Alistair MacLean's HMS Ulysses 1943

Gidday All, here is a model of Alistair MacLean's HMS Ulysses, the cruiser that was the subject of his book of the same name. This book was written in 1955 and first read by me in 1970 I think.
     The ship was a fictitious vessel, the fore-runner of and very similar to the Bellona (Black Prince) class of light cruisers. The ship was armed with eight 5.25-inch dual purpose guns, twelve 2lb pompoms in three quad mounts and eighteen 20mm Oerlikon AA guns, plus depth charges and six 21-inch torpedo tubes.
     The model is in the scale of 1/600, as are most of my model ships. It uses an Airfix Ajax hull shell along with the shafts screws and rudder, main gun turrets and HACS (high angle control station) came from a KGV kit, main DCT (director control tower) torpedo-tubes rafts search-lights anchors boats and davits came from a Belfast kit and I scratch-built just about everything else, including all decks superstructures funnels masts depth-charges and light AA guns. The funnels have grills on top but they're not very noticeable in these photos.

HMS Ulysses 1943 jm2 HMS Ulysses 1943 jm10 HMS Ulysses 1943 jm11 HMS Ulysses 1943 jm12 HMS Ulysses 1943 jm13

Here is a photo of the bridge structure. I built the wind deflectors around the fore-bridge and added the windscreens. On the port side of the fore-bridge is Admiral Tyndall's raised arm chair. It's a bit rough so I didn't zoom in any closer. The captain's shelter is inside the round base of the DCT, with the door on the stbd side I think, as shown here. The rectangular structure just forward of the DCT contains the ASDIC cabinet on the stbd side here, and on the port side it contains the chart house. Doors are on either side.
     Directly below the fore-bridge is a twin pedestal 20mm Oerlikon mounting. It features in the story. The black dot on the front of the gun position is the navigation light, obviously not used when 'darken ship' conditions apply. Below and aft of that gun position is a twin powered 20mm Oerlikon mounting, and forward of the bridge structure is one of the quadruple 2lb pompom mountings. It is a bit blurred because the camera was focused on the bridge structure.

HMS Ulysses 1943 jm14

There is more detailed discussion and photos in my WIP thread regarding the choice of guns and fittings on the model. As you can see, my scratch-built parts are nowhere near the quality of PE parts but I prefer to make my own if I can. Thank you for your interest. Regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 44
  • Thanks 1

Gidday All, thank you for you kind responses, the likes and comments. And Stevehnz, I managed to make some funnel grills for this model. Nothing fancy, just stretched sprue across the tops of the funnels but as you suggested to me some time ago I think it improves the look of the model. They're not evident in these photos but a photo in the WIP thread (post #18 I think) shows them a bit better. Thank you for the advice. I've got to give some thought to making better radar scanners I think - what I've used here (fly screen) was a bit crude.

Again, thank you all. Regards, Jeff.

Fantastic to see it completed as I've been following your build thread with great interest - so much so, that you inspired me to buy a copy of the book.  Ebay produced a lovely hardback edition with dust cover from the first year of publication (for about the cost of a new paperback), & like Steve, I'll be refering to the pics of your excellent model when re-reading it.  Really impressive work, let alone for such a small scale.

• Thanks 1

Belter of a model.  I cannot understand why this is one of the very few Alistair Maclean novels that has not been filmed as it is one of his best books.  However, looking at how Auntie (Beeb) has embraced CGI recently there may still be hope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2019 at 5:58 AM, ArnoldAmbrose said:

. As you can see, my scratch-built parts are nowhere near the quality of PE parts ...

But much more 3-dimensional.

Lovely model: have been watching with interest and enjoyment.  Thank you for sharing.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...