High Wing GB Chat ++ WE NOW HAVE GALLERY POLL WINNERS++

CliffB

11 hours ago, Ravnos said:

The Spruce Goose is I think the scale and single colour would make it too quick of a build for this

Oh boy  !

That's really asking for trouble, hopefully the modelling gremlins weren't listening. 

Best of luck with your build. 

Cheers Pat 

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Oh boy  !

That's really asking for trouble, hopefully the modelling gremlins weren't listening. 

Best of luck with your build. 

Cheers Pat 

Haha I know right?! me and my big mouth, fingers crossed that one doesn't come back to bite me, I was thinking it might be a good fit for the prototypes GB next year if that one goes ahead so hopefully it'll make a reappearance then.

Edited by Ravnos
typo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Id say welcome aboard Farmans do appear to be a high wing to my old Mk.I’s

😁 Any higher and it would be wingless.

• Haha 1

Evening All

Sorry to be late to the party but I have been participating in another GB on another site and I cannot work on two projects at the same time. I am almost finished with the current one so am ready to think about another build and will join in here if I am allowed with a scratch build of the Short No 2 biplane of 1909. It is of historical importance because it was the first British aircraft to fly a distance of more than a few yards. This was achieved by a young man by the name of Brabazon - some of you may have heard of him. It also happened to take place on the Isle of Sheppy in Kent - not far from where I live and last year I came across the site when walking with a friend. Given the importance of this aircraft and event in British aviation history I thought that I ought at least to make a model of the same. It will be in the One True Scale because sadly there is no kit.

I hope to be able to post the first shots of progress within a week - I could show my kit now but I will post that at the same time as early progress.

Thanks for reading.

P

• Like 2

Hi Lads

A bit late to the party....

Back in May I was thinking of doing a Hs 123.  However, I note that this particular aircraft has already been entered...and almost completed.  

So, for variety, and since nobody (surprisingly) - so far as I can see - has (as yet) entered one in the group build, I would like to do the Storch, probably in Spanish Civil War livery

Is that OK?

I can start in a week or so - just coming up to the finishing line on two other Group Builds atm - the less than a tenner one and the Bf 109 one....

Thanks

Philip

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Prenton said:

Hi Lads

A bit late to the party....

Back in May I was thinking of doing a Hs 123.  However, I note that this particular aircraft has already been entered...and almost completed.  

So, for variety, and since nobody (surprisingly) - so far as I can see - has (as yet) entered one in the group build, I would like to do the Storch, probably in Spanish Civil War livery

Is that OK?

I can start in a week or so - just coming up to the finishing line on two other Group Builds atm - the less than a tenner one and the Bf 109 one....

Thanks

Philip

A Storch would be great though you could still build the 123, its not uncommon to see more than one of the same type in a build. 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2019 at 11:45 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Cliff

Thinking about changing my Build to something a bit more unusual, would this one be suitable ?

IMG_4689

Picture from Scalemates

Cheers Pat

Pat, Interestingly one of these was shot down by a Mosquito in which an RCAF chap I knew, Russ Rivers, was navigator. It happened on the night of 24/25th of April 1945 and as such was one of the last British nightfighter kills of WWII. The aircraft, flown by KG200, had come out of Tempelhopf and was returning from a re-supply mission.

Russ initially identified it as a Junkers 290 because he didn't know the Arado aircraft existed. He talked to me years ago about this and always wondered if he had 'got' some High Command fleeing from Berlin. As he was in Canada I visited the Imperial War museum on holiday back to the 'old country' and got the investigation started. Evidently the German magazine 'Jet and Prop' got involved hence the proper identification. Evidently Russ was flown to Germany and met one of the chaps who he had shot down !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

May I request an adjudication on a point of order.

I know this is a high-wing GB, but does just a wing count?

If I manage to complete the twotter and still have some time, I'm thinking of this:

p?i=582df714502e8a35ed6bb62ad83d3ed3

Not a problem if it's not eligible but I thought I'd check

37 minutes ago, psdavidson said:

May I request an adjudication on a point of order.

I know this is a high-wing GB, but does just a wing count?

Thanks for the interesting query on the Ho-229.  Unfortunately, when viewed from the front, the centreline of the Horten's wing runs through the centre of the fuselage so it can't really be considered as a 'high wing'.  Sorry to disappoint!

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cliff

Can I ask for adjudication as well pls.  I don’t have much in the stash but I do have a special hobby Heinkel He 162 Spatz.  

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/special-hobby-sh72341-heinkel-he-162-spatz--1264369

I think that counts notwithstanding the jet engine sitting on top?

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Davek72 said:

Can I ask for adjudication as well pls.  I don’t have much in the stash but I do have a special hobby Heinkel He 162 Spatz.  

An He.162 would be fine Dave.  In fact, more than fine! :thumbsup2:

There are quite a few high-wing aircraft that have their engines mounted on top of the wing.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, airfixpeter said:

If I have time I will pop this one in. 

That would be very colourful Peter (assuming that you would be doing the box scheme?).

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

If you've enjoyed or been enjoying, building a Hugh-wing or biplane model or even if you've found a High-wing or a biplane a challenge but would like more join our Flamin' Fokkers GB proposal for next year.

We need only 9 more names to get into the Big Britmodeller Bun Fight

Fokker made plenty of High-wing aeroplanes as well as Biplanes and the most famous of WW1 aeroplanes the Triplane DR.1. There be plenty of choice of subjects

There is loads of time for you to finish your present build in this GB but Flamin' Fokkers gives you the chance to continue with more builds next year

• Like 1

• 1 month later...