Bf 109 STGB Chat

Col.

I was very tempted by this GB as I haven’t built ( or at least finished ) a ‘109 for several years, but have resisted as I intend to enter the ‘ French Fancy ‘ GB next month. I don’t stand much chance of finishing one GB let alone two running concurrently.

John

• Like 1

I found this in the stash tonight, it's from 1967, so a bit too modern for me !

IMG_5906

Has anyone built one, or should I let a collector cherish it ?

Its only got about 10 parts and no undercarriage at all, so it's wheels up on the stand.

Cheers Pat

• Like 5

Hawk, rings a bell, without googling it - a US brand? Sure I made one once, probably around 1967, bought from the model shop (forgot the name - rats!) on the Chiswick High Road.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

IMG_5906

Its only got about 10 parts and no undercarriage at all, so it's wheels up on the stand.

Cheers Pat

Might be a collectable Pat, Hawk went belly up in the 70’s. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

IMG_5906

Cheers Pat

It could be worth a fortune for all I know Pat but it's a model kit and was made to be built ;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bbdave said:

I would like to join in but I can't find the decal option I'd like to build which is this aircraft

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109E/JG27-III.html

either 1/72 or1/48 any help greatly appreciated.

Dave

Does this sheet have what you want Dave?

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/KW148186?result-token=3b1lH

21 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

IMG_5906

Cheers Pat

Pat, if you prefer to let a collector cherish it, I'll send you a Hasegawa G-6 with a set of proper markings... if you promise me to finnish it without skis :rofl2:

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

This is the oldest Bf 109 I have in the stash, and the first 1/48th scale model I ever built.  From 1975 the Otaki Bf 109G, re-released in 1980 as Arii when I bought a couple more and didn't build.

IMG_1624

But I'm going to build it now.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

This is the oldest Bf 109 I have in the stash, and the first 1/48th scale model I ever built.  From 1975 the Otaki Bf 109G, re-released in 1980 as Arii when I bought a couple more and didn't build.

IMG_1624

But I'm going to build it now.

I do like the older Arii/Otaki kkts, suche finely scribed lines on them considering it was the 70’s. Their major downfall is the lack of a modern decent interior. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I do like the older Arii/Otaki kkts, suche finely scribed lines on them considering it was the 70’s. Their major downfall is the lack of a modern decent interior. 

I agree, it was over 10 years before some other manufactures started producing kits with engraved panel lines and some recent kits would be better if their panel lines and fabric control surfaces were as refined as Otaki made them in 1975.  The interiors were very basic, but so were a lot of other manufacturers in those days, you were lucky to get a seat for the pilot and a i/p. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Col @Col. I have favor to ask.  As the Otaki Bf 109G is under a fiver I thought I would also enter it into the "Under a tenner GB"  Enzo @Enzo Matrix and Stix @PlaStix are happy for a dual GB entrant as long as you are also happy with this arrangement.  The photos will be the same but the chit-chat that goes with it will be slightly different to stop repetition.

Do I have your blessing?

Bob.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Col @Col. I have favor to ask.  As the Otaki Bf 109G is under a fiver I thought I would also enter it into the "Under a tenner GB"  Enzo @Enzo Matrix and Stix @PlaStix are happy for a dual GB entrant as long as you are also happy with this arrangement.  The photos will be the same but the chit-chat that goes with it will be slightly different to stop repetition.

Do I have your blessing?

Bob.

Of course Bob, by all means yes, please do :) 

• Thanks 1

Hi Guys, a quick question for you.

I wondered if anyone has tried the revel 1/32 G6 upgrade kit from Eduard.

It's the Big sin set as I want my Eduard model to have open engine cowlings, and the set provides what looks like a nice two part cowling and the support frame.

Cheers in advance

Paul 

Question: I have a set of four "Emils" that I want to build all at the same time as a project. Would it be OK to have a single build thread, as I want to compare various aspects of the kits as I build them?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, klr said:

Question: I have a set of four "Emils" that I want to build all at the same time as a project. Would it be OK to have a single build thread, as I want to compare various aspects of the kits as I build them?

I would say yes, I’m sure @Col. would agree as there are a couple of multi-build threads already running. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I would say yes, I’m sure @Col. would agree as there are a couple of multi-build threads already running. 

Thanks, I'll wait for Cols' confirmation before proceeding. It would save me some time to keep everything in the one build thread.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, klr said:

A single thread for all four is indeed fine :) Sounds an interesting project.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Col. said:

A single thread for all four is indeed fine :) Sounds an interesting project.

Thanks, it'll be Airfix, Heller, Academy and ICM. I'll start the thread in a few days, once I've gotten some other things out of the way.

• Like 1