Bf 109 STGB Chat

Col.

ok I didn't sign up for this one because:

a, I have or knew I would have a full dance card

b, I really didn't have a model for this build..........ok I have a partially started 1/48th Bf-109B which I'll get to one day............

c, I didn't want to annoy Col........... ok that's not really an excuse as I really do like annoying him!! :D

But at my local club meet on the weekend this model just happened to call my name (...you must annoy Col........ you must annoy Col......) so who am I to to ignore such pleading!!! :D

So I ended up with this beauty! I had seen it in the stash before but for some reason didn't quite realise what the model was or it's scale.

IMG_5603-L.jpg

Now in of hot stick hands (.....will say no more.... :wub:) what a gorgeous model it is! No AM required for this one...... ok I know that isn't quite true in my case, there's always room for extra AM!!! :D  But I'll try to be good.

The scheme.....well there is no choice than other a beast flown by Adolf Gallant who I have a HUGE interest in..... plus a resin figure of him comes with the model complete with cigar.

IMG_5606-L.jpg

IMG_5605-L.jpg

There is no garrantee I'll finish her in time but it's a very straight forward build so it should be a sinch.............. oh dear famous last words......... but hey at least I get to annoy Col!!! :tease:  Plus the Bf-109 is the main Group Build of the year for my local club.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 08/02/2021 at 17:39, jackroadkill said:

Uh, make that three; a moment of indiscretion saw me accidentally buy another on eBay today.  The Bf109 thing is really getting out of hand now, and I'm hoping to get a couple done in the GB to make some room.

Oh dear.  Oh dear oh dear oh dear.  It seems to have happened again.

spacer.png

Fifteen quid from eBay.  It would have been rude not to, right?

Of course, I now have a total dilemma on my hands - which to do for the GB?  There's the Eduard G6 that I have all that lovely AM for, or the Special Hobby E4 that looks so nice, the Academy one that I was going to do originally, or maybe the Airfix E1.....  It's a good problem to have, of course, but which to do?  I mean, if I'm feeling masochistic there's even an ICM F4 in the stash.

Answers on a postcard.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Answers on a postcard.

I’d just build them all. I have 7 kits in the stash and two in the post ( if I can help it I also want a few G6s). And will be opening a local branch of the modelling version of the BFW for the months of May and June :) 

• Like 2

No stash reduction happening here. I have umpteen Bf-109's in the stash back home. Eduard, Zvezda and Airfix with a good supply of aftermarket. All good kits and corrections. Yet, it remains highly likely I will still be abroad come end of May so nothing to do but order a couple of kits locally. An Eduard E-4 and a G-14 (to build as a late G-6) are now on their way. Still planning to do the same subjects, which I realised today were the subjects of the cover art on this 2011 Bulgarian publication.

bf109_2021GB_004

Ray

• Like 3

On 29/03/2021 at 18:16, Marklo said:

I’d just build them all.

I'm sure you would, young man, but not all of us have your zeal, dedication and general togetherness!

And if I built all the 109s in my stash, my stash wouldn't have any 109s in it, and that would be a very sorry state of affairs, I'm sure you'd agree.

Although, I could, I suppose just..... buy some more?

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

young man

I haven’t been called that in a long time.

12 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

And if I built all the 109s in my stash, my stash wouldn't have any 109s in it, and that would be a very sorry state of affairs,

But then you’d have to buy some more to address the sorry state of your stash. Win win :) 

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

My wallet cries when I even think about 109s, though.  It's cruelty to leather products

It’s all virtual nowadays anyway. And besides I may have gotten permission to buy those three G-6 s I’m looking for from my other half :) Which means, if my AVIAs (ever) arrive I’ll have 12 kits for the GB, I will never want to build another 109 again ( well maybe for a while anyway)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Whatever this bug is that makes you buy 109s has obviously afflicted me too.

Well it was (afaik) the second most built airframe in history ( oddly I think the IL2 was the most built) and it is a remarkable piece of engineering and the  various colour scheme look so good on the shelf, and there were so many interesting variants….

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

Look what arrived today. A little aftermarket to come, but we can say we're ready. I plan to do both builds in parallel and post separate threads for each subject. Last year I did a "A Pair of Bulgarian Shchuka" (Ju-87's), This year it will be "A Pair of Bulgarian Strela" (Bf-109's).

bf109_2021GB_006

I have not decided whether to finish the G-6/14 in the post-war OF markings or as Spring 1944 White 7. The latter is a subject on the Kora Decal sheet. Today, I am leaning towards White 7. This is still one of my favourite 109 images. Oh, what a lovely smoke trail - get the smoke mix ready! 

bf109_2021GB_007

And besides, another couple of Black St. Andrews Cross aircraft will look good beside the Stuka's.

Note to Modellers: The Berta and Dora below are equal in size other than the wing-tip extension on the D-5. If I photograph the Berta in front, it looks larger than the Dora.

Stuka_Bulgarian_Pair

Ray

• Like 5

On 3/28/2021 at 1:05 PM, trickyrich said:

ok I didn't sign up for this one because:

a, I have or knew I would have a full dance card

b, I really didn't have a model for this build..........ok I have a partially started 1/48th Bf-109B which I'll get to one day............

c, I didn't want to annoy Col........... ok that's not really an excuse as I really do like annoying him!! :D

I was beginning to wonder where you'd got to...

No AM required for this one......

What!?! :blink2:

.... ok I know that isn't quite true in my case, there's always room for extra AM!!! :D

Phew! I really was getting concerned for you there :o 

...But I'll try to be good.

Hahahahaha, aye, right :rofl2:

On 3/28/2021 at 7:09 PM, jackroadkill said:

Oh dear.  Oh dear oh dear oh dear.  It seems to have happened again.

spacer.png

Fifteen quid from eBay.  It would have been rude not to, right?

Of course, I now have a total dilemma on my hands - which to do for the GB?  There's the Eduard G6 that I have all that lovely AM for, or the Special Hobby E4 that looks so nice, the Academy one that I was going to do originally, or maybe the Airfix E1.....  It's a good problem to have, of course, but which to do?  I mean, if I'm feeling masochistic there's even an ICM F4 in the stash.

Answers on a postcard.

Absolutely. The poor thing clearly needed a loving home.

Other than the obvious W.W.E.M.D multi-build answer I'd say do the Hasegawa kit first to maximise the 'new kit enthusiasm' then go for the Special Hobby one after that if you have time.

On 3/29/2021 at 10:04 PM, Davek72 said:

Ooooh. Can I join too..?

I have more than a few in the stash. 

Of course. I mean, now that @trickyrich is here, we're clearly letting anyone join so need you to make the place look a bit more classy ;) 

On 3/31/2021 at 11:41 PM, Tim R-T-C said:

Whatever this bug is that makes you buy 109s has obviously afflicted me too. I had nearly finished my Gustav and, somehow, another boxing of the kit appeared at my door too... 🤔

spacer.png

Small but perfectly formed Tim. Nice work :goodjob:

On 4/1/2021 at 1:01 PM, Ray_W said:

Look what arrived today. A little aftermarket to come, but we can say we're ready. I plan to do both builds in parallel and post separate threads for each subject. Last year I did a "A Pair of Bulgarian Shchuka" (Ju-87's), This year it will be "A Pair of Bulgarian Strela" (Bf-109's).

bf109_2021GB_006

I have not decided whether to finish the G-6/14 in the post-war OF markings or as Spring 1944 White 7. The latter is a subject on the Kora Decal sheet. Today, I am leaning towards White 7. This is still one of my favourite 109 images. Oh, what a lovely smoke trail - get the smoke mix ready! 

bf109_2021GB_007

And besides, another couple of Black St. Andrews Cross aircraft will look good beside the Stuka's.

Note to Modellers: The Berta and Dora below are equal in size other than the wing-tip extension on the D-5. If I photograph the Berta in front, it looks larger than the Dora.

Stuka_Bulgarian_Pair

Ray

Your -109s will look great in the company of your -87s and we'll all be in for a treat watching your progress on them Ray :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Col. said:

Your -109s will look great in the company of your -87s and we'll all be in for a treat watching your progress on them

Hi Col,

I am really looking forward to this GB. I really like the Eduard 109's having made a few. This time though, I intend to spend some time on their measurement and satisfy for myself how right or wrong Eduard are. Call me a sucker for punishment. Already starting to play a little with the plastic comparing their Emil and Gustav.

bf109_2021GB_008

Should be straight forward builds although once that ruler comes comes out things could get a little crazy even if it is just to do something with the leading edge slats.

Ray 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mark.au said:

Count me in this one too.  I’ll be tackling this marking from the Eduard 1/48 kit.

I don't think the markings require special tackling but the paintwork indeed does! :popcorn:

5 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I don't think the markings require special tackling but the paintwork indeed does! :popcorn:

Indeed!  I want to improve on my last attempt which was on an Emil...

spacer.png

• Like 6

21 hours ago, mark.au said:

Indeed!  I want to improve on my last attempt which was on an Emil...

Improve on it?  I'd give my right arm to be good enough to build models like that!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can't promise anything to the standard of that Emil 😳

But what I lack in modelling I can make up for with silly backstory.... such as this for my newly finished G-10.

spacer.png

Here we meet the brave comrades of the 33rd Rifle Division, battling deep into German territory they helped capture the airfield of Jüterbog, one of the last left defending Berlin.  During the capture they were instructed to try and capture the Luftwaffe planes intact, so they could be studied by Soviet scientists.

Although most of the planes at the airfield had been destroyed by the fleeing Germans, these brave comrades saw a Luftwaffe pilot attempting to escape and rather than destroying the plane, jumped onto its wings to slow it down and broke open the cockpit to force the pilot to stop the plane.

Unfortunately when Stalin saw the photo, he was so shocked at how ugly the soldiers were, he ordered the photo to be buried deep in the Kremlin archives and had the photographer sent to a Gulag.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 7