High Wing GB Chat ++ WE NOW HAVE GALLERY POLL WINNERS++

CliffB

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice choice, peace or war time colors ? 

Peacetime commercial.

Might have to scratch build a guy smoking a pipe (j/k)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I thought I had my name down for this. Might attempt the Dora Wings Lysander Mk.III SD I have, although I do have a few others as well.

Davey.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

I thought I had my name down for this. Might attempt the Dora Wings Lysander Mk.III SD I have, although I do have a few others as well.

Davey.

That sounds like a great choice Davey :thumbsup2:.

My apologies if your name is not on the list.  To be honest, once we got through the bun fight I became less rigorous on the names.  All are welcome, regardless :).

Cheers

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Now that my house move is almost complete, I can look forward to doing some modelling.  This is my subject for this GB:

51341082984_b479eef527_b.jpg

51340565248_ee9095dbdc_b.jpg

Been busy organising my new study/modelling room, which is a fair bit smaller than the old one.

51340563723_3e898dcba7_b.jpg

51339617672_efa38232f4_b.jpg

Unpacking all my collection which survived the move amazingly well, 113 completed models and many hundreds of a Napoleonic minis and only one breakage - an aerial on a Bf-110G nightfighter (naturally!) but easily fixed.

51341081134_d138e7f5f6_b.jpg

51341081104_23c1752496_b.jpg

51340563173_3aa969b48d_b.jpg

51339617352_c9e4fa86d1_b.jpg

51340563458_3a181cfa55_b.jpg

51341080929_7b68c8702f_b.jpg

Apologies for the gratuitous self promotion!

AW

• Like 13

I'm glad to see that your house move went so well @Andwil and that your impressive collection survived almost completely intact.  I moved house a couple of years ago and my model collection was one of the few things that I did not entrust to the removals company ;).

Your Porter will be a great addition to the GB.  I've spent many a happy hour watching extreme take-off and landing videos on YouTube!

Cheers

• Like 1

Well, I did start fiddling (just barely so far) with a 1/48 Auster... but I've also been trying for some time to convince myself to attempt one of Revell's 32nd Super Cubs.  Not that I couldn't find plenty of other candidates in my horde.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Well, I did start fiddling (just barely so far) with a 1/48 Auster... but I've also been trying for some time to convince myself to attempt one of Revell's 32nd Super Cubs.  Not that I couldn't find plenty of other candidates in my horde.

We look forward to seeing which you choose! :popcorn:

Not long now...

Hi Cliff,

I have decided to add a second subject to the GB - the Tamiya 1/48 Storch. Markings not yet decided - Bulgarian (Kora decals on the way) or the kit's winter scheme.  Still plenty of time to decide. The PZL P.24B is up first. 

Ray

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 4:29 PM, Avereda said:

Hmmm, I think I will actually be able to resist the Lysander. An old Airfix Harrier or a Smer Piper Cub look more likely candidates now.

In the end it’s going to be none of the above. The old Airfix Auster Antarctic has come out on top. Decals de-yellowing inside my attic window as we speak.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Cliff,

I have decided to add a second subject to the GB - the Tamiya 1/48 Storch. Markings not yet decided - Bulgarian (Kora decals on the way) or the kit's winter scheme.  Still plenty of time to decide. The PZL P.24B is up first. 

Ray

That would be another nice choice Ray :thumbsup2:.

Have you used Kora decals before?  I've used them just once and found them to be rather susceptible to surface damage from tweezers etc (otherwise very good though).

1 hour ago, Avereda said:

In the end it’s going to be none of the above. The old Airfix Auster Antarctic has come out on top. Decals de-yellowing inside my attic window as we speak.

A classic!   IIRC, it should be painted orange though, rather than the Airfix recommendation of yellow.   You probably knew that ;).

Cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

Have you used Kora decals before?

Hi Cliff, Yes a number of times and recently in the 109 STGB. I find them good although I do like putting a white base under the National markings like so:

BM BF-109G6 Construction 44

Ray

• Like 3

Trying to avoid gbs now having failed with so many deadlines and builds in general I’ve the last 2 years and given high winged aircraft aren’t my thing I assumed I’d be missing this one. But just realised the Revell mig25 I recently got cheap has a rather high wing…is that good enough or we just sticking to pure  high wing aircraft with the entire body below the wing?

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

I can’t decide what to enter.

There's an ICM Dornier 215, Academy Storch, Avis Henschel 123, Matchbox Walrus and Stranraer, Airfix Swordfish, Gladiator, Tiger Moth, A Model Hawker Hector, Heller Potez 540, Smer Amiot 143, AZ Model Avro Tutor, Valom Harrow, Italeri CR42 and Sunderland, Contrail Lerwick…

:frantic:

Actually, the last two are out. The Sunderland is just too big, and the Lerwick is vacform and reserved for another GB if it comes to pass.

Decisions, decisions… :think:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Well I think you know which one I would vote for Ray

Hi Craig, I'm getting a chill just thinking about it.

It's a gorgeous, but pricey, little Tamiya kit that I actually bought to finish in a desert mottle. I built the Airfix 1/72 version with the desert scheme as a kid. I think this was the first time I tried to get the colours somewhat accurate (i.e. based on the instructions). I remember I was very proud of the mottle and my canopy painting.  So there is a little nostalgia wrapped up in this build. Desert, Snow, Balkans?  I'll decide which scheme after I see the Kora decals. 

Ray

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Craig, I'm getting a chill just thinking about it.

It's a gorgeous, but pricey, little Tamiya kit that I actually bought to finish in a desert mottle. I built the Airfix 1/72 version with the desert scheme as a kid. I think this was the first time I tried to get the colours somewhat accurate (i.e. based on the instructions). I remember I was very proud of the mottle and my canopy painting.  So there is a little nostalgia wrapped up in this build. Desert, Snow, Balkans?  I'll decide which scheme after I see the Kora decals. 

Ray

I built one or two of the old Airfix Storch's in my youth and have had great affection for the aircraft ever since, and they did come a wide and interesting variety of schemes. The Tamiya kit looks very good but is rather pricey, I have an old ESCI 1/48 one in the stash (somewhere) that almost got chosen for this GB but I have settled on a HS-126 so a stablemate of your Storch, and yes I will be building mine with the temporary Winter wash on it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I can’t decide what to enter.

There's an ICM Dornier 215, Academy Storch, Avis Henschel 123, Matchbox Walrus and Stranraer, Airfix Swordfish, Gladiator, Tiger Moth, A Model Hawker Hector, Heller Potez 540, Smer Amiot 143, AZ Model Avro Tutor, Valom Harrow, Italeri CR42 and Sunderland, Contrail Lerwick…

:frantic:

Actually, the last two are out. The Sunderland is just too big, and the Lerwick is vacform and reserved for another GB if it comes to pass.

Decisions, decisions… :think:

I'd vote for the Sunderland, such an ungainly looking beast (I like odd aircraft) or Lerwick but ruling those out my vote would be with the Harrow, Stranraer or Walrus in that order.

I have a similar issue...

Hmmm - what to build...

1/72 Sopwith Camel?

1/72 PBY Catalina?

1/48 Cessna 0-2A?

I'd like to do all 3 but it kind of stresses me with loads of unfinished kits - I've got 3 GB entries ongoing and 2 I need to start! Cessna is calling to me though since it's been decades since I did a 1/48th kit.

• Like 2

resized_1e8bcafc-95f3-4984-ba32-4c6f3bb5I got this today, not my usual but I had a token to use up and it was either that or two Gnats. Will definitely use the kit scheme, but I’m torn as to wether I’ll build it for the high wing or save it for the animals GB if it goes through for 2022. 

I think I’ll kick off the GB offerings with the Junkers.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Trying to avoid gbs now having failed with so many deadlines and builds in general I’ve the last 2 years and given high winged aircraft aren’t my thing I assumed I’d be missing this one. But just realised the Revell mig25 I recently got cheap has a rather high wing…is that good enough or we just sticking to pure  high wing aircraft with the entire body below the wing?

Hi Stu - IMHO a Group Build wouldn't be a Group Build without your participation :winkgrin:

The good news is that a MiG 25 would qualify nicely.  Spines on top of a fuselage can be ignored as can other things, such as cockpit canopies and engines (He.162 anyone?), that may protude above the fuselage.

Cheers