Bf 109 STGB Chat

Col.

Let me muddy the waters further then. The middle plane looks like it has the umbrella holders of a G6 Trop. So maybe it’s not a G14 but a dry topicalised G6!

Who knows, I’m not a rivet counter either so press on .

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info but from what I have read the G-10, K-4, G-14 and G-6 late were pretty much all the same or

"Frankenplanes" of each other. Here is my one and only reference image looking like a short tail G-14 or an Erla canopy

G-6 or who knows what else. It is said to be a Bf109G-14U2.---John

RYScC3f.jpg

The G14 (and the G10, which oddly came after the G14) were official attempts to update and regularise production as was the K series.

The various marks mostly have some distinctive features but it is fair to say that from the G6 onwards any combination of tails, cowlings, canopies, wheels is possible. To the point that while it’s possible to match a model to a photo it’s not really possible to identify the actual mark unless it’s been recorded with the photo.

From your photo it’s definitely a DB605a engine. The Erla hood says later production to me, so more likely a G14, If you look for a small duct under the starboard bulge then it could be a G6 trop or a G14 and if there is also a bulge for an oil cooler ( not sure where) then it’s a G14 ( possibly) 

So I suppose based mostly on the hood I’d say more likely G14 than G6.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

Just out of curiosity what needs to be done to create a G-14AS? I know it doesn't have the

bulges for the guns on the fuselage but is the cowl shaped differently than the G-14 Buele?

Could my Academy kit be altered for that option? I may someday give it a try.---John

The G6 and two 14 AS had the DB605D the G14 had the DB605a and has a very differently shaped  Front upper cowl. I think it also had a deeper oil cooler.

resized_0f7c7a29-22f3-4502-88eb-fc9e21c9

You’d need to mold a new upper cowling and the cheeks below the canopy as well as modifying the oil cooler. 

The G14AS is essentially a G10 but they were built before the DB605D was available in sufficient quantity to allow series production of the G10.

If your kit has parts for the short tail you could build any of the early Gs but I’d just go buy a G10 kit if you want one.

Edited by Marklo

I don't know why it happened again but in a Finnish model stuff flea market fb group someone just posted a Hasegawa Hartmann- combo G-6+G-14 for sale and I grabbed it of course... It's the same plastics I already have x3 for this GB. With the Hartmann-decals I do nothing, it's all blue and white only for me 🙂

• Like 1

1/48 or 1/32? I'd love to get the Hasegawa 1/32 K4 reboxed cheaper by Revell.

I had that G-6 G-14 kit I think......same plastic, different decals!---John

On 2/20/2021 at 7:31 PM, Marklo said:

Ok bought another E this is earmarked for a conversion but I won’t say what till the GB starts. So I now have 7 in the stash three Revell G-10s three Airfix Es ( the maddening thing about this kit is that it says it’s an E3 but had the later hood and I’m going to need the early hood on at least two of them)  and a Heller K4. Two KP Avis S199s in the post and an urge to buy three G-6s . So seven definite, two more probables and three more hopefuls. 

Would that be the starter kit boxing of the series 1 E-4? The one I  got from Aldi has all the extra packed into an elongated box, but it's otherwise the same as this:

AIR-55106.jpg?20180807194056

Some E-3s were refitted with the "squared up" hood, so Airfix may not actually be wrong in this case, not that it's any consolation.

I also have Es from Heller, Academy and ICM in the stash*. All three have a choice of hoods, but to my eye, only Heller (by far the oldest kit of the three) gets the earlier style even remotely right. YMMV of course ...

*All of which may make an appearance in this GB, along with one of the Airfix kits. An F and G (or even two Gs) from certain other manufacturers may also join the party.

• Like 1

Yes that’s the kit. I don’t know if Airfix got the canopy wrong or not, it could well be that later production E3s had the newer canopy, indeed its the kind of thing that happened a lot as the plane was developed. It just so happens that two of the builds I want to do need the earlier style canopy, not a big deal just means I need to mold a few canopies.

Heller do kits of the C/D so would already have the earlier style canopy. Some of the heller 109s are pretty good, for a long time their K was considered the most accurate kit out there ( notwithstanding its raised panel lines)  

Edited by Marklo

6 hours ago, klr said:

An F and G (or even two Gs)

Be warned although its not obvious the canopy was changed to a smaller double glazed type without the front triangular windows ( this was to make it possible to pressurise any G model) on the G so although they look the similar side by side they’re quite different; you would need to make the aperture smaller and change canopies to make a G out of an F. 

I’m turning into a real 109 anorak aren’t I :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Marklo said:

The G6 and two 14 AS had the DB605D the G14 had the DB605a and has a very differently shaped  Front upper cowl. I think it also had a deeper oil cooler.

resized_0f7c7a29-22f3-4502-88eb-fc9e21c9

You’d need to mold a new upper cowling and the cheeks below the canopy as well as modifying the oil cooler. The G14AS is essentially a G10 but they were built before the DB605D was available in sufficient quantity to allow series production of the G10. If your kit has parts for the short tail you could build any of the early Gs but I’d just go buy a G10 kit if you want one.

Let´s muddy the waters some more! I have no personal interest in G-10:s but I have "backdated" one Revell kit to a G-6/AS. According to the instructions I had read from various experts on-line, I did two modifications to front fuselage: 1) G-6/AS had a regular depth oil cooler, not like the G-10 (the kit part was so thick I could just sand it down to a more correct shape!) and 2) the kit had separate parts to add in lower front corners as "oil sump covers" in the illustration on the low right corner - these were to be left off, simple as that. I think - but I´m not an anorak - that the G-14/AS had more in common with G-6/AS than a G-10, but... V-P

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I think - but I´m not an anorak - that the G-14/AS had more in common with G-6/AS than a G-10, but...

I think you may be right. G14 was a stopgap because the DB605D wasn’t available in quantity ( which was the intended engine for the G10, hence the G14 was in service before the G10), so it had a lot in common with the G6 ditto the G14AS.

Decals just arrived for my Hungarian G14. I also purchased a 1/48 KA Bf109G-10 to use as a donor for

a Bf109G-14AS. It's the Fujimi mold repopped by a Korean company. Should do a good job, just need to

do a bit more research on what parts to use and not to use.---John

t9qXKwS.jpg

gTTQpzc.jpg

• Like 4

On 3/10/2021 at 8:55 AM, English Electric said:

Would love to join this if I may... not sure of kit yet though!

I’ve had a good poke through and would like to enter with this please ... wish me luck! Ordered the canopy masks today...

Cs199

EDIT... having properly looked through this luck will indeed be required. Just 35 parts but I'd totally forgotten the myriad of joys that an early KP kit (1978 in this case) can bring ... injector pin towers everywhere, including some bang on the cockpit sidewall detail and a wealth of flash and surface marks etc... all in brittle white plastic. However, still looking forwards to it and it's going to be a lot of fun I suspect! The decals had browned as well, so they're now in a poly bag on the windowsill. I only want the codes, the national markings I have already :)

Edited by English Electric
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

My 1/48 KA (Fujimi) Bf109G-10 kit arrived. it has a heavy inner sleeve in the side open box. Nicely

molded and a small PE fret to boot.---John

KQEz46q.jpg

• Like 5

d04fc69f-db77-43b9-bfd8-9228fd92881c.jpeFound this, owing to a squabble among the Luftwaffe leadership for a brief period during the Battle of Britain III:JG53 flew their planes with the swastikas painted out as a protest! so Gelb 14 is going into the mix ( I’m allowing myself one swastika for the GB)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

If - and only if - I complete the CS-199 I’m happy to consider one of the below two... I have a couple of Buchon related things but I really will be screaming with them I think - the  Pegasus kit and a conversion set. These are possibly more manageable... happy to take requests on which one you’d prefer... 

51045778762_919a9ba950_b.jpg

best as ever

Chris

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Marklo said:

d04fc69f-db77-43b9-bfd8-9228fd92881c.jpeFound this, owing to a squabble among the Luftwaffe leadership for a brief period during the Battle of Britain III:JG53 flew their planes with the swastikas painted out as a protest! so Gelb 14 is going into the mix ( I’m allowing myself one swastika for the GB)

interesting, didn't something similar happen in North Africa?

• 2 weeks later...

I am considering switching from a Hungarian G-14 to a Hungarian G-10. I got spoiled non my recent

builds, the Eduard, Fujimi and Hasegawa let you drop the slats and flaps, Academy doesn't. I can't find

a short tailed G-14 with poseable flaps and slats so I may just buy a Fujimi kit, Bf109K-4 that I found at

a decent price and it has all the extra parts to build a G-10. Actually the KA kit I just bought is the old Fujimi

G-10 kit and it has parts for the K-4! I still want to keep with my no Swastika non German build and do like the

Hungarian markings. Just have to get decals. Fujimi K-4 kit pictured below.---John

SqdpwZm.png

• Like 2