High Wing GB Chat ++ WE NOW HAVE GALLERY POLL WINNERS++

CliffB

I won't be wading into this GB until early September, until a couple of other GBs have finished. My current plans are to build two, hopefully three kits. Currently on the short list are:

• IBG Models RWD-8 PWS (I also have a much older PZW kit of this aircraft)
  • Revell Dornier 228
  • KP Piper L-4H Cub ("Grasshopper")

However, I also have many other candidates, although for some reason, I'm drawn towards piston- and turobprop-powered aircraft.

1115230-21164-67-720.jpg

154727-11185-64-pristine.jpg

979969-13641-74-pristine.jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, klr said:

I won't be wading into this GB until early September, until a couple of other GBs have finished. My current plans are to build two, hopefully three kits. Currently on the short list are:

• IBG Models RWD-8 PWS (I also have a much older PZW kit of this aircraft)
  • Revell Dornier 228
  • KP Piper L-4H Cub ("Grasshopper")

All are excellent choices and you're right, the high wing/prop combo is particularly appealing :winkgrin:

Cheers

Hmmm... I found yet another subject in the stash that may qualify: the RA-5C Vigilante. To me this looks like a good example of a high wing aircraft (or maybe I should say shoulder mounted wing... proper high wing is when the wing spar goes over the fuselage, like in the C-130.. but then shoulden mounted wings are considered a variant of high wings anyway). What's the moderator view on this one ? If it's eligible, I'll post pictures since I could not resist and made a start...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Hmmm... I found yet another subject in the stash that may qualify: the RA-5C Vigilante.

No problem with that one Giorgio :thumbsup2:.  

Cheers

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Hmmm... I found yet another subject in the stash that may qualify: the RA-5C Vigilante. To me this looks like a good example of a high wing aircraft (or maybe I should say shoulder mounted wing... proper high wing is when the wing spar goes over the fuselage, like in the C-130.. but then shoulden mounted wings are considered a variant of high wings anyway). What's the moderator view on this one ? If it's eligible, I'll post pictures since I could not resist and made a start...

Look forward to seeing this one @Giorgio N.  That thing was a beast of an aircraft.....and to think it operated from smaller carriers than then USN currently has operating.  :blink2:

I'm still occasionally picking away on the 1/48th kit I started years ago.  It's definitely a sloth build.  Hopefully I'll finish it in the next decade.....

6 hours ago, helios16v said:

Look forward to seeing this one @Giorgio N.  That thing was a beast of an aircraft.....and to think it operated from smaller carriers than then USN currently has operating.  :blink2:

I'm still occasionally picking away on the 1/48th kit I started years ago.  It's definitely a sloth build.  Hopefully I'll finish it in the next decade.....

How's the, to scale flight deck to display it on coming along ?

Fortunately it will double up as the dining room table, Mrs Helios will be absolutely delighted, but likely too embarrassed to show it :whistle:

• Haha 1

Aaaaargh...... There's NO WAY OUTTA HERE!! 

This Group Build area really is Hotel California, isn't it.... ⁉️🧚🧚‍♂️🧚‍♀️

Having just managed to get a nice little high winged Lockheed Vega finished and over the line in the Unarmed Group, now this one is swinging into action. 

I've a couple of options that fit the bill so I could well be taking part with a Matchbox Norseman or a Twin Otter. 

All sorts of unfinished modelling business around me that needs attention right now but I think I'll be playing along soonish..... 

High wing, you say... 

I don't suppose a Chaparral 2F would be eligible, would it?? 

Just kidding, my only 2F is a vacform bodyshell from an old 1.24 slot car Racer 😇

• Haha 2

On 8/7/2021 at 4:44 PM, Heather Kay said:

I had missed that. Thanks Graham! I guess I should seek a decent drawing or two, as well.

I made one out of a pad of Milliput. It's quite a simple shape. I think I've a Roden Sea Gladiator in the stash with one on the sprue, give me a day or two (I've got a busy day at work tomorrow) and I'll take some pictures. 

It was left off some land based aircraft but I think those at RNAS Hatson during the Battle of Britain did have them. I can check as I've a book with some good pictures. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thepureness said:

Would you class these aircraft as eligible? 

B-26 Marauder

Hawker Hunter

Frogfoot? 

My benchmark is what it looks like when viewed head-on from the front (very scientific, as you can see :winkgrin:).

So on that basis, the B-26 is definitely 'yes' and Hunter is definitely 'no'.

The Frogfoot's less clear cut, but on balance I'm saying 'yes' to that too.

Thanks for asking :)

My original proposal was to do a resin Blackburn B20. However, I have just done a large job with the Airfix SRN4 and have a small (1/144) vacform to do for the "French Fancy" GB. So now, keeping to the interwar airliner theme I propose doing an Avro 618 'Ten'. The kit is from AZ Model 1/144 and injection and really is quite nubby ! The images below show that this aircraft was definitely 'High Wing'

618-8

618-7

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

I propose doing an Avro 618 'Ten'.

A great choice Adrian, which will go particularly nicely with @Dean Whiston's single-engined F.VII entry :)

As an aside, the Australian aircraft in your photos seems to have had an impressive oil leak from it's front engine.  The pilot must have loved it!

Cheers

Hi Ravnos, I’m just a bod. I don’t think that a Lanc would be acceptable as high wing as it is a mid-wing. Sunderland is favourite and if I’m going well might knock up a 1/152 Lincoln International Sunderland 😊

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

I don’t think that a Lanc would be acceptable as high wing as it is a mid-wing.

Wow, ok just had to go back and look at a picture after reading that and you are of course correct 🤣 please excuse the memory failure but I could have sworn it was a high wing without looking at one lol. I've got a few others that would be eligable but I was leaning towards the Sunderland anyway.

Ravnos, would love to see what you come up with regarding a Sunderland. The Airfix kit is a lot of work, I have made a couple. The Italeri is the MkI and looks wonderful. What do you have in mind? 😊

I already have the Airfix kit so would be going with that one, its the most recent (I think) 1/72 boxing of it. I've not built it before and it would be my first forray into big multi engine bombers. I'll need to do a bit of research to see what I'd need to add to the kit to do it justice.

as well as the sunderland I also have a Kit for the Hughes H4 Hercules which might be fun, its 1/200 and the model should be about the same size as the 1/72 sunderland 🤣

4 hours ago, Ravnos said:

Hi @CliffB , Are you accepting latecommers? I'd love to join in once I decide which kit to go with. (current front runners are a Sunderland or Lancaster)

Hello Ravnos… Cliff’s away for the weekend but as Co-host Id say welcome to the build. As others have noted the Lancaster is a shoulder mounted wing. The Sunderland would be a great choice but so would the “Spruce-Goose”  I will leave it to you to make the ultimate decision. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Ravnos… Cliff’s away for the weekend but as Co-host Id say welcome to the build. As others have noted the Lancaster is a shoulder mounted wing. The Sunderland would be a great choice but so would the “Spruce-Goose”  I will leave it to you to make the ultimate decision. 

Great thanks buddy :)

Not sure why I thought the Lanc was eligible, total brain fart moment 😅

I think I'll go with the Sunderland, as cool as the Spruce Goose is I think the scale and single colour would make it too quick of a build for this (I'm sure I'll eat those words when I do get round to building it lol)

I'll get a build thread started in the next day or two.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2