Malroy

Hi,

Can you help me? I’m not very good with my IPad but is it possible to upload photos from Google photos onto the Britmodeller site.

Hi Malroy,

You've reopened a can or worms!

You can't upload photos to the Britmodeller site- you have to provide a link to the site where the photo is held. In practice, that means that when you see a photo in a thread, that photo is actually coming from the original hosting site, not Britmodeller.

You can post the url of the image as hosted on Google Photos but there are two big disadvantages:

1. The image will be at the same size as it is hosted on Google Photos - so to fit in with site guidelines you need to make sure that your photos are saved at about 1200 pixels wide. If they are any larger it can make threads very slow to open
  2. The url for a given image on Google Photos is not static - it will change from time to time, which means that the link you initially used will no longer point to the image.

The solution is to store your photos on a site that's designed for the purpose - there are many available. Some of them will automatically resize your images to suit individual forum needs.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your advice regarding posting photos on the Britmodeller site.

What site would you recommend for storage of photos ?

Hi Malroy,

I'm reluctant to recommend any particular site as everyone has different needs...

However, Smugmug  and Imgur seem to be pretty well regarded.. 

There's a comparison of the most popular sites here

Click on the links above (shown as underlined words) and you'll be taken straight to the relevant site 🙂

Good luck!

Brian

I'm intending to post a comparison of the main hotlinking photo host in the next couple of days. But if you need something before that, Brian's list is a starting point. The list he's shown is a little out of date as 'Tiny Pic' has closed now and some of those on the list aren't suitable as they won't allow hotlinking (direct linking). 

I would advise you to avoid Photobucket.

If you're not sure what hotlinking is, this is an explanation: https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotlinking

When I post the photo host info I'll try to remember to put a link here for you.

• Like 2