High Wing GB Chat ++ WE NOW HAVE GALLERY POLL WINNERS++

CliffB

Hi Cliff.

I hope you can squeeze me in. I am sticking with my Bulgarian Air Force theme of the past year and plan to build Mirage-Hobby's 1/48 Bulgarian PZL.24B 

PZL24B

Should make for an attractive scheme.

Ray

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ray_W said:

Should make for an attractive scheme.

Absolutely it should Ray, although the flashes on the spats could be tricky!  A great choice :thumbsup2:

Cheers

• Like 1

Getting ready for this one.. choices I have are Beaver, Otter, Twin Otter, Norseman, CL-415,  1/144th vacform Bristol Freighter( Welsh Models) and maybe a couple others if i check.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Getting ready for this one.. choices I have are Beaver, Otter, Twin Otter, Norseman, CL-415,  1/144th vacform Bristol Freighter( Welsh Models) and maybe a couple others if i check.

I wouldn't know what to chose from that lot Paul, but the Freighter does sound particularly interesting...

Cheers

32 minutes ago, CliffB said:

I wouldn't know what to chose from that lot Paul, but the Freighter does sound particularly interesting...

Cheers

The Bristol I have planned to do as a RCAF one. Was going to save it for the possible Canadian GB or even try it for the AUs/NZ GB but too late for that one now

• Like 1

Hi Cliff,

Is there any chance I could sneak in under the wire and take part in this GB as well?

I've got the From Azur Renard R-31 in my stash, and I've been looking for an excuse to get  PZL or two and a Morane Parasol of some sort.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Is there any chance I could sneak in under the wire and take part in this GB as well?

I've got the From Azur Renard R-31 in my stash, and I've been looking for an excuse to get  PZL or two and a Morane Parasol of some sort.

Absolutely yes Mark!  I had to Google the Renard, but what a beautiful aircraft it is :thumbsup2:

Thanks for signing up.

Cliff

• Thanks 1

Just now, CliffB said:

Absolutely yes Mark!  I had to Google the Renard, but what a beautiful aircraft it is :thumbsup2:

Thanks for signing up.

Cliff

Thanks, Cliff, that's brilliant! Looking forward to taking part!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Cliff - how would a Hs 123 count in this GB?   

I have one that has lain in the stash for a number of years - the venerable Italeri/Esci kit in 1/48th.  Got it at Telford kitswop in 2015 for a fiver.  So about time to let it out of its box, if that's within the theme...

Philip

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Prenton said:

Cliff - how would a Hs 123 count in this GB?   

I have one that has lain in the stash for a number of years - the venerable Italeri/Esci kit in 1/48th.  Got is at Telford kitswop in 2015 for a fiver.  So about time to let it out of its box, if that's within the theme...

Philip

Hi Philip.  Yes, I'm pleased to say that biplanes are included within the scope of Group Build so your Hs.123 would be very welcome.  We don't see too many Hs.123s on BritModeller and particularly not in 1/48 :thumbsup2:.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Marklo said:

I have a question, would this qualify as high wing ?

I've do idea what it is, but it certainly would qualify :winkgrin:.

As a general principle biplanes are allowed and, more specifically, your proposal would appear to be a very good contender for the 'highest wing' award!

Cheers

On 10/05/2021 at 18:11, Paul J said:

Can ypu guess what I'm going to say...?  :wicked: 

• Haha 3

It’s a Grahame White type 20 and I love the way it looks as if it’s been startled. Apparently the upper wing was set so high to improve the pilots visibility.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

On 4/26/2021 at 10:27 AM, JOCKNEY said:

A few potential candidates for this GB in this little lot

IMG_5788

Cheers Pat

Ooooo There are some nice planes in that lot. It would be an expensive day if I went to a shop and sort that sort of selection.... Although I'm sure that Mike at Clifton Curios knows my like of building aircraft flown during ww2 and gets really obscure kits and planes in just so I part with my money :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bianfuxia said:

Does a Victor qualify as "high wing"? Head on it looks higher than from side on.

I can do my Victor in another GB so I am fine either way - just wondering really!

I can never decide whether these types of adjudication are the best bit, or the worse bit, of being a GB host!

IIRC I've already said 'yes' to the Valiant, but unfortunately I'm going to say 'no' to the Victor.  It's maybe hard to rationalise, but I think the centreline of Victor's wing roughly corresponds with the centreline of its fuselage - it only looks higher because the upper surface of the wing sweeps up over the engines.  In contrast, the c/l of the Valiant's wing is much higher.  I hope that makes sense.

Sorry!

Cheers

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, CliffB said:

I can never decide whether these types of adjudication are the best bit, or the worse bit, of being a GB host!

IIRC I've already said 'yes' to the Valiant, but unfortunately I'm going to say 'no' to the Victor.  It's maybe hard to rationalise, but I think the centreline of Victor's wing roughly corresponds with the centreline of its fuselage - it only looks higher because the upper surface of the wing sweeps up over the engines.  In contrast, the c/l of the Valiant's wing is much higher.  I hope that makes sense.

Sorry!

Cheers

I agree Cliff, the wing starts high in front but slopes to a very low position on the fuselage. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I agree Cliff, the wing starts high in front but slopes to a very low position on the fuselage. 

Thanks Cliff and nicely adjudicated! 

Being a true modeller, I have about 458 million models in my stash and many of them are high wing. I'll send the Victor to another GB and raid the stash for something else for this one.

I honestly think half the fun of GBs for me is plotting out which kits go into which GB.

Looking forward to this one starting. 

I think I'll kick it off with this, which I bought in hopeful anticipation of that Arctic/Antarctic GB that didn't get off the ground ice. :) 

amo1451.jpg

(pic from the Britmodeller article above)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

I honestly think half the fun of GBs for me is plotting out which kits go into which GB.

I agree completely :winkgrin:

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, stevej60 said:

I've always fancied building the Mitsubishi T2,managed to get this duel combo for a very reasonable bid I hope they qualify?

https://www.scalemates.com/cs/kits/hasegawa-09897-mitsubishi-f-1-sea-camouflage--101113

Absolutely yes Steve :thumbsup2:.   Funnily enough, I've been looking at a Jaguar T2 in my stash and thinking maybe the same thing ...

Cheers

• Like 2