Bf 109 STGB Chat

Col.

6 minutes ago, Col. said:

That does sound like a great selection @Marklo :speak_cool:

I think I’ll definitely cap it at 9 though. I just hadn’t realised there were so many interesting non Nazi colour schemes.

Which does make sense as it was the third most produced airframe in history and at various times the Third Reich desperately needed hard currency. I’m sure if I dug deeper there should be many interesting post war and captured schemes. 

Plus as it used to be one of my mainstays in my first modelling era I like the idea of knocking out a few.  From May on my bench is going to look like a Bavarian assembly line :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 1

Looking forward to this one. I haven't actually built a 109 for some time now what with my wandering off into interwar yellow wings and all things silver of late. I might need to have a practice on one just to make sure I still remember which way the wings go on!

Duncan B

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

I think I’ll definitely cap it at 9 though. I just hadn’t realised there were so many interesting non Nazi colour schemes.

Which does make sense as it was the third most produced airframe in history and at various times the Third Reich desperately needed hard currency. I’m sure if I dug deeper there should be many interesting post war and captured schemes. 

Plus as it used to be one of my mainstays in my first modelling era I like the idea of knocking out a few.  From May on my bench is going to look like a Bavarian assembly line :) 

By the end of this GB you may have more 109s than some air forces that used them :lol:

1 hour ago, Duncan B said:

Looking forward to this one. I haven't actually built a 109 for some time now what with my wandering off into interwar yellow wings and all things silver of late. I might need to have a practice on one just to make sure I still remember which way the wings go on!

Duncan B

I'm quite sure you'll have no trouble producing at least one more stunning model during this event Duncan but a practice one never goes amiss ;) 

When does the new Special Hobby kit come into stock?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

@Marklo that Spanish Sharkmouth is actually a Finnish Hainkita. V-P

My bad, but it does look cool. Have successfully acquired two Airfix emails. Just the G6 s and I’m ready to go ( well except the gb doesn’t start till may)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

My bad, but it does look cool. Have successfully acquired two Airfix emails. Just the G6 s and I’m ready to go ( well except the gb doesn’t start till may)

Sure you've plenty other projects to distract you in the meantime ;) 

2 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Is it too late to sign up for this?  I’ve got a few kits that would be ideal. 

Not at all. In fact you've plenty time and are most welcome. I'll add your name to the list :D 

5 minutes ago, Col. said:

Not at all. In fact you've plenty time and are most welcome. I'll add your name to the list :D 

Thanks very much - I shall look forward to that.  Now, which one to build?  In 1/48 it could be the shonky Eduard E3, or perhaps the ICM F4, or maybe even the Zvezda G6, which are all sat in the stash looking for business.  Then again, I could do one of my three Airfix Emils (two E3's and an E4)....

But then again, I'm bound to acquire a few more between now and May, aren't I?  For example, there's that nice-looking Special Hobby Emil in 1/72.

Hmm, there may only be one solution - build several.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Thanks very much - I shall look forward to that.  Now, which one to build?  In 1/48 it could be the shonky Eduard E3, or perhaps the ICM F4, or maybe even the Zvezda G6, which are all sat in the stash looking for business.  Then again, I could do one of my three Airfix Emils (two E3's and an E4)....

But then again, I'm bound to acquire a few more between now and May, aren't I?  For example, there's that nice-looking Special Hobby Emil in 1/72.

Hmm, there may only be one solution - build several.

As we say around these parts, W.W.E.M.D (What Would Enzo Matrix Do), to which the answer always is... build 'em all! ;) 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Yeah, but I'm only going to have three months!

Fire one up in the Interceptors GB as a practice run ;) 

• Haha 1

On 11/18/2020 at 6:12 PM, Duncan B said:

Looking forward to this one.

Ditto.

For me, it's a little bit like Spitfires, you can never have too many.

As mentioned in my previous posts, I am doing a couple of Bulgarian subjects - Arrows (Strela) the local name for the 109. They will go nicely with my Stukas that I built earlier this year.

Denes Bernad's excellent MMP Books on Bulgarian fighter colors arrived yesterday. A good complement to Dimitar Nedialkov's book on Bulgarian Air Power.

bf109_2021GB_001

Plenty of good subjects to choose from. First will be a yellow striped E-4. I will order the Kora Decals sheets that cover the series and choose one. Possibly White 4 ....

bf109_2021GB_003

Second will be a G-6. I expect I'll select a subject with different code letters to the Kora sheet. As usual, I order the aftermarket decal sheets and only use a couple of things off them. Again, plenty of options ....

bf109_2021GB_002

Funny thing is that tomorrow I have a meeting in Karlovo, so I am actually very close to where these fighters were based.

Ray

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I am doing a couple of Bulgarian subjects

You've got me thinking now.  I like JG25 and JG26 but we've all seen a million models of their aircraft, know all of the stories etc.  I'll try to find something interesting and see what can be done with it.  The scheme of your White 4 looks very nice, by the way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jackroadkill said:

You've got me thinking now.  I like JG25 and JG26 but we've all seen a million models of their aircraft, know all of the stories etc.  I'll try to find something interesting and see what can be done with it.  The scheme of your White 4 looks very nice, by the way.

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

JG25?  (Typos happen to us all.)

However, if you are looking for interesting Bf109s then have a look at JG5.

Umm, yeah, about that....  Would it make any difference if I said it's been a long week?!

Obviously I meant 52 and 54.  Honest.

10 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I had assumed JG26 and JG27 - but I can see how 52 became 25.  Some nice schemes for JG27, too.  Most units, if you look around a bit.

I had a quick look for some interesting schemes last night, which turned into quite a long look in the end.  I found some really interesting schemes, too, so they'll inform my choices of which variant(s) I decide to build.  I'm tempted to go for pre-BOB, mid-war Russian Front, North African, Wilde Sau or Defence of the Reich, each of which offer plenty of options.  I did find one scheme that I really liked but could only find decals for it in 1/72, 1/48 being my preference.

• Like 1

Been sorting out the stash lately....

spacer.png

14 left among the boxings. I've earmarked the average quality Armory A/B boxing for a Spanish Civil War scene, the three excellent Sweet tropical models for a North African airfield.

So 10 F-2/F-4s available which might last me until the STGB starts. The Sweet kit has loads of lovely, hideously complex schemes.

Still waiting on the C and D boxings from AMG to appear on Hannants but reviews are positive. The Armory Emil is poorly reviewed but hopefully a new one might be coming from Beacon Models on Kickstarter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackroadkill said:

I've got myself a 1/48 and a 1/72 example for this.  I just hope I can resist the temptation to build them before the GB kicks off.

Plenty time for adding more to the stash ;) 

1 hour ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Been sorting out the stash lately....

spacer.png

14 left among the boxings. I've earmarked the average quality Armory A/B boxing for a Spanish Civil War scene, the three excellent Sweet tropical models for a North African airfield.

So 10 F-2/F-4s available which might last me until the STGB starts. The Sweet kit has loads of lovely, hideously complex schemes.

Still waiting on the C and D boxings from AMG to appear on Hannants but reviews are positive. The Armory Emil is poorly reviewed but hopefully a new one might be coming from Beacon Models on Kickstarter.

Nice selection :D The A/B, as indeed the C/D, models have always caught my eye due to their different and uncommon lines so hopefully the AMG kits will become widely available soon.

• Like 2