Best 1/48 Skyhawk kit/boxing for RNZAF “Kahu”

cmatthewbacon

Since I’ve rediscovered my Gekko Graphics decal sheet (bought for a whif Hawk 200) and I’m enjoying “Scooter”, a Crecy reprint of the Specialty Press book, I’ve got to thinking what do I need to build a Kiwi Skyhawk? I’m thinking probably a Hasegawa kit, but which ones have the right plastic in for an A-4K?

Any advice much appreciated...

best,

M.

6 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Any advice much appreciated...

there is a very useful table of what is in what boxing here

https://modelingmadness.com/splfeat/kr/has48e.htm

Looks like any A-4E/F boxing has the right basic bits, the dedicated kit has some white metal, but that's on a brief eyeball of the chart. 

Blinkin' Hasegawa and their limited editions grrrrr

At least the base kits with the right bits seem reasonably common, 

07221, 09399, 09486, 09522, 09535, 09801, 09824, 09926, and PM 5976 are identical A/4E/F kits.  In addition to parts for A-4E/F with or without avionics hump, also include other parts to do A-4E or F in almost any configuration except A-4F ‘Super Fox’, also can build RAN A-4G, early Israeli A-4H or early RNZAF A-4K.  09441 A-4K is the basic A-4E/F which includes 5 required metal antennae

Note the ProModeller boxing as well

Others will undoubtedly know more,  @NAVY870  is probably the chap for chapter and verse as he worked on Australian ones.

HTH

• Thanks 1

I know you stated Hasegawa but Hobby Boss do a passable A-4E in 1/48 which can be made with or without the hump. The leading edge slats are moulded shut but the kit does come with a good supply of weapons. Might be an option for you?

Duncan B

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hasegawa A-4E/F is the base kit you'll need

To build an accurate Kahu you'll have to scratchbuild a new instrument panel and higher glareshield.

You'll also have to add the various lumps and bumps fitted as part of the mod and slime lights.

Best place for reference:

http://motty.hobbyvista.com/A-4s-01/Kiwi-Skyhawks-01.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Indeed it does, but it seems extremely rare and very expensive when you find a trace of one!

beat,

M.

I had one and built it as a standard “E”. I still have the white metal pieces that came with it somewhere ? If I find them and instructions i’ll let you know ? Would a P/M do or here ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

There's a 'K for sale on a certain auction site at the moment for about $100 (US) if you really, really want one!

I think I read somewhere that Phase Hangar is planning some bits for a Kahu.

Really wish the Hasegawa A-4E/F was easier to find. I'm on the lookout for them but I'm not willing to contemplate some of the prices I'm seeing. Would look at the Hobby Boss kit but the closed slats are putting me off.

• Like 1

Here is what i have. 

yk4NTfC.jpg

eoimkz5.jpg

Thats all the parts that were needed for the “K” as they weren't needed for the E i built ? The little plastic baggie contains the white metal bits needed. Then there is some pieces on the sprue’s like the hump and different burner can possibly intakes ? Sadly the decals went to Canada two years ago so i cant help you there. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hasegawa's A-4K does some of the outside bits but none of the cockpit upgrades

All you can build from that boxing is an early K.

Or if, like me you enjoy a bit of irony you can build it as an A-4G.

• Like 1