High Wing GB Chat ++ WE NOW HAVE GALLERY POLL WINNERS++

CliffB

Hi Cliff,

Just had a thought - would you consider the TSR-2 to be eligible as it did to my mind have a high wing, and I really must get round to building my version before too long?

Pete

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Cliff,

Just had a thought - would you consider the TSR-2 to be eligible as it did to my mind have a high wing, and I really must get round to building my version before too long?

Pete

Hi Pete.  Most definitely "yes".  Whilst the GB theme was inspired by STOL, I deliberately chose the qualifying criterion to be more encompassing (and easier to ajudicate!).  

A TSR-2 would be very welcome :thumbsup:

Cheers

Thanks Cliff,

I have had the Airfix kit for at least 10 years, and this GB will hopefully give me the incentive to build it at last. When I was at uni, we went on a trip to what was then Cranfield College of Aeronautics in around January 1970 and they had one of the two survivors, albeit not quite complete. I have been fascinated by the plane ever since. I will be building a WIF "in service " version I expect, something I don't normally do, but I think it deserves it!

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Marklo said:

Have decided I will add a Junkers J6 to the mix, it was only ever a half built prototype but I like it.

I can see why you like it Mark, it's very unusual (which is not unusual for you :winkgrin:).

I have to say that your build choices are inspiring me to think about going more 'old school' too.

I used to build a lot of Chaco War subjects, although I've since sold on most of my unbuilt kits.  One that I've kept though is this Dujin resin kit.

Wibault.jpg

Advanced for its time (mid 1920s), it had an all metal construction but was a bit of a disaster in Paraguayan service due to severe engine overheating problems at anything like full power.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Thanks. that’s an interesting build.

I suppose I gravitate towards the esoteric. I do try the try to build things that were built, so no concept builds ( the J6 was apparently started but postponed awaiting data from the D1(j9) but then abandoned when the armistice was declared, do technically that counts :) ).

That said I like the mainstream too, I have an Fw190 and a Gnat in Wip at the moment (and I have 8 me109s lined up for the GB) But the area  I’m finding most interesting at the moment are the ‘lost’ WWI and interwar types like the later  Fokkers and the early Heinkels or the later Nieuports. ( I’ve done quite a few British ones)

Edited by Marklo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cliff, I just reinvented an urge to build a Dornier 215 (instead of the modern maritime patrol a/c I had thought about earlier) and browsing through this thread I found nobody had yet asked the eligibility of a Do 17/215 as a high wing aircraft. So if it's ok for this GB, I'll add the kit on my wishlist asap! Oh - It's not radial engined, but... :whistle:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Cliff, I just reinvented an urge to build a Dornier 215 (instead of the modern maritime patrol a/c I had thought about earlier) and browsing through this thread I found nobody had yet asked the eligibility of a Do 17/215 as a high wing aircraft. So if it's ok for this GB, I'll add the kit on my wishlist asap! Oh - It's not radial engined, but... :whistle:

Hi V-P.  Yes, Do.17/215 are both high wing :thumbsup2:.  Come to think about it, quite a lot of Dorniers are!

Cheers

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully by the time this starts I’ll be organised to participate. 

The thing is - what subject / kit to choose?  

Welsh 1:144 Short Belfast might be the front runner seeing I’ve seen the one at Cairns Airport (CNS) often enough and I never forked out the 100 Pound or whatever it was in 2005 for the Magna 1:72 kit when at Telford as the Aussie Paeso was only 0.33 then (compared to around 0.55 nowadays). 

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

Hopefully by the time this starts I’ll be organised to participate. 

The thing is - what subject / kit to choose?  

The problem with the GB still being some way away, is that I keep changing my mind on what to build!

The Belfast would be bang on topic though and a great choice :thumbsup2:

Cheers

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

I'd be in for this.

I have a few ideas involving the following :

Twin Otter

C-130

Airbus A-400

C-27J Spartan

Would be paint job only but, all fictitious schemes. Would that be OK?

Also, would more than one be OK?

JOHN

Hi John and thanks for your interest in the High Wing Group Build.

There'll be no problem with fictitious schemes, but there is an expectation that there will some construction work involved (i.e. not simply a paint job).  If I've understood your question correctly?

There's also no problem with having multiple entries in a Group Build, usually with each entry having its own build thread.

I hope that helps :winkgrin:.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

273b202d-62f5-40f9-8af0-db49e7fdbf5a.jpeCame across this while surfing the interweb, I think it’s a Boeing light fighter prototype, I just have to build one for the GB.

No it’s South African Ahrlac.

Found a 3 view drawing just need to scale it to 1/48.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

No it’s South African Ahrlac.

Another weird and wonderful choice Mark - albeit about a century newer than your usual fare ;)

At first sight I thought 'Lego', but I guess that's just the camo doing its job!

Cheers

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CliffB said:

At first sight I thought 'Lego', but I guess that's just the camo doing its job!

Me too, my scratchbuilders eye sees an assemblage of very simple shapes and I love the digital camo.

5e9c62d1-d628-426e-9ed1-170d11b0ed35.jpe

resized_375858b7-830d-40dd-a2a0-db5a79a5

Not everything I build is ancient, I just have a software soft spot for the eclectic and there is a whole lot more of it in early aviation.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Marklo said:

Not everything I build is ancient, I just have a software soft spot for the eclectic and there is a whole lot more of it in early aviation.

Eclectic is good :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, reini said:

I'm not falling for the WWEMD trap - but let's just say that I'm still contemplating on which plane I will start building first :P Here are two possible candidates:

This is the first time that the Barracuda's been suggested I think :thumbsup2:

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi Cliff, looking at my stash, there is an Airfix Cessna O2 that fancies being built if I can cobble together some El Salvadorian markings for it (same roundel as Greek in a small size). Mrs T has strong connections with the country (like being a great great niece of one of its many dictators, sorry, presidents) and her father was born there. Fascinating family story that I think I have alluded to before. I also have a Sopwith Swallow I fancy doing etc, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mr T said:

Hi Cliff, looking at my stash, there is an Airfix Cessna O2 that fancies being built if I can cobble together some El Salvadorian markings for it (same roundel as Greek in a small size). Mrs T has strong connections with the country (like being a great great niece of one of its many dictators, sorry, presidents) and her father was born there. Fascinating family story that I think I have alluded to before. I also have a Sopwith Swallow I fancy doing etc, etc. 

Both sound great choices Mr T (although I must admit that I had to Google the Sopwith Swallow ;)).  It's always nice too, when you have a personal link to a subject.

Not too long to go now!

Cheers

• Thanks 1

On 19/02/2021 at 21:49, theplasticsurgeon said:

a transport,

Revell_C17_Globemaster.jpg

Count on me joining in,  a few other subjects.

I am immensely jealous of that C17! I can't find one to put RAF roundels on

46 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

A few potential candidates for this GB in this little lot

Superb!  Classic parasol fighters.

I am surprised though Pat, that you still have any inter-war French subjects left to build :winkgrin:

• Haha 3