Bf 109 STGB Chat

Col.

2021-04-06_11-04-20

These boxes contain five Hasegawa kits. Somewhat inaccurate shapewise, as the cowling (actually whole fuselage!) is quite undernourished. Still I recognize them as Bf 109:s... I've built two of them, and what they lack in finesse and accuracy compared to, say similarly or higher priced AZmodel Gustavs (that I have built 7) they make up in sturdiness versus flimsiness. Like I said earlier, no Hartmanns for me (I bought them for plastics only) but if I don't care to Finnish them all, I have some decals for Mediterranean Gustavs :hmmm:

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Maybe I'm a bit more normal than I thought I was.

Seriously in these times, who knows what normal is :) 

This is probably my subconscious trying to recreate my former 109 collection ( ignominiously dumped by my elder brother I might add, some years ago) , only in one go. I’m sure it’ll represent  some form of deep seated closure :) ( and no I’m not American)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

So can I throw out a question to the me109 experts out there. I know that during 1940 JG53 were ordered to replace the ‘Pik As’ emblem with a red band and as a protest III/JG53 overpainted their (ahem) tail markings.  They were then allowed to reinstate the unit badge but not all of them restored their tail markings. Some because they were about to be upgraded to 109 Fs so it wasn’t worth their while.

So it’s possible to have planes from that unit with either a red stripe or a unit badge and with or without tail markings. I’ve found two schemes that I think are authentic, Weiss 5 ( red stripe only) and Gelb 14 ( unit badge only), but there are many more on the interweb, although I suspect these have just had the tail markings omitted. There are also some lovely schemes with a three colour camo and the red stripe but they have tail markings.

8b74c447-5e93-42dc-be05-03650cb5ff59.jpefor example.

39ee2441-9ab6-4db6-aebc-9fa57c772b81.gifexperimental three colour scheme.

So if you’re still reading; my question  is this can anyone come up with any more bona fide schemes without tail markings and would the tricolour schemes with the red stripe have had their tail markings overpainted at some stage?

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

resized_bd76d903-6e45-470b-9d41-f57c305fMy G6s arrived. Thankfully both kits compare well to scale plans thankfully no raised panel lines ( unlike my Heller K4) and the Italeri ones come with Finnish and Swiss schemes.  I need an early G for one of my builds and it looks like the italeri will be easier to work with so me will probably get converted.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Marklo said:

resized_bd76d903-6e45-470b-9d41-f57c305fMy G6s arrived. Thankfully both kits compare well to scale plans thankfully no raised panel lines ( unlike my Heller K4) and the Italeri ones come with Finnish and Swiss schemes.  I need an early G for one of my builds and it looks like the italeri will be easier to work with so me will probably get converted.

Woohoo Chrimbo in April ! 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Great! I have also plans to convert a Hasegawa G-6 to a G-2... maybe we should crosscheck our plans :winkgrin:. What does the Finnish decal scheme look like?

5a0daf0b-34ef-48f7-98d5-2d5c83abf66b.jpeI’m going to say it’s this scheme only it may or may not have the shark mouth ( which I happen to have in a separate decal sheet, the box is well put away by this stage) so it does leave me with two spare sets of national markings, unit  badges and possibly sharkmouths.

If I were going to do an early G I’d go for the italeri over the Hasegawa as the panel lines that would be under the breech block budget are already there and the wing tyre bulges are separate. Otherwise you’ll have to fill and rescribe the cowling area and possibly sand off and rescribe the tyre bulges, not a huge amount of work but nightly all the same.

Also the Decal sheet on the italeri is much better with two Luftwaffe schemes as well as the Swiss and Finnish.

Edited by Marklo

4 minutes ago, Marklo said:

If I were going to do an early G I’d go for the italeri over the Hasegawa as the panel lines that would be under the breech block budget are already there and the wing tyre bulges are separate. Otherwise you’ll have to fill and rescribe the cowling area and possibly sand off and rescribe the tyre bulges, not a huge amount of work but nightly all the same.

The new (?) Hasegawas in my Combo-boxings come with panel lines under the breech bulges, and many of the Finnish G-2:s were rebuilt, damaged aircraft and had the tyre bulges because they had "new" wings but "old" wheels and tires. So I'm well off with them 🙂

That Sharkmouth MT-422 has already been on my build list, but not even started. It looks nice!

• Like 1

@vppelt68 pm me if you’d like one of the italeri decal sheets. 

Yes my hasegawa is ancient :) and yet again it goes to show you need to be very careful with later model 109s as they can have many different details. I do like that Eduardo scheme hmm might even switch to it for my Finnish 109(s?) hmmm

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/03/2021 at 19:09, jackroadkill said:

Oh dear.  Oh dear oh dear oh dear.  It seems to have happened again.

spacer.png

Fifteen quid from eBay.  It would have been rude not to, right?

Of course, I now have a total dilemma on my hands - which to do for the GB?  There's the Eduard G6 that I have all that lovely AM for, or the Special Hobby E4 that looks so nice, the Academy one that I was going to do originally, or maybe the Airfix E1.....  It's a good problem to have, of course, but which to do?  I mean, if I'm feeling masochistic there's even an ICM F4 in the stash.

Answers on a postcard.

@Enzo Matrix sort this bloke out please, your punchline is needed....

He used the OR word !

All together now.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

20 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I know this is showing no imagination, but can I join with one of these please ?

IMG_5752

Cheers Pat

Wouldn't the Howe family tradition require you to come up with two Zwillings :whistle:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

Wouldn't the Howe family tradition require you to come up with two Zwillings :whistle:

:rofl2:

Unfortunately Messerschmitt's Willy only produced one, as you rightly say other people's Willie's have been more successful  :blush: :wink:

Cheers Pat

PS Mrs Jockney and I have 2 sets of twins :offtopic:

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, airfixpeter said:

Can you put me down as I have a rather large eduard one hiding in the stash 

10 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I know this is showing no imagination, but can I join with one of these please ?

IMG_5752

Cheers Pat

10 hours ago, Fifer54 said:

Count me in with an Eduard F-2. Gonna be White 10 from the Weekend Edition boxing . . .

You are now all added to the list and this brings us to 57 potential participants :) Something tells me this might be a busy GB...

• Thanks 1

189CEB33-28A5-4ABE-B52C-3DC4340A8111

Struggled my way through this Hasegawa 1/32 109F-4, not through any fault of the kit (they are a delightful build), but through a lack of mojo.

Enjoyed getting it done and am 3/4 through a 1/72  Fine Molds 109F-2.

Raring to go in this GB.

Maybe Cyber Hobby's 1/32 109E-3 in a scheme from JG77 or JG5. (Something from the far north)

• Like 4

10 hours ago, wayne 0 said:

189CEB33-28A5-4ABE-B52C-3DC4340A8111

Struggled my way through this Hasegawa 1/32 109F-4, not through any fault of the kit (they are a delightful build), but through a lack of mojo.

Enjoyed getting it done and am 3/4 through a 1/72  Fine Molds 109F-2.

Raring to go in this GB.

Maybe Cyber Hobby's 1/32 109E-3 in a scheme from JG77 or JG5. (Something from the far north)

Tidy work Wayne. Seems you're one a 109 theme at the moment.

• Like 1