Bf 109 STGB Chat

Col.

1 minute ago, Col. said:

It is a little slow at the moment but we've got time yet. Don't think it's a bad thing to be so enthusiatic about a subject though, sounds as if your motivation is high :) 

Yes it is a good thing  I've got plenty of time to pick the subject matter. I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew with a bigger scale. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

My stash contains these eligable  1/72 kits

Academy Bf109e,

Airfix Bf109e4,

Monogram Bf109G10,

Airfix Bf109G6,

Italeri Bf109G6.   Showing support to build at least one of them.

That Airfix G  kit is the ancient and has no decals, hence the Italeri equivalent.

Nice selection. The Airfix and Italeri G6 would make for an interesting double-build if there's enough decals in the later to cover both kits.

47 minutes ago, Walter said:

Yes it is a good thing  I've got plenty of time to pick the subject matter. I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew with a bigger scale. 

Nah, you'll be fine, it's just the same except the bits are bigger and you need a bit more paint ;) 

18 minutes ago, Col. said:

Nice selection. The Airfix and Italeri G6 would make for an interesting double-build if there's enough decals in the later to cover both kits.

Well a quick perusal of the instructions confirms two mutually exclusive Luftwaffe options - and a Finn, and a Swiss one.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Walter said:

This is a slow burn isn't it! I think by the time this gb comes around I'll have to try a 1/48 scale.

Its probably because of voting in the group builds. Once ends people will start looking around to see whats coming and available to jump in. 

2 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

My stash contains these eligable  1/72 kits

Academy Bf109e,

Airfix Bf109e4,

Monogram Bf109G10,

Airfix Bf109G6,

Italeri Bf109G6.   Showing support to build at least one of them.

Ive got three x 109D’s and need two F’s yet myself. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Here's my toy box for this particular GB :) 

2019-11-22_02-09-33

One full Eduard Overtrees kit and the majority of a second without the cockpit parts, a Brassin cockpit, and a couple decal sheets. I'll need to add a second Brassin cockpit to ensure the Yugoslavian UMe-109 can become a reality but money is a little tight at the moment.

• Like 1

I visited my local hobby shop today. They had a Hasegawa 1:72 scale Bf 109 G-6 dual boxing with Finnish decals for two HLeLv 34 planes (surprise it caught my eye :hmmm:). It costs too close to as much as two fresh Tamiya Gustav kits. I have "enough" aftermarket decals for Finnish MT:s already. But that external surface detail looked soooo niiiiiiice... I didn't buy it. At least not yet. I don't need those decals. I collect HLeLv 24 planes. But are those Hase mid-90's vintage kits just too nice not to grab them? No interior detail to speak of but otoh none will be seen anyway once the canopies are attached. Just quick assembly and then splash the colours on. Aw... 💸

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

I visited my local hobby shop today. They had a Hasegawa 1:72 scale Bf 109 G-6 dual boxing with Finnish decals for two HLeLv 34 planes (surprise it caught my eye :hmmm:). It costs too close to as much as two fresh Tamiya Gustav kits. I have "enough" aftermarket decals for Finnish MT:s already. But that external surface detail looked soooo niiiiiiice... I didn't buy it. At least not yet. I don't need those decals. I collect HLeLv 24 planes. But are those Hase mid-90's vintage kits just too nice not to grab them? No interior detail to speak of but otoh none will be seen anyway once the canopies are attached. Just quick assembly and then splash the colours on. Aw... 💸

If you already have the same decals how many AZ (or other quality 72nd scale) kits could you buy for the same price?

• Like 1

Any of us in mainland UK looking for a cheap 109 kit could do worse than get Revell's 48th scale G-10 kit in Hobbycraft for £5. 

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/revell-messerschmitt-bf-109-g10-model-plane-kit-148/631101-1000

Reading some online reviews gives the impression it is a simple and somewhat basic but nonetheless good kit. Perhaps a nice introduction to those of us looking to go up a scale or the more experienced amongst us looking for a simpler low-stress project.

For the 72nd scale gang both Aldi and Lidl currently have the Airfix 109E starter kits at £4.99 so plenty selection of bargains.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

:hmmm:1.7 Tamiya, 3.5 AZmodel and 4 Academy :laugh:

No idea how good the AZ or Academy kits are but they sound better value ;) 

14 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

vy ist mine naime not on zee liszt?

Early ont it should bee.

Pleeeze put it on it now, at once

BK acting the eejit

Exzellent! It vill be done right avay :D 

Edited by Col.
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Stick me on the list Col. 

It’s about time I built something from ZeGerman’s. 

It's a pleasure to have you along for this one :) 

• Thanks 1

Hi Col,

yes please, put my name on the blackboard!

It will either be a 109 E or F, my favorites.

Thereafter I will make an exception for the G-10, but none of the rest makes my modelling juices flow!

Cheers

JR

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jean said:

Hi Col,

yes please, put my name on the blackboard!

It will either be a 109 E or F, my favorites.

Thereafter I will make an exception for the G-10, but none of the rest makes my modelling juices flow!

Cheers

JR

Of course Jean. You are number 25 and that takes us over the threshold to become an official STGB with a place on the 2021 calendar :)

Oh @Enzo Matrix... :D

• Like 2

On 23/11/2019 at 00:48, Col. said:

Here's my toy box for this particular GB :) 

2019-11-22_02-09-33

One full Eduard Overtrees kit and the majority of a second without the cockpit parts, a Brassin cockpit, and a couple decal sheets. I'll need to add a second Brassin cockpit to ensure the Yugoslavian UMe-109 can become a reality but money is a little tight at the moment.

I was only looking at Eduard site last night at this plane overtree with a bigsin that had the brassin engine. It's unfortunate I'm in Australia postage kills the incentive to buy direct even with the member discount.  I may have to get a Profipack locally and brassin separate, or get lucky with eBay.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2019 at 6:43 AM, trickyrich said:

....and by my cunning spreadsheet that date would be around April/May 2021......only nearly 18 months away!

Ooh! It doesn't sound so far removed when you put it like that :D I'll pester @Enzo MatrixThe Great again later once his staff have awoken him and got him preped for another day of benevolent dictatorship.

On 11/30/2019 at 7:11 AM, Walter said:

I was only looking at Eduard site last night at this plane overtree with a bigsin that had the brassin engine. It's unfortunate I'm in Australia postage kills the incentive to buy direct even with the member discount.  I may have to get a Profipack locally and brassin separate, or get lucky with eBay.

Been somewhat tempted by that engine kit as well to add a bit of extra interest to one of the two :hmmm:Pity about the scary postage costs but having seen how much it costs to get stuff from Australia to the UK I can understand why it puts you off :( 

Edited by Col.