Bf 109 STGB Chat

Col.

On 4/12/2021 at 5:51 AM, Col. said:

Tidy work Wayne. Seems you're one a 109 theme at the moment.

Thanks. I am always on a 109 theme of sorts.

About half of my completed builds are 109's, and probably a quarter of my stash.

So many great schemes.

On 4/12/2021 at 5:59 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sorry to hear of the loss of mojo but it turned out a looker in the end. 

It is my first completion in about two years.

I have a few builds that stalled about 50% in, and couldn't get inspired to finish any.

With some renewed vigour, i am looking forward to the Group Build.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wayne 0 said:

Thanks. I am always on a 109 theme of sorts.

About half of my completed builds are 109's, and probably a quarter of my stash.

So many great schemes.

It is my first completion in about two years.

I have a few builds that stalled about 50% in, and couldn't get inspired to finish any.

With some renewed vigour, i am looking forward to the Group Build.

In the current Africa GB we've set up an Inspiration Gallery so that as well as previously completed subjects it gives anyone working on a kit over the 25% mark a platform to display the finished article. It seems to be well received and working well so thinking to do the same for the 109 STGB if it helps you finish any stalled projects :) 

15 hours ago, planecrazee said:

Hey @Col.

Please can you count me in for this GB. I have a 1/48 Bf109 E-1 in the stash that world be a perfect candidate. 

Many thanks

Kris

Of course Kris, with pleasure, which manufacturer is your E-1 by?

• Like 1

Thanks Col - looking forward to it. The kit in question is the Eduard Weekend edition which I'm going to 'pimp up' with the eduard PE set. There's a sheme from an aircraft in Poland in 1939 that I really like the look of so will probably go for that :D

Kris

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 5:33 PM, planecrazee said:

Thanks Col - looking forward to it. The kit in question is the Eduard Weekend edition which I'm going to 'pimp up' with the eduard PE set. There's a sheme from an aircraft in Poland in 1939 that I really like the look of so will probably go for that :D

Kris

Ooh that does sound good B) 

On 4/16/2021 at 7:08 PM, fmichelsen said:

Im so ready for building a 109 😄 Count me in with a Eduard bf 109 g6 in 1/48.

You are duly counted and there is now 60 of us :D 

1 hour ago, Touvdal said:

I am ready for this several 1/72 ready to go. 😀

Cheers

Jes

I've just realised we've only 16 days to go before this starts :bounce:

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Col. said:

we've only 16 days to go before this starts :bounce:

Better concentrate in thinning my WIP :)I should have 11 1/72 109s  planned ( I must be nuts) two of which are going to be conversions. But I reckon building several of the same kit ( which I don’t think I’ve done before) should be easier than building different kits. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

There's a good chance!

Let’s face it we’re probably well past they point :) still; looking forward to my mega multiple Messerschmitt build ( couldn’t think of a synonym for build that begins with m :) )

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Marklo said:

Let’s face it we’re probably well past they point :) still; looking forward to my mega multiple Messerschmitt build ( couldn’t think of a synonym for build that begins with m :) )

Manufacture?

• Thanks 1

After fiddling around in the jet age for a while, I will return to WW2 with an Eduard BF-109E.  Looking forward to it, although I am already mentally bracing myself for the prospect of spraying mottling on a perfectly good splinter scheme.  

RM

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

spacer.png

With the runours of AMGs demise I gave up waiting for their early 109s to appear at Hannants and ordered a handful from the Ukraine. Although apparently delivery can be several months so they might not make it for this GB!

I'll probably start with this duo for which I also have the Brengun etch set to play with

spacer.png

• Like 1

Hi @Col.

Please put me down for a couple of 109s as well.  I have the Eduard 1/48 Bf109E Adlerangriff dual combo in the stash begging to be built.

Looking forward to it!

Matt

• Like 3

Having built 3 x Airfix Emils in the BoB GB last year, this is all I have managed to find so far.

DSC05125

I have another 3 lurking somewhere in one section of my stash or another - perhaps in the roof -  another Italeri Friedrich, Hobby Boss Gustav Trop, and an Airfix Kurfurst, or F, G and K if you prefer. Just how many I actually build remains to be seen as I am currently participating in 3 GB already, though one should be finished by the end of the month but there are others on the horizon. Other than the usual work on cockpits and wheel wells if required, they should be OOB so reasonably quick until I get to the painting! I doubt any of them are particularly accurate and the decs could be fun as most of them are at least 20 years old. At least it is a well documented subject so I should have plenty of choice in terms of colour schemes - the Osprey Aces books will no doubt be in use, as will the numerous aftermarket decal sheets in my stock. In the last 60+ years I have built at least 12 109 of which 6, maybe 7 survive - the Heller K is in bits I believe but could be rebuilt. The original Airfix"Me 109" whatever it was meant to be, is long gone as is one of the Revell Emils and one Airfix old moulding G-6 together with 2 later Airfix Emils. Given that I have around 20 Spitfires/Seafires left out of about 25 builds it is perhaps time I added to my stable of 109's to balance things out.

I will see if I can track down the other 3 before the GB starts.

Bye for now.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

On 5/15/2021 at 6:22 AM, Tim R-T-C said:

spacer.png

With the runours of AMGs demise I gave up waiting for their early 109s to appear at Hannants and ordered a handful from the Ukraine. Although apparently delivery can be several months so they might not make it for this GB!

I'll probably start with this duo for which I also have the Brengun etch set to play with

spacer.png

For a moment the price of those AMG kits caught me by surprise until I realised you were buying them in multiples. Good man :thumbsup:

On 5/15/2021 at 9:23 AM, airfixpeter said:

I am going to be a bit bold and enter my gpm 1/33 card 109 I am just awaiting my canopy and resin wheels. spacer.png

Now here's something different. This will attract some interest I'm sure.

On 5/16/2021 at 4:58 AM, MattG said:

Hi @Col.

Please put me down for a couple of 109s as well.  I have the Eduard 1/48 Bf109E Adlerangriff dual combo in the stash begging to be built.

Looking forward to it!

Matt

With pleasure Matt :) 

8 hours ago, PeterB said:

Having built 3 x Airfix Emils in the BoB GB last year, this is all I have managed to find so far.

DSC05125

I have another 3 lurking somewhere in one section of my stash or another - perhaps in the roof -  another Italeri Friedrich, Hobby Boss Gustav Trop, and an Airfix Kurfurst, or F, G and K if you prefer. Just how many I actually build remains to be seen as I am currently participating in 3 GB already, though one should be finished by the end of the month but there are others on the horizon. Other than the usual work on cockpits and wheel wells if required, they should be OOB so reasonably quick until I get to the painting! I doubt any of them are particularly accurate and the decs could be fun as most of them are at least 20 years old. At least it is a well documented subject so I should have plenty of choice in terms of colour schemes - the Osprey Aces books will no doubt be in use, as will the numerous aftermarket decal sheets in my stock. In the last 60+ years I have built at least 12 109 of which 6, maybe 7 survive - the Heller K is in bits I believe but could be rebuilt. The original Airfix"Me 109" whatever it was meant to be, is long gone as is one of the Revell Emils and one Airfix old moulding G-6 together with 2 later Airfix Emils. Given that I have around 20 Spitfires/Seafires left out of about 25 builds it is perhaps time I added to my stable of 109's to balance things out.

I will see if I can track down the other 3 before the GB starts.

Bye for now.

Pete

Only five so far Pete? You must try harder! :lol: Seriously though, that's an interesting selection you have there, hopefully the decals are alright in the older boxes.

• Like 2

Managed to find 2 more!

DSC05127

That just leaves Airfix's K which may or may not turn up and might not be worth the bother anyway! It was released back in 1989 in their "Aircraft of the Aces" series as one flown by Erich Hartmann complete with red/white petals around the nose but I seem to remember reading recently that it might never have carried those markings. Also, it is likely to be a slightly modified version of their 1965 G-6 and I am not sure just what if anything they changed as there seem to have been quite a few differences between that and the K-4 - bigger tail, no cannon bulges, Erma frameless canopy, modified and repositioned aerials etc. I have always assumed that the Aifix G I have already shown you was a slightly re-tooled version of that earlier G-6 as it has a bit of detail on the cockpit sidewalls and engraved panel lines, but in fact Scalemates say it was a "new tool" in 2009. In that case it is strange that it just has a pilot and seat - no stick, IP or floor. The E-7 Trop was a new tool in 2012 with extra bits added for this version in 2013 and has a full cockpit, boxed in wheel bays and seperate flaps so that should be OOB, as probably will be the Italeri F's which date back to 1995. The Hobby Boss G/Trop is from 2006 and the real oldie is the Hasgawa G which was first released in 1976 but mine is a 1980 rebox, so the decs are around 40 years old! All of these seem to have decent cockpits and wheel wells so it should just be the Airfix G's that need much work. As for decs I have a lot in my stock though many of those are pretty old. They have however been stored in the dark at around 15oC or slightly lower  so could be OK. Some of the kit ones on the other hand will need to spend time in a window as they are decidedly yellow.

I will keep looking for the K but won't shed any tears if I don't find it. I will build at least one of each version/make so that is a minimum of 5. They will be in a mix of Europe, Russia and Desert schemes I imagine.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have eleven to go. I’ve given up on my two AVIAs at this stage as the seller has not only stopped replying to emails but had been deleted from eBay :( still eleven will do and of course makes total sense, I mean where do you go to from ten ?

I am participating in several other GBs but there having finished my Skyhawk, there is a good chance I’ll finish my GeeBee, Flivver, mini jets and Alcock before the end of the month just leaving an Albatros and the Oertz; piece of cake :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

The most next to useless thing to do in life is to superdetail, or even just detail, an 1:72 109 Gustav cockpit, especially if it has the non-Erla canopy and it´s to be displayed closed. There´s absolutely nothing that will be seen when it´s all buttoned up. :hmmm:Except the yellow fuel line. :hmmm:Except the seat belts. :hmmm:Except the gun sight. :hmmm:Except some oxygen system components. :hmmm:Except.... well maybe there is something that can be seen, after all :whistle:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Well, as my late father in law was fond of saying - "that which was lost is now found".

DSC05129

Seems I was wrong on two counts - the tulip petals were black not red and Airfix did re-tool it - no cannon breech bulges, Erla canopy, modified tail (though perhaps not quite right), retractable tail wheel (though they cheated with that) and the various antennae. I will need to check my various references and I doubt it is totally accurate but certainly better than I expected, so I am probably on for 6 builds and possibly 8!

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2

Airfix didn't retool it: this is the second Heller attempt at a K.  It lacks the slight asymmetry of the refined cowling (it only needs to bulge out so much on the port side, where the supercharger inlet is) and the prop goes the wrong way round.  To my knowledge Airfix didn't touch the tooling.

• Like 1

Hasegawa boxed a 1/48 “K” with red tulip petals at one point, I still have the decal sheet somewhere. I would cut the tulip petal decals and use them to make masks, tape has a better chance of conforming to the curves than the decals. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1