Hairy stick build, just to prove I can still do it. Airfix Vampire 1/72

So here's a build I have not gotten around to putting up yet. This was started in September as I needed something to do as an extra curricular activity at college (can't I just not?) and there was an art option, models are art, therefore models it was. My Bf109 and Fw190 that were part of this have already been posted on here, and my Meteor got some decals. This build was the first one and I built it with the intention to brush paint the whole thing (apart from primer)

0c24c4a3f773e4009b1570e32e71695f.jpg

Started off with the intakes, didn't bother with any effort in these, they won't be seen. 

e8cbaee89d02f9d6d8f0f27cfbdc1db4.jpg

Back home to prime it and get the cockpit finished. Only a very basic black, I'm not sure that's right but it's what the instructions say and I'm not entering any competitions with this model so it will have to do.

cde7c531e42bc32009818fb0a805aad1.jpg

Nose weight came in the form of chopped up solder. Great stuff for nose weight.

The model with be finished in silver and orange. I am sooo looking forward to those decals.....

Not

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Dr. Quack said:

As I recall from my yoof, silver and orange are tricky finishes with the ol` hairy stick.....fingers crossed.

Rootin`-for-ya Quack

Orange is all decals thankfully

05829616aa2d662867ce9c9158e4f553.jpg

First layer of Revell Aluminium is on. I'll need another layer yet. It's not even close to what I could do with the airbrush but that's not the point of this build. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Orange is all decals thankfully.

Thankfully? By all accounts they're a bear to use. Have a look for some prior builds on here to get an idea of how to deal with them.

Still, it's a sweet little kit, and even I managed a reasonable result on mine!

If I remember correctly from 20-odd years back, that Revell was clunky as all **** when not thinned down further.

Some light, fine sanding and a coat of Humbrol Metal Cote Aluminium (the polishable one) did wonders.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/11/2019 at 15:40, Rob G said:

Thankfully? By all accounts they're a bear to use. Have a look for some prior builds on here to get an idea of how to deal with them.

You were right...... Very very right...

1682d4d0942ec70637705da748564ee9.jpg

This was going to be fun.....

9426d85ecb731753719ea265db263a8f.jpg

Decals look ok on the top of the wings

ba669d378c4d05642208f0ef1605ac38.jpg

Looks ok..... But.....

f23d13ad8461d034125a49e95b9b37be.jpg

.... They shattered on the decal paper and yeah that wasn't fun.....

I think the preemptive beer was useful.

At least this is a success by the fact that the decals are applied to the wings and not the inside of a bin.

• Sad 2

e8b37bdf6145be6d4fd2cbae03436581.jpg

Next decal then! The previous one of all smoothed out now with plenty of decal solution.

6f016a67ce7e48faba8912b8c5fbcbc1.jpg

The decal itself went on far more nicely than the other. I have absolutely fallen in love with this scheme now, I would quite like a Jet Provost in the same colours....

However, as I was about to apply the decal by open bottle of Decalfix (yes I use that stuff, I dilute it a bit and it works well enough) decided the wall and floor would be a great place to be today, and so there it went. All over my wall and floor. Thankfully I had the foresight to have a vinyl floor in my modelling area rather than carpet. This also went over some model instructions that are under my desk, thankfully only Airfix Spitfire ones and I could practically build one in my sleep at this point.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2019 at 10:14 PM, Adam Poultney said:

You were right...... Very very right...

My apologies for that, sorry old chap. Still, you've done a fine job thus far, keep on going. If I do that scheme for mine, I'll consider masking and painting. Or, I'll give myself an uppercut then choose summat else. It's certainly striking though!

AHUK-XK624-1-L.png

https://aviationheritageuk.org/selected-aircraft/513/

I found this photo of the aircraft sitting in a field looking rather beaten up. I think this is the condition I will try to have the model in when it's finished. Here she lacks the medium sea grey on the nose. I will leave that off my model.

XK624 is still around today, although she has been repainted.

A few more I found

https://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/De-Havilland-DH-115-Vampire-T11/876102 (use link)

1017559-medium.jpg

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/registration/XK624

Old B&W photo, the nose is medium sea grey here so it was painted that way at some point.

xk624.jpg?d=211019233633

http://www.eurodemobbed.org.uk/locations.php?location=1483

How she is today

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

a :( for your mishap with the decal fix.  Vamp looking good.

Steve.

Thanks. Thankfully the decal has ended up looking ok now

6 hours ago, Rob G said:

My apologies for that, sorry old chap. Still, you've done a fine job thus far, keep on going. If I do that scheme for mine, I'll consider masking and painting. Or, I'll give myself an uppercut then choose summat else. It's certainly striking though!

I imagine painting this would be a nightmare as there are numerous gaps in the orange decal, it's not just solid orange. 

12 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

The decal itself went on far more nicely than the other. I have absolutely fallen in love with this scheme now, I would quite like a Jet Provost in the same colours....

Bought the Airfix JP last week on impulse, as I really like the day glo schemes and will do my next Vampire in one too - probably the previous release with WZ507 on the box, as that can be built into the Duxford example. I’m hoping the HP decals don’t give me too much grief...

Your Vampire is coming on nicely!

4 minutes ago, alhenderson said:

Decals for the orange??  That's cheating! 😀 You dodged a bullet there, cos painting that flourescent orange is a sure way to insanity...

And I wasn't already insane from my Vulcan B1a conversion?

2 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Should be able to find it through my profile if you want to have a look :)

Fair dues - painting a little bit of flourescent orange is nothing compared to that lot!  Any build that starts by masking the bits of wing you're going to reshape deserves respect 😲

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alhenderson said:

Fair dues - painting a little bit of flourescent orange is nothing compared to that lot!  Any build that starts by masking the bits of wing you're going to reshape deserves respect 😲

Haha thanks, I actually found reshaping to be not all that bad. It was rescribing the control surfaces that was the worst part. 

Should be finishing that soon! Just waiting on decals.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Who knew that all these decals were so tedious... I've been slowly putting them on and adding chipping wherever the decals decide to break and crumble... I'm getting there with this, very s l o w l y, next update due on a few months

66494902694713812ca847bc49be644a.jpg

You could always put it in the window sill for a bit, chances are it'll fade just like the outside parked one for added realism :coolio:

:coat:

(oof, dayglo orange paint, that brings back memories - matchbox G-91 for one...)

• Like 1