Bf 109 STGB Chat

Col.

19 minutes ago, Col. said:

I think 107 is stretching the limits of What Would @Enzo MatrixDo (W.W.E.M.D.) beyond its limits :lol: 

Due credit to @Duncan Bfor having quite a collection of finished 109 to show already though. Think it's fair to say his Display/Stash ratio is more balanced than many of us, certainly far better than my Harrier D/S ratio anyway :blush:

I'm disappointed it's not 109 109's. Quick buy some more. 

• Haha 5

49 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

I'm disappointed it's not 109 109's. Quick buy some more. 

Give him a little time ;) The GB is next year and the scores will have changed by then.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Col. said:

Give him a little time ;) The GB is next year and the scores will have changed by then.

And a 109 Z counts as one. 😄 

Actually what a wonderful subject for the STGB.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Col. said:

I think 107 is stretching the limits of What Would @Enzo MatrixDo (W.W.E.M.D.) beyond its limits :lol: 

Due credit to @Duncan Bfor having quite a collection of finished 109 to show already though. Think it's fair to say his Display/Stash ratio is more balanced than many of us, certainly far better than my Harrier D/S ratio anyway :blush:

I have had a recent cull of some of the stash that was never even going to get close to being built which has helped bring the numbers down a bit. I haven't counted how many 109s are currently in the display cabinets. The number doesn't actually increase too much as I tend to remove an early build with new as they come along.

Duncan B

Edit: 9x 1/48 (I'm a relative newbie to 1/48 scale) and 21x 1/72 currently on display!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ray_W said:

And a 109 Z counts as one. 😄 

Actually what a wonderful subject for the STGB.

Is that your choice of type? :hmmm: :wicked:

2 hours ago, Duncan B said:

I have had a recent cull of some of the stash that was never even going to get close to being built which has helped bring the numbers down a bit. I haven't counted how many 109s are currently in the display cabinets. The number doesn't actually increase too much as I tend to remove an early build with new as they come along.

Duncan B

Edit: 9x 1/48 (I'm a relative newbie to 1/48 scale) and 21x 1/72 currently on display!

Be good to see some of your collection as inspiration sometime ;)

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

I knew my 14 Me 109:s in 1:72 weren't even a beginning of a collection, well done Duncan! V-P

Edit: Four kits in the stash.

Four is a good comittment to a GB. Enzo will approve :lol:

31 minutes ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Damn I thought my 8 109s was a stash.

I feel inadequate 😳

I'd probably be in for this one depending when it starts.

I'll add your name to the list in order that we can keep pressurising, oops I mean informing, you of any developments :D

16 minutes ago, Col. said:

Four is a good comittment to a GB. Enzo will approve :lol:

I wasn't sure so I just ten minutes ago bought two more Hasegawa Gustavs, of course in a Finnish Combo boxing. Now I can build a trio of G-2:s in one GB and a duo of G-6:s in another. Interceptors and 109:s - there we have a winning combo, thanks Col. :yahoo:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Col. said:

Is that your choice of type?

I said it as a joke but, I must say, a bf 109 Zwilling is very tempting. I have started the research. I prefer to build actual aircraft rather than "what if's" so I'll be on the hunt for info on that prototype that subsequently crashed. I know there was some resin conversion sets, I think based on Gustav for what was to be the production variant, and I'll assess if still available and worthwhile. I think the prototype was based on the Friedrich frame and I have a couple of Zvezda 1/48 I can use (yes stash reduction by 2!). Looks like a commitment is being made. Fun!! :wacko:

When is the likely kick-off date for the STGB?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

I wasn't sure so I just ten minutes ago bought two more Hasegawa Gustavs, of course in a Finnish Combo boxing. Now I can build a trio of G-2:s in one GB and a duo of G-6:s in another. Interceptors and 109:s - there we have a winning combo, thanks Col. :yahoo:

Sounds grand to me :D 

46 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Gees and here I am with just 3 in the stash, two Heller B/C’s and an AMG Dora. 

Nice mix :) Don't see the earlier types as often as the seemingly almost ubiquitous E.

6 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

I said it as a joke but, I must say, a bf 109 Zwilling is very tempting. I have started the research. I prefer to build actual aircraft rather than "what if's" so I'll be on the hunt for info on that prototype that subsequently crashed. I know there was some resin conversion sets, I think based on Gustav for what was to be the production variant, and I'll assess if still available and worthwhile. I think the prototype was based on the Friedrich frame and I have a couple of Zvezda 1/48 I can use (yes stash reduction by 2!). Looks like a commitment is being made. Fun!! :wacko:

While pure What-ifs are outwith the scope of this GB the prototypes are most certainly welcome :thumbsup:

14 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

When is the likely kick-off date for the STGB?

Good question and well timed as I just so happen to have the dates to announce courtesy of THE BOSS (Enzo) who's done some shuffling to give us...

29 May 2021 to 29 August 2021

So a little over 14 months to gather material and clear the bench ready for the first flight anniversary :yahoo:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Col. said:

While pure What-ifs are outwith the scope of this GB the prototypes are most certainly welcome :thumbsup:

Still counts if the aircraft did not fly? Seems it was built and damaged by allied bombing - never flew. If OK I'm in with this one. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Still counts if the aircraft did not fly? Seems it was built and damaged by allied bombing - never flew. If OK I'm in with this one. 

Still counts yes :) 

10 minutes ago, Col. said:
1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice mix :) Don't see the earlier types as often as the seemingly almost ubiquitous E.

I will still need to add two Emil’s, both an E1 and E3 to my collection. As well as two F’s, also an 1 and 3 by odd coincidence all for my future Priller builds. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I will still need to add two Emil’s, both an E1 and E3 to my collection. As well as two F’s, also an 1 and 3 by odd coincidence all for my future Priller builds. 

At least you've plenty time to do so before this GB starts ;) 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@Ozzy you wrote about a BoB build where a Spitfire starts a roll after shooting a Bf 110 engine on fire. It immediately reminded me of this watercolour by Sture Gripenberg 🇫🇮. It depicts vänrikki Johannes Brotherus with a Bf 109 shooting down a Soviet P-39 and its pilot bailing out. Enjoy! V-P

2020-05-17_10-31-42

• Like 4

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

@Ozzy you wrote about a BoB build where a Spitfire starts a roll after shooting a Bf 110 engine on fire. It immediately reminded me of this watercolour by Sture Gripenberg 🇫🇮. It depicts vänrikki Johannes Brotherus with a Bf 109 shooting down a Soviet P-39 and its pilot bailing out. Enjoy! V-P

2020-05-17_10-31-42

Nice picture @vppelt68, I’m hoping to get the pilot in a bailing out position as you can have the canopy open.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have several 109s in the stash so I’d like to join in if I may.  Probably do a Bulgarian one. (At least)

AW

• Like 2

On 5/26/2020 at 1:08 AM, Andwil said:

I have several 109s in the stash so I’d like to join in if I may.  Probably do a Bulgarian one. (At least)

AW

Any operator of the 109 is welcome and one of the less commonly seen ones all the more so :D  I'll added your name to the list AW.

• Like 1