High Wing GB Chat ++ WE NOW HAVE GALLERY POLL WINNERS++

CliffB

38 minutes ago, CliffB said:

Nice!  Which version did you go for?

The 2020 release - Mk iii

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dora-wings-dw72024-westland-lysander-mk-iii--1298872

I remember building one as a kid and the local model shop owner Mike knows I like WW2 subjects and pointed it out to me.....

• Like 1

I don't see myself on the list though I thought I had applied; so without further ado please add me on the list...  and if things are kind I should have my new shed and facility up and running by then... it ought to be by end of January at the earliest.... fingers crossed,

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Paul J said:

I don't see myself on the list though I thought I had applied; so without further ado please add me on the list...  and if things are kind I should have my new shed and facility up and running by then... it ought to be by end of January at the earliest.... fingers crossed,

'Tis done now Paul :thumbsup2:.  Any thoughts on a subject yet?

Good luck with your new shed project - it sounds exciting!

Cheers

1 hour ago, Richard Tucker said:

The 2020 release - Mk iii

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dora-wings-dw72024-westland-lysander-mk-iii--1298872

I remember building one as a kid and the local model shop owner Mike knows I like WW2 subjects and pointed it out to me.....

Thanks Richard.  I haven't seen any reviews, but I'm guessing it will be a big advance on whichever kit you built as kid (mine was an Airfix ;)).

3 hours ago, CliffB said:

'Tis done now Paul :thumbsup2:.  Any thoughts on a subject yet?

Good luck with your new shed project - it sounds exciting!

Cheers

I have  a few.  AZ Models Auster III, Hobbycraft Beaver, Otter, Heller CL-415,   Airfix BN-2,  Matchvell/ Revbox  DH Twin Otter,  Dujin Kirby Cadet Mk.3/T31 glider just to name a few but will not do all though. Maybe just a couple depending on how I get along.

• Like 2

Just saw this groupbuild for next year. If (if!) I get my modelling executed per plan I'd like to participate with a Kawasaki Ki-10, a 1930s Japanese biplane fighter.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2019 at 7:45 PM, Avereda said:

I’ve got a couple of options in the stash but the opportunity to have a bash at Lysander will be irresistible, add me to the runners and riders

Hmmm, I think I will actually be able to resist the Lysander. An old Airfix Harrier or a Smer Piper Cub look more likely candidates now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Toryu said:

Just saw this groupbuild for next year. If (if!) I get my modelling executed per plan I'd like to participate with a Kawasaki Ki-10, a 1930s Japanese biplane fighter.

I must admit that I had to Google the Ki-10, Toryu ;).  It would certainly make an interesting addition to the Group Build.

The front end reminds me of a D-12 engined Curtiss Falcon (an aircraft that I'm a bit more familiar with).

2 hours ago, Avereda said:

Hmmm, I think I will actually be able to resist the Lysander. An old Airfix Harrier or a Smer Piper Cub look more likely candidates now.

I'm sorry to hear that you'll be passing on the Lysander, Avereda (although it does look as though there will others in the GB).

Both the Harrier and Cub would be excellent candidates too though :thumbsup:

Cheers

10 minutes ago, CliffB said:

The front end reminds me of a D-12 engined Curtiss Falcon

Yes, the Ki-10 is only known to a secret society of Japanese model aficionados... The engine is based on a German BMW IV - similar in layout to the Curtiss Conquerer.

• Like 1

Hi Cliff,

I was thinking of just entering my Hs 126, but then I saw your comment about A-7 and Harriers, both of which are in my stash, as is an F-8 which I guess also qualifies? If I am feeling brave I could also try and build my 1/72 Roden Fokker E.V aka D.VIII!

Cheers

Pete

3 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Cliff,

I was thinking of just entering my Hs 126, but then I saw your comment about A-7 and Harriers, both of which are in my stash, as is an F-8 which I guess also qualifies? If I am feeling brave I could also try and build my 1/72 Roden Fokker E.V aka D.VIII!

Cheers

Pete

Some great choices there Pete :thumbsup2:

I've just checked the rules and it says that the wing must be located 'at, or above, the top of the fuselage' - so the F-8 would qualify on both counts! 

Cheers

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I'm not trying to change the rules (too late now!) or start a fight, but it seems peculiar to me to include biplanes in the category of "high wing".  It's sort of like saying that muesli is oatmeal, because they both contain oats.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

I'm not trying to change the rules (too late now!) or start a fight, but it seems peculiar to me to include biplanes in the category of "high wing".  It's sort of like saying that muesli is oatmeal, because they both contain oats.

Think STOL and you'll see the link between most high wing types and biplanes.  They're frequently high-lift designs that fly relatively slowly and often there are struts involved too!  That's the spirit of the GB.

To be honest, I didn't specifically have biplanes in mind when I  formulated the eligibility criterion ('a wing at or above the top of the fuselage'), but I'm very happy to welcome them into the fold - particularly as the dedicated 'Double Deckers GB', failed to get through this year's bunfight.

Cheers

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Could I join this one please .  I have a few contenders for this. 

Absolutely!  Welcome Chris.  Do you have any preference yet on what to build?

Cheers

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

Absolutely!  Welcome Chris.  Do you have any preference yet on what to build?

Cheers

Hi Cliff

Thank you, I am not sure yet,  I do have a 48th scale Auster 3, a Cesena 172, a Corban Super Ace, 72nd Stranraer,  or 32nd Piper Super Cub to choose from .  Will see nearer the time as I am terrible and will likely change my mind several times.

Thanks

Chris

• Haha 1

Hi all,

I'll be doing this:

50866271467_a539fc1cb9_z.jpg

as one of these or very similar (this poor quality image was one of the few I found to use without infringing the copyright business), probably the more recent FUGRO scheme with red booms:

50866185971_3854bf0d44_z.jpg

There are plenty of images of VH-WGT in the white and beige FUGRO scheme around for reference so I'll have enough to go on.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MarkSH said:

There are plenty of images of VH-WGT in the white and beige FUGRO scheme around for reference so I'll have enough to go on.

I must admit I had to Google this one Mark ;).  A great choice.

I think Tony Robinson and his geophys mates, would have enjoyed themselves with one of these on Time Team!

• 2 weeks later...

I have just ordered the new Dora Wings Pilatus Turbo Porter from Hannants, which I will do in Australian Army markings.

AW

Edited by Andwil
Undoing autocorrect which changed Pilatus to Pilates!
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Andwil said:

I have just ordered the new Dora Wings Pilatus Turbo Porter from Hannants, which I will do in Australian Army markings.

AW

A great choice AW.  I always enjoy those fantastic videos of Turbo Porters being flown into (and out of), the most ridiculous places :coolio:

• Like 1

I can well remember watching them perform at air shows here, but the wildest memory is when the Australian Grand Prix was held in Adelaide, while most of the circuit was on closed public roads, the pits and a loop of track were built on the infield of the Victoria Park horse racing track on the edge of the city.  Behind one of the large stands where we had our seats, was an area used by helicopters and one year they landed a Porter there, and then took off again.  crazy!

AW

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Marklo said:

Seriously thinking of building one of these,  it’s a Fokker DX essentially a Mercedes powered DVIII to which it would make an interesting companion.

That would be great addition to the Group Build, Mark.  Will there be an element of scratch-building required?

Cheers

2 hours ago, CliffB said:

Will there be an element of scratch-building required?

Oh completely, but it shouldn’t be too difficult, so long as I have enough balsa for the wing. Otherwise it’s fairly simple geometry. 

There were only 11 built ten went to Spain and one to Finland and seeing as to how I can only find details of the Spanish machines it’ll be in Spanish colours.

Actually having done quite a few British interwar planes I realised that German subjects seem to disappear after 1918 and the next you see are all bearing swastikas ie 1933 or later so there’s a huge gap there, so I’m going to try to build some of the German planes from that period, the DX never made it to the Jadgstaffellen had the war continued into 1919 it would have, so could be a nice what if either.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Actually having done quite a few British interwar planes I realised that German subjects seem to disappear after 1918 and the next you see are all bearing swastikas ie 1933 or later so there’s a huge gap there, so I’m going to try to build some of the German planes from that period, the DX never made it to the Jadgstaffellen had the war continued into 1919 it would have, so could be a nice what if either.

I think you're right.  I used to be heavily into inter-war stuff, which inevitably took me to Huma for German aircraft - but as you say, more '30s than '20s.

• Like 1