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

looks like the Shark may have had the same but I presume it is not supplied in the kit?

Having found an interesting site:

https://modelist-konstruktor.org/aviation/shark-and-not-showing-teeth

this has a plan of the MkI II which seems to show that the forward cockpit was removed and the rear cockpit/gunners position was then given the canopy.Before I start surgery on mine can anyone confirm or rebut this?

As to the site modelist-konstruktor.org it is rather odd and I will start a thread in chat about it.

• Like 1

The Shark had a different canopy than the RCAF Swordfish: 

Swordfish:

49050910433_1faf9f088a_c.jpg

The shark:

49051451886_684cd7c5a9_b.jpg

49050944913_deb1f0e7b8_b.jpg

39559394994_9c8b2b5c5e_b.jpg

Some Tiger-powered Shark front-end pics:

49050878963_5ccfdaaf35_b.jpg

49050881423_9f8d13e94e_b.jpg

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.217092690.5736585

Chris

• Like 2

Depending on which Mark you intend to build, I gather that the MkIII built by Boeing in Canada not only had the Pegasus like some of the UK build may have had, but also had a 3 blade (VP?) prop instead of a 2 blade fixed one..

13 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

From the side, the canopy on the Shark looks very like that of the Harvard, but I think it wider, with a rounder top, and a very different windscreen.  Shame...

That's why we need a brand-new Shark kit and now, before I'm too frikkin' old!

Chris

• Like 2

Just now, PeterB said:

Depending on which Mark you intend to build, I gather that the MkIII built by Boeing in Canada not only had the Pegasus like some of the UK build may have had, but also had a 3 blade (VP?) prop instead of a 2 blade fixed one..

Yes, a Rotol prop. As I was browsing through my Shark book today, I noticed a few pictures of some RCAF Tiger-powered Sharks with the 3-blade props.

49051941996_ac509f5449_b.jpg

49052154672_b5059c6a5b_b.jpg

49052154707_dac4998754_b.jpg

49051942026_9c9d4fe98f_b.jpg

49051942081_2ea31e541d_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 3

Thanks to @dogsbody and @PeterB for their contributions to this build. It might be becoming too much information.

As I do need to proceed I have scaled the plans from 

https://modelist-konstruktor.org/aviation/shark-and-not-showing-teeth

DSC03884

Which shows that the Frog kit is not far off the profile - it does show the cut required for the canonpy.

The diagram also shows

DSC03885

the difference in the cowling shape.

The cowling can be left for a later date - it is time to take saw/knife to the fuselage. This may be the point of no return for this build. 

• Like 2

On 11/10/2019 at 8:08 PM, bigbadbadge said:

What are your thoughts on the engine? Engines and things do an Armstrong Siddeley Tiger engine in 1/72 if that's any help. 

Some Aeroclub 1/72 Armstrong Siddeley Jaguar and Panther engines for sale here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235053795-stash-clearout-172-132-aircraft-kitsresin-decals-172-armour-aeroclub-engines-and-props-added/page/2/

I think in 1/72 they will pass muster for AS Tigers.  Not sure which is the closer likeness: Gunston's British Aero Engines will tell you.

• Like 1

The most obvious TT Shark is No 504

04_fs.jpg

The canopy is not very difficult to do. In mine Shark I did  it glueing I think from 11 pieces, alternate you can do a vacu form.

Please note her 3 blades prop and Tiger engine

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the suggestions about the cowling and engine - the reality is neither the budget for this build or the timescale realy allow these options.

Remaining on the cheap / free options, 

17 hours ago, JWM said:

The canopy is not very difficult to do. I mine Shark I did  it glueing I think from 11 pieces,

Also in the thread J-W suggested the use of packaging for building the canopy, so

DSC03886

A few minutes work and..

DSC03887

The curve of the packaging seems to work - it's not perfect but with some framing (Tamiya masking tape?) I think it will meet my needs - all I need to worry bout now is the windscreen.

• Like 8

On 11/13/2019 at 10:59 AM, Paul821 said:

Also in the thread J-W suggested the use of packaging for building the canopy, so

Indeed,  use of "ready made"clear parts is very conviniet , I keep some packeges which looks like potentially suitable for different canopies in my spare part box... Good choice! But I will go maybe rather for AAA battery size.  Some interesting package are from drills, since they are in different sizes

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 2