Sm79 1/72 Airfix 1967

Hi Guys,

Recently I got this kit from a yard sales and it seem like it is with him for almost 20 years and when I opened the decals is all messed up, I tried putting in the sun for a few days with a coat of future but no joy :( anyway. The kit was very basic and fairly simple to build, but there are catches tho the wing root need some filling and sanding also amount of plastic flash were just too much and also it wasn't yr typical thin flash but a rather thick one. The cockpit didn't sit very well and it was bit daunting and I have to apply some putty to give uniformity and even surface.
This was also my first attempt on major mottled camo it was fun doing tho I used Tamiya paints for it.
Decals, i didn't use all as some were really bad also the detail on it was mediocre and some crumbled away some too yellow after keeping outside for many days, if any of you have spare decals please do let me know. I would really happy to pay or trade.
Now here is the picture, hope it is looking good, any feedback welcome, cheers

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

• Like 55

Fantastic. The camo is really well done.

I'm looking to do one of these soon, as it's one kit I never did as a lad. Hope it turns out as good as yours.

• Thanks 1

Great work on a veteran from Airfix. I built one of these many years ago. My father wasn't very impressed at the time. He'd served in the Mediterranean on HMS Valiant during the war and had been on the receiving end of very much unwelcome attention from these aircraft!

All said, I thin you've done a great job on this old warbird. I must admit to being tempted to look for one myself as I've always had a soft spot for this tri-motor, even though they tried to sink my dad!

Many thanks for sharing.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A job well done.

Although the kit is old and has some minor shape problems, I prefer it to the modern Italeri kit as it doesn't have the pronounced fabric sag of that kit, which is very unrealistic for an aircraft not in flight.

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2019 at 8:00 PM, Farmerboy said:

Your paint job is excellent, nice to see an old Airfix kit so well built, they used to produce such an unusual range of kits back in the day!

Yeah, honestly I do like their old kits than some of the new one, New one I really hate their panel lines it is just too deep and make it look like diecast. Thank you

On 11/9/2019 at 9:38 PM, billn53 said:

Excellent job on the mottling. 

Thanks, Buddy

On 11/9/2019 at 9:50 PM, Greg Law said:

Very well done. It shows what you can do with even a bad kit if you stick with it.

When I got the kit I was bit apprehensive like what am gonna do with it, however with little love and dedications you can make a nice model out of it. Thanks once again.

On 11/9/2019 at 10:40 PM, Learstang said:

Excellent job on this model, especially the camouflage!

Regards,

Jason

Thank you, Jason really appreciate it. Cheers

On 11/10/2019 at 2:27 AM, Vinnie said:

Great finish on a not often seen model.👍

Thanks, Buddy Italian do have some nice looking aircraft just their paint are hard to paint

On 11/10/2019 at 3:57 AM, IanC said:

Fantastic. The camo is really well done.

I'm looking to do one of these soon, as it's one kit I never did as a lad. Hope it turns out as good as yours.

Thanks, Buddy Looking forward to seeing your soon, cheers

15 hours ago, AntoineG said:

Excellent job. One couldn't tell it's a 60+ year old kit.  And your paint job in fantastic. 

Congrat's

Thank you Antoine, really appreciate the kind words, cheers mate

14 hours ago, Bangor Lad said:

Great work on a veteran from Airfix. I built one of these many years ago. My father wasn't very impressed at the time. He'd served in the Mediterranean on HMS Valiant during the war and had been on the receiving end of very much unwelcome attention from these aircraft!

All said, I thin you've done a great job on this old warbird. I must admit to being tempted to look for one myself as I've always had a soft spot for this tri-motor, even though they tried to sink my dad!

Many thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Thank you, Bangor for sharing your dad story and on this armistice day want to say a BIG THANK YOU for his service. Really appreciate the kind words, cheers.

6 hours ago, 3DStewart said:

A job well done.

Although the kit is old and has some minor shape problems, I prefer it to the modern Italeri kit as it doesn't have the pronounced fabric sag of that kit, which is very unrealistic for an aircraft not in flight.

I didn't know that and learned something new today, thanks, mate cheer

9 hours ago, opus999 said:

Wow!!! That's beautiful!  You should be proud of that mottling... it is unbelievable looking.

Opus, really appreciate it mate and yeah, know am feeling quite happy with what I have done with the kit, cheers

• Like 1

An extremely good job!

Despite its age, you really knocked the kit into a very fine-looking replica.

The mottled camouflage has come up particularly well.

Proof again that old kits don't always have to be discarded when new ones arrive on the market.

:goodjob:👍

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2019 at 8:18 AM, kapam said:

An extremely good job!

Despite its age, you really knocked the kit into a very fine-looking replica.

The mottled camouflage has come up particularly well.

Proof again that old kits don't always have to be discarded when new ones arrive on the market.

:goodjob:👍

Thank you Kapam, Really appreciate the kind word. Yeah with little love and dedications you can make a decent kit out of it. I love the varieties of aircraft Airfix used to make in the 50s-70s Hope they will bring out more interesting subjects soon.

On 11/11/2019 at 7:15 PM, J Sherratt said:

Looks really good - excellent paint job. John

Thanks, John, cheers

Nice build and paint job.

Replacement decals may be in the same poor condition as the original ones. I probably have some surplus Airfix ones in my collection. There are nice aftermarket decals available.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBAU753AU753&q=sm79+1/72+decals&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjG6dCrjfPlAhW76nMBHT_vCo4QsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1536&bih=722