Bf 109 STGB Chat

Col.

Ok bought another E this is earmarked for a conversion but I won’t say what till the GB starts. So I now have 7 in the stash three Revell G-10s three Airfix Es ( the maddening thing about this kit is that it says it’s an E3 but had the later hood and I’m going to need the early hood on at least two of them)  and a Heller K4. Two KP Avis S199s in the post and an urge to buy three G-6s . So seven definite, two more probables and three more hopefuls. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

So seven definite, two more probables and three more hopefuls. 

Wow, that's a very high bar!  I'm going to enter one (to ensure I'm at least involved!) and then do as many as I can turn out between the dates.

• Like 3

I just suddenly remembered I got a 1/32 G from my mother in law last year....may as well add that to my entries with the Eduard 109 remaining from the Afrika box (Other over on the freshly started Africa GB) and maybe a wee 1/72 in a big brother little brother style.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I just suddenly remembered I got a 1/32 G from my mother in law last year....may as well add that to my entries with the Eduard 109 remaining from the Afrika box (Other over on the freshly started Africa GB) and maybe a wee 1/72 in a big brother little brother style.

A three scale project sounds cool :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Okay 109 fans and experts, a question.

I just ordered a resin open cowling and engine which is listed as being for a Bf109 G 1-6, but I don't have that particular model. I do have several F4s and G10s. From my understanding, the engine and cowlings should be nearly identical to the F-4 but the G10 would be different?

Does this sound right?

Many thanks.

Edited by Tim R-T-C

10 hours ago, Col. said:

@Marklo and @jackroadkill it sounds as if you boys are going to be keeping this GB interesting on your own far less with the rest of us involved :lol:

I can't speak for @Marklo but in my case I wouldn't get your hopes up!  My progress makes glaciers look rather racy at the moment.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

From my understanding, the engine and cowlings should be nearly identical to the F-4 but the G10 would be different?

The G10 adopted the DB605D and had a very different shape to the previous G models. 

Afaik the F used the DB601 and the Early G series used the DB605. In addition there are fuselage and canopy differences between the two models but they’re not as obvious as say between the E and the F.

56 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

I can't speak for @Marklo

I suppose I can. My plan is to basically clear all non Me109 projects to the wip shelf as soon as the GB starts and then to try to batch my many builds for efficiency. I’m planning two conventions which I’ll probably do first then jump into the other 7 (10?) it’ll be fun.  

My biggest issue ( apart from mixing up all the builds) is that I need two early canopies and none of the kits I have have them so I’ll have to go molding and wheels I’ll need thick and thin for the various marks and I may also have to go casting for these.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Marklo said:

The G10 adopted the DB605D and had a very different shape to the previous G models. 

Afaik the F used the DB601 and the Early G series used the DB605. In addition there are fuselage and canopy differences between the two models but they’re not as obvious as say between the E and the F.

Thanks. I'm planning to shoehorn the engines into the F-4 kits. Since the resin part replaces the entire nose of the model it sounds like it probably won't suit the G10 models.

Spent some time going through me 109 references and noted the other big change on the G was the canopy which is smaller than on the previous models and double glazed to allow for pressurisation of the cabin and doesn’t have the lower triangular pane to the front . Its only obvious if you compare the two models side by side.

• Like 2

I’ve been extremely naughty and ordered a set of Hataka late war Luftwaffe colours as at least two of the builds need RLM 81/82 and I could do with a decent RLM 76 and 74. So just need the postman to find my AVIAs and order some G6s and I’m all set ;) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

I’ve been extremely naughty and ordered a set of Hataka late war Luftwaffe colours as at least two of the builds need RLM 81/82 and I could do with a decent RLM 76 and 74. So just need the postman to find my AVIAs and order some G6s and I’m s add lol set ;) 

Good set I have the orange line version of this set. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Good set I have the orange line version of this set. 

That’s a relief. I realised after I’d ordered them that blue is optimised for brushing and orange for airbrush ( I ordered the orange which is thankfully the right one for me)

• Like 1

This sounds interesting. I have an Academy 1/48 G-14 and would like to give a tall tail Hungarian plane

a try if there is such a thing. I need to do something other than German, every 109 I have ever done was Luftwaffe.

Guess I should start Googling around!---John

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Johnv said:

This sounds interesting. I have an Academy 1/48 G-14 and would like to give a tall tail Hungarian plane

a try if there is such a thing. I need to do something other than German, every 109 I have ever done was Luftwaffe.

Guess I should start Googling around!---John

For anything Hungarian there's the S.B.S Models or is it Decals. It looks like they don't cater for a tall tail G-6/14, though :hmmm:

https://sbsmodel.com/models/87/sbs-model/sbs-aircraft-decal/1-48-scale-page-2

Excellent reason for you to go for a Finnish 109 then! V-P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks, my other option would be to leave the fuselage as is and use the short tail. I like the idea of

something other than swastikas, change of pace.---John

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Johnv said:

Thanks, my other option would be to leave the fuselage as is and use the short tail. I like the idea of

something other than swastikas, change of pace.---John

If you have a low tail option in your kit those Hungarian Hungarian decals should be fine 🙂

Yes, the Academy kit comes with the fuselage molded with the "short tail" and they have an option where you

can cut that off and add a tall tail if you desire. The kit also has the short and long tail wheel and both the large

and small wheel well bumps for the upper wing.---John

I don’t think the Hungarian airforce flew the tail G’s they did have G6s however you could go for Croatian or Yugoslavian as both flew them. I’m planning on at least one of each for the GB.

Edited by Marklo

I just bought these decals, look like short tail G-14s to me. Doesn't really matter as there wasn't much difference

between the G-6 and G-14 anyways. My kit has parts for both.---John

MJaBvQL.jpg

• Like 1

According to my references the G14 had the tall tail and Earla hood it also had a small generator scoop and a bulge for the larger oil cooler ( both in common with the G5/G6 trop versions) but the same breech block bulges as the G6; early G14s had the short tail and late G14s had the wider wheels and (I assume) larger K style wing bulges to accommodate them. Simple eh.

I think the watchword here is consult your references as plenty of mongrel G series airframes got built.

Edited by Marklo

13 minutes ago, Marklo said:

According to my references the G14 had the tall tail and Earla hood it also had a small generator scoop and a bulge for the larger oil cooler ( both in common with the G5/G6 trop versions) but the same breech block bulges as the G6; early G14s had the short tail and late G14s had the wider wheels and (I assume) larger K style wing bulges to accommodate them. Simple eh.

I think the watchword here is consult your references as plenty of mongrel G series airframes got built.

I have no references and do not count rivets. I will go by decal references, It is what it is.---John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1