Convair R3Y-1 Tradewind

Here's my Anigrand 1/144 Convair R3Y-1 Tradewind, just finished in the Flying Boats and Floatplanes II group build. My first resin kit and I enjoyed it - won't be my last. Build thread is here.

Convair Tradewind

Convair Tradewind

Convair Tradewind

Convair Tradewind

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 43

That looks really good, Julian, certainly an impressive addition to any display of flying boats. Love it !!

Wonder if any of the family has looked at my Christmas wants-list yet.......... 

• Thanks 1

Julian,

One of the ugliest flying boats ever built, and denied a decent service length by horrible powerplant issues; always looked to me like it was designed by a committee, but you have done a really good job on this model. Your WIP was very interesting- looks like the model wasn't nearly as heavy as I would have imagined. I remember building the old Revell 1/166 box scale kit when I was a young lad- see the link- sure didn't pay that much for it, that's for sure. Even in that scale, it was a pretty good-sized model! (Ah, the heady aroma of Revell 'S' cement and Testors enamels!)  Nice model! 👍

Mike

https://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?detail=44808&manu=Revell&searchtext=Tradewind&erl=Revell-1-168-Convair-R3Y-2-Tradewind-S-Issue-H238-98

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Alan P said:

What a brilliant finish! Not the most attractive airframe but an interesting choice and looked like a good build as far as Anigrand goes.

Thanks Alan. I really like this kit - might be my favourite build of this year.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 11/8/2019 at 11:27 AM, noelh said:

I liked your post because I liked your build, US Navy aircraft of the era and flying boats. 

But it is an ugly beast. 

Oddly enough, I've tended to consider the Tradewind to be a fine-looking aeroplane - aft of the propeller warning line.  The nose was where Aughrim was lost!