Can anyone ID this Hurricane?

WhitleyZ6743

the Langley (Hawker factory) defence flight Mk.IIA ...

I'll add more if I can find the book...

Edit PS

photo in The Hawker Hurricane , Francis k mason, 1962 edition, just says Langley Defence Flight. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

I'll add more if I can find the book...

Edit PS

photo in The Hawker Hurricane , Francis k mason, 1962 edition, just says Langley Defence Flight. 

Thank you Troy

11 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

As I already mentioned in the "All the Hurricane questions..." post, there is a thread here. The Hurricane was G-AFKX.

I'd suggest this picture still shows it as a Mk. I. Notice the two rearmost fasteners on the lower rear engine compartment panel are aligned with those on the top panel. This changed on the longer Mk. II panels.

What is different, is that here G-AFKH has the pointed Rotol spinner instead of the rounded, slightly wider one it had when photographed in silver finish.

Claudio

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ClaudioN said:

As I already mentioned in the "All the Hurricane questions..." post, there is a thread here. The Hurricane was G-AFKX.

I'd suggest this picture still shows it as a Mk. I. Notice the two rearmost fasteners on the lower rear engine compartment panel are aligned with those on the top panel. This changed on the longer Mk. II panels.

What is different, is that here G-AFKH has the pointed Rotol spinner instead of the rounded, slightly wider one it had when photographed in silver finish.

Claudio

Brilliant. Thank you.

I just knew the photo from the Mason Hurricane book,  I can be a bit blind to the photos in that as I have had it since I was eight!

The book captions it as being a Mki.IIa Series 2 though, now you mention the cowling fasteners, it's obvious!

cheers

T

• Like 1

What I found interesting in the Key Forum thread was these images

Top image shows a A type fin flash

Langley%20Defence%20Hurricane.jpg

while this shows a C type, 

note, just visible

There is a picture taken 'in the second half of 1943' of it in Day Fighter camouflage, but with G-AFKX marked where the serial would be on a service aircraft. It was published in Gordon Swanborough's 'British Aircraft at War 1939-1945' (The book version of the Air Pictorial series) Quite a fuzzy pic, so you can't really tell what wing it has, but if pushed I'd say metal, as the landing light looks a little further outboard

the top image confirms the standard metal wing. The reaper image still seems to be present.Hurriciviljpg.jpg

New fragments of Hurricane info are always a treat.