V Force Group Build - 36 members so far, any more?

Adam Poultney

++ Sorted now and the answer is High Speed Silver ++

Hi guys. I'm just finishing Valiant WZ 366 as she was when she dropped Britain's first operational atomic bomb on 11th October 1956.

Unfortunately, I've just realised that I don't know what colour she was on that day!

I'm assuming white, but there are some indications that she may still have been silver.

Can anyone help me with this please?

Many thanks

Cliff

4 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

I thought it was 818 that dropped our first bomb?

818 dropped our first H bomb (1957).  366 dropped our first A bomb (1956) - and I now know that it was painted High Speed Silver at the time ;).

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/12/2019 at 13:22, Back in the Saddle said:

I’ve pre-ordered the new Airfix Vulcan which due out in autumn 2020, so if this build goes ahead (at the right time!) I shall build that, probably in a wraparound scheme. Otherwise the Valiant or Victor are my back up models for this build!

Very nice, I'm going to wait at least until we know what schemes are in the kit before I preorder, and then I might preorder via Hannants for that nice 10% off on preorders. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rafalbert said:

Put me down for this one, I have quite a few of all three in both 1/72 and 1/144 so no idea which one I would do yet!

Dave

Welcome aboard, which kits have you got? 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Welcome aboard, which kits have you got? 

Valiant:

Mikromir 1/144

Welsh Models 1/144

Airfix 1/72

Victor:

Anigrand 1/144

Airfix 1/72

Matchbox 1/72 (with the Flightpath intakes etc.)

Vulcan:

Airfix 1/72

Considering the Vulcan is my favourite aeroplane I have woefully few kits of it. I will no doubt buy the new Airfix one but I need to get hold of a 1/144 kit too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rafalbert said:

Valiant:

Mikromir 1/144

Welsh Models 1/144

Airfix 1/72

Victor:

Anigrand 1/144

Airfix 1/72

Matchbox 1/72 (with the Flightpath intakes etc.)

Vulcan:

Airfix 1/72

Considering the Vulcan is my favourite aeroplane I have woefully few kits of it. I will no doubt buy the new Airfix one but I need to get hold of a 1/144 kit too.

I'd like to see the Mikromir Valiant kit built. But many builds on here. Although it is quite inaccurate... Have you considered getting Mikromir's Victor B.1 at all?

For the Vulcan, also my favourite aircraft, I would recommend GWH/Pit Road's kit if you want one of the first 12 B.2s built, its intakes are close to the B.1 intakes and too narrow for a regular B.2. The Trumpeter kit should be better in the intakes hopefully when that releases (soon!)

I don't know much about V bombers, however I'm sure that I will learn quite a bit if I join this GB; plus it will give me a reason to build one from the stash.  My contribution will be to 1:144 scale.

Mike

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ajmm said:

The 144th resin kit. I’ll need to smash mould a canopy. There’s also an Anigrand one which I’ve built but it’s less refined. 

Right, have fun!

1 minute ago, bootneck said:

I don't know much about V bombers, however I'm sure that I will learn quite a bit if I join this GB; plus it will give me a reason to build the one from the stash.  My contribution will be to 1:144 scale.

Mike

Welcome aboard, plenty of knowledgeable people here. Any questions, just ask, I'm sure someone will know the answer to pretty much all questions you can reasonably come up with. 

• 3 weeks later...

Count me in on this too. I've not completed a Group Build yet so I hope this one will be successful.

Not sure what I'll build yet. At the time of writing I have a couple of Airfix Victors in the stash along with a recently-acquired Valiant. I have a couple of new-tool Vulcans on pre order too. Is it ok to make the decision nearer the date?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Timmas said:

Count me in on this too. I've not completed a Group Build yet so I hope this one will be successful.

Not sure what I'll build yet. At the time of writing I have a couple of Airfix Victors in the stash along with a recently-acquired Valiant. I have a couple of new-tool Vulcans on pre order too. Is it ok to make the decision nearer the date?

Welcome aboard. Do what you want as long as it's V Force, you can decide whenever you want. I'm probably going to change my mind on what to build half a dozen times until this happens.

I've got one of each of the V-bombers in stock in 1/144, so I should give this a go, probably the Valiant that scared the living wits out of me as a 3 year old, flown by one Wing Commander Trent VC, an old boy of the college I went to & who was paying it a close visit. Our place was very near to the flight line. The roar of those  4 engines as he pulled the stick back & climbed out over the college was more than a wee lad could stand.

Steve.

• Like 2

On 12/01/2020 at 01:34, stevehnz said:

I've got one of each of the V-bombers in stock in 1/144, so I should give this a go, probably the Valiant that scared the living wits out of me as a 3 year old, flown by one Wing Commander Trent VC, an old boy of the college I went to & who was paying it a close visit. Our place was very near to the flight line. The roar of those  4 engines as he pulled the stick back & climbed out over the college was more than a wee lad could stand.

Steve.

Added

• Like 1