Airfix Daleks in Manhattan

Marklo

49038503323_442a657bca_z.jpg

I started this around 10 years ago (David Tennant was still Dr Who at the time) and got partway through the first Dalek, then got stuck on the paintwork, handpainting of the black just wasn't working, so it went back into its box and sat there.

Subsequently I returned to scale modelling and I've taken to using an airbrush sooo time to tackle that Kit, with the Kits GB providing that extra push to get me moving. This will also be my first Britmodeller GB.

49039190452_ab8625d4a6_z.jpg

First order of business, using a rattle can paint the sub assemblies for Dalek Caan ready for masking and airbrushing the black detail around each dome.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 7

I'm more a Tom Baker Fan, but I did like Matt Smith.Capaldi was ok, But I just couldn't watch Colin baker or Sylvester McCoy, still a fan but have sort of fallen out of watching it lately. Christmas special might be a good place to restart.

The bronze is a gold rattle can from my local art shop, the result is a bit too shiny but I'm liking it, handling and possibly some varnish will dull it down if needed. I'll post the brand tomorrow.

Edited by Marklo

I wouldn't bother with Whitaker's doctor who, and I think there's no special this year. 

I found capaldi very good personally although the plots were a bit weak. 

With regards to the bronze have you seen Citadel Balthazar Gold, I think that could be a good match and it comes in airbrush and regular varieties.

49055660513_28788a0660_z.jpg

Black sprayed and unmasked not perfect and will need a little retouching with a brush but head and shoulders above my previous attempts to brush paint Caan, next I need to cut out and spray the domes, then assemble Caan and then its on to Sek and the base, real progress at last :)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

49106778981_015325d731_z.jpg

Domes attached, ppp used to fill the gaps in the skirts, going to need a bit of touching up.

I appear to be four domes short... So my cunning plan is to use sculpy to make a mold and then (probably) miliput to make some new domes.

• Like 3

49112548192_4853141fc2_z.jpg

Sculpy and Milliput worked a charm

49116224626_2177b93ab2_z.jpg

Painted and fitted. Needs a little retouching on the black and some filling on the body joint, but not looking too bad. It's definitely a rose gold not a bronze. Maybe Apple makes Daleks in my Universe :) Oh and I know the skirt should be gold (bronze) but to me a Dalek just looks wrong  with the skirt in any colour but black.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody who loves Dr Who cannot be bad!!!

Even I have been hooked for years, and I not genetically engineered to like British series! And I still believe David Tennant has been the best Doctor to date! 

Your Dalek looks the part and does justice to this mild minded race. 

Congrats! And don't blink...

JR

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

49433322262_30bd129e23_z.jpg

Sec gets a bit more work. Sub assemblies completed, hemispheres on (although I'm short two, but I have a leftover one from Caan and one of the black ones may be capable of being retrieved from the carpet monster, if all else fails I still have my Sculpey mold)  and started painting the interior. Can't find the instructions, so winging it a bit.

• Like 2

49448660937_9f2c68c2c6_z.jpg

Dalek Sec almost done, although I appear to be missing some tentacles perhaps @Martian Hale could help, otherwise it's out with the milliput.

49448430661_c26e118119_z.jpg

The base pretty much finished off. Added in the domes and plasma effect pieces as well as the dial faces and on of the bulkhead lights. I seem to be missing the base of the second bulkhead light, may or may not turn up, nevermind, no one will ever know.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

Looking good - I didn't realise these kits were so involved.

Do they do a Cyberman?

Probably, they did a David Tennant figure with a Tardis. Actually the kits have come in for criticism as being too complex for kids but not quite up to serious scale modeler level. I'd disagree the kit is plenty tricky and builds up into a pretty good looking model.  Also in their day they were a bit expensive, (I got mine for €20 in TK max)

Edited by Marklo

1 hour ago, Jinxman said:

Looking good - I didn't realise these kits were so involved.

Do they do a Cyberman?

Airfix? No, just the two kits @Marklo mentions.  

And, as mentioned, they are not that simple.  

There are lots of action figures,  in various sizes (my daughter was a big fan of the new Who, and chain watched it on Netflix) 

There were these made, I think attached to a magazine

49188835336_f38a37ce99_b.jpgIMG_0585 by losethekibble, on Flickr

49188332548_8f1382452f_b.jpgIMG_0586 by losethekibble, on Flickr

About 1/32nd, and not bad considering they are snap together, which works in the Cybermans favour ;) 

I found a couple of these in charity shops,  though should be findable on ebay

If you are not a fan of the new who,  the green is a Lady Vastra, the Silurian, Blue is the new style Sontaran and grey is a Weeping Angel. 

The Cyberman is the best of the 4, followed by the Sontaran,  all have really well sculpted faces though. 

Pity there were not more, as they are a good basic idea, albeit a bit clumsy due to the snap fit/toy nature of them.

Hope not too much of a thread drift @Marklo

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marklo said:

Dalek Sec almost done, although I appear to be missing some tentacles perhaps @Martian Hale could help, otherwise it's out with the milliput.

A Martian's tentacles are his own private kingdom and I shall defend mine with your life!

Indignant of Mars 👽

• Haha 1

49453279638_9fcc800e51_z.jpg

Ah well at least I asked. Milliput it is then. Sec gets some new tentacles Fairly pleased with my efforts just need to match the colours a bit better and we're there. Funny must be metamerism in action, the two look much closer IRL)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

49458449416_3244c93e90_z.jpg

Sec gets his tentacles, toned down with a Desert yellow wash.

49458682962_c4fa3e0f7f_z.jpg

49458448946_01093a9dc7_z.jpg

49457975563_0fb968e754_z.jpg

And we're done, after about 10 years (David Tennant was still the Doctor when I started this). Not a bad looking result. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3