SOC-3 Seagull off of the USS Phoenix...

Here's a fun one...and aren't they all fun?  I'll build the one OOB since the kit is so crisply moulded in fine plastic.  Other than rigging, I don't foresee any extras.  The decals look firmly in register as well.  Another yellow-winged devil for the Late-30s shelf.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'll start in on some of it tonight and go as far as I can tomorrow.  I am off island for work from Monday until Thursday so both this and the helicopter will wait for me.

--John

• Like 10

Les Dorr Jr. has a good build review of this kit here...

https://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/us/dorrsoc.htm

I think I will follow his lead with the cockpit.  This is where it stands now.  This is not a complicated kit by any means.  The cockpit could use a little simple juking-up...

spacer.png

I assembled the floats...busy work really.

spacer.png

Ejector pin marks.  Yuck.  Break out the sanding stick.  Plus, the EZ-strut set-up that I might alter, a la Lee Dorr, Jr...

spacer.png

--John

• Like 9

John, if I may suggest something.  I build this kit last winter. The Hasegawa kit has simplified details on top of float. This is not one flat walking area but some corrugated (?) or few parallel elements, like here:

scan0004.jpg

In net there is a nice photo of inside, maybe you know it. Frankly speaking in mine SOC3 I even did not tried to build all those details you can see here. I added only few elements to make inside not so empty.

scan0003.jpg

I hope you'll find it helpfull

Regards

J-W

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This looks an interesting machine John, will watch with interest. @JWM Suggestion is a good one, I did the same on a recent build of the Frog Blackburn Shark as the cockpit was empty apart from the two seats, it was really worth the effort as it made such a difference. 

Good luck with your build.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

Hi again, John!

Great to see your second entry to this GB! I have this kit in the stash, so I'll follow your build with interest. Being incapable of doing a simple build, I also bought the resin cockpit available from Starfighter Decals: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/starfighter-decals-7215-soc-1-2-3-cockpit-set--957881

Good luck!

Jaime

• Like 1

Thanks John and thanks all for being patent.  Back at the bench...

Did a little work on the cockpit.  Control stick, elevator pedals (Evergreen), wireless antennae from brass wire.  I'll add some harnesses from tape and get the fuselage sealed up tonight.

spacer.png

--John

• Like 10

Looking good Peter. Having one of these in stock it is nice to see one coming together. You don't appear to be having to do much adjusting along the way, which I guess is what one expects from a Hasegawa kit, even oldish ones.

Steve.