Bf 109 STGB Chat

Col.

Hi, would I be too late in joining the party?

Haven't touched a kit in a least 2mths, can't remember the last time I had a crack at anything with wings, and need something to get the old the mojo going.

Can't promise anything quality wise, I'll just be happy to get something finished!

Thanks Darryl 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jasper dog said:

Hi, would I be too late in joining the party?

Haven't touched a kit in a least 2mths, can't remember the last time I had a crack at anything with wings, and need something to get the old the mojo going.

Can't promise anything quality wise, I'll just be happy to get something finished!

Thanks Darryl 

In you come and join the fun Darryl :)

• Like 1

Just now, Col. said:

In you come and join the fun Darryl :)

Brilliant, I'll have a rummage around the loft see what I've got in the deep stash!

Thanks, appreciated!

• Like 2

I think I may have been bitten by the 109 bug…. 

I’m approaching the end of my 109G-4 and thought it would look outnumbered alongside a flight of Spitfires and I’d better complete a second so there’s a Rotte for some mutual support! Now just need to choose (and consider if there’s room for a Schwarm!)

D6C3B25E-4574-47E6-B068-F9B606ECE7C6

069A9266-839C-49A1-94D1-53AEACF808E7

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Steve 1602 said:

I’m approaching the end of my 109G-4 and thought it would look outnumbered alongside a flight of Spitfires and I’d better complete a second so there’s a Rotte for some mutual support! Now just need to choose (and consider if there’s room for a Schwarm!)

Good man, that's the spirit :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Steve 1602 said:

Wow....

What fantastic box art !!

Are prints available for that ?

12 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Are prints available for that ?

Eduard site. Catalogue no. 84173-ART

A2 size poster.

Edition EduArt
Size: A2 (594 x 420 mm)
Material: Roll Up Vinyl, 160g/m2
Packing: hard envelope

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since I promised to make a desert 109 and I have bought the paints, I have had a rummage in the stash and dusted off this oldie, with a price sticker of £9.99 from 1991 I present my next build with a couple of bits of AM that I have for it, an Aires resin and p/e cockpit set and a set of hollow resin exhausts by Quickboost.  The decals for this are shot but I have plenty to choose from, it will be from JG 27 camouflaged in RLM 78 + 79 as provided by the Kagero book Bf 109s over the Mediterranean Part 1.

IMG_1639

This will be a slow start as I want to get both of my 109 G-6s close to being finished before I get too distracted by this, but a start will be made soon. :idea:

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I have had a rummage in the stash and dusted off this oldie, with a price sticker of £9.99 from 1991

My example has a sticker from Hannants for £10.99, you'd got a bargain!

Have you seen how much the retail is on them now!😳

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

My example has a sticker from Hannants for £10.99, you'd got a bargain!

My model club discount brought it down to £8.99.  When I got out to Germany my BFPO address got me tax free Hasegawa Bf 109s for less than £8.00 from big H. (that's why I have a big stack of them)

17 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Have you seen how much the retail is on them now!😳

Err... more than £8.00. :shrug:

3 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Err... more than £8.00. :shrug:

Hannants is offering the Star of Africa boxing for a snip at £49.99....

Makes Eduard look an absolute bargain!

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Hannants is offering the Star of Africa boxing for a snip at £49.99....

Must have been a bargain, they've sold them all. :wicked:

43 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Makes Eduard look an absolute bargain!

Must buy some.....Oh, I have. :nod:

• Haha 2

My entry to the group build. My last two kits have been old models that I have been trying to make silk purses out of sow's ears. It will be nice to work on a model, that by what I have read, goes together nicely and has aftermarket parts available. And I have ordered a box full of detail parts for it. As slow as I build, I probably won't finish by the time limit, but, I will have a go.

y4mFFQrGKLMDERrl0MFjIDkRjICZNb6HHsYKoBC6

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

What about what-ifs. I came across an interesting paper project in a book I was reading last week on German supersonic research. Apparently In 1943 the RLM asked Messerschmitt if a single jet engined me 109 was feasible, some discussion must have taken place but Messerschmitt chose not to pursue it favouring the P1101 instead. Focke Wulf pursued the idea as the Project I but it was eventually canned as the Technisce Amt didn’t think the concept was practical, ironically the Soviets used it in the Yak 15.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Marklo said:

What about what-ifs. I came across an interesting paper project in a book I was reading last week on German supersonic research. Apparently In 1943 the RLM asked Messerschmitt if a single jet engined me 109 was feasible, some discussion must have taken place but Messerschmitt chose not to pursue it favouring the P1101 instead. Focke Wulf pursued the idea as the Project I but it was eventually canned as the Technisce Amt didn’t think the concept was practical, ironically the Soviets used it in the Yak 15.

Pure figment of the imaginations are a no but existing 'paper projects' that were proposed are good :) 

Lookie what arrived in the post yesterday....

51301331574_e91a09a03c_c_d.jpg

I will be using one of the kits for a Swiss E3...

51300620271_986d937567_c_d.jpg

When I start I will try to be as detailed as possible and give this kit a good shakedown.  A quick look at the sprue tells me that what Eduard did with the Spitfire, they have done with the 109...get ready for more to come folks!  I'll start a thread next week.

--John

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Col. said:

Pure figment of the imaginations are a no but existing 'paper projects' that were proposed are good :) 

Sounds good to me; the proposed 1943 TL Jaeger ( not to be confused with the proposed 109 TL) would have had an early G series fuselage with  centrally punted Juno 004, me 209 wings and a new wing section to bring all the bits together. Now all I need to do is get hold of another two me109  kits, why two, because I have 12 to build and the TL Jaeger puts me at thirteen and I couldn’t build thirteen :) 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, John Masters said:

Lookie what arrived in the post yesterday....

51301331574_e91a09a03c_c_d.jpg

I will be using one of the kits for a Swiss E3...

51300620271_986d937567_c_d.jpg

When I start I will try to be as detailed as possible and give this kit a good shakedown.  A quick look at the sprue tells me that what Eduard did with the Spitfire, they have done with the 109...get ready for more to come folks!  I'll start a thread next week.

--John

There will be plenty of us watching this one with particular interest I'm sure John :speak_cool: Any plans for the second one yet?

9 hours ago, Marklo said:

Sounds good to me; the proposed 1943 TL Jaeger ( not to be confused with the proposed 109 TL) would have had an early G series fuselage with  centrally punted Juno 004, me 209 wings and a new wing section to bring all the bits together. Now all I need to do is get hold of another two me109  kits, why two, because I have 12 to build and the TL Jaeger puts me at thirteen and I couldn’t build thirteen :) 

Was sure I'd seen a kit of that subject and after a quick search found Unicraft do one. So you're likely better off scratch-building the modifications required! As for not wanting to have an unlucky number of subjects on the go; any excuse is a good one ;) 

7 hours ago, Col. said:

Was sure I'd seen a kit of that subject and after a quick search found Unicraft do one

I honk any 109 variant you can think of has been kitted at this stage but, I’m on a strict budget plus I enjoy conversions, so as I should get to my local hobby shop next week I’ll pick up a cheap G model ( or two :) ) and hack away.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I put photos of a BF-109 g10, at the US Air Force museum in Dayton Ohio, in the reference section if it will help anyone.  I took these in 2019.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 4 weeks later...

I’ll probably scrape the end of the GB for most of my 109s but what with some family crises and major DIY projects I’m feeling a bit under time pressure, so I thought I might ask ( plead :) ) for a modest extension past august 29th, a week would help a lot.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

I’ll probably scrape the end of the GB for most of my 109s but what with some family crises and major DIY projects I’m feeling a bit under time pressure, so I thought I might ask ( plead :) ) for a modest extension past august 29th, a week would help a lot.

You n me both. Im gonna try to finish but the two month delay hurt real bad. 

• Like 2

@Marklo, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, I'll ask our glorious leader @Enzo Matrix for an extra week or two if it will help you lads finish off those projects :) 

13 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

I can't believe that I only managed a paltry one build for this STGB....  Still, you lot have done some excellent work on yours.

That gives you one more than I've done ;) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1