1/72 Italeri bf109g-6 questions

phat trev

Hey all. Looking to start a 1/72 Italeri 109g-6 but need a bit of guidance. As well as narrowing the undercarriage, what else might need to be done to be more representative of a 109? 

Also so what might be needed to convert the kit to a g-2?

To prevent it from looking like a complete caricature, You need to reduce the size of the tires by about 40% (i.e. reduce the total diameter of wheels by a couple of mm), or get new wheels from another kit.

Those things are just... 'yuuuuge!

Another thing to consider correcting is the spinner, which is too blunt at the top.

Regards,

Aleksandar

Edited by warhawk
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, warhawk said:

To prevent it from looking like a complete caricature, You need to reduce the size of the tires by about 40% (i.e. reduce the total diameter of wheels by a couple of mm), or get new wheels from another kit.

Those things are just... 'yuuuuge!

And also the wheel wells for that matter. IIrc the G2 wheel wells are round, not cornered.

Personally I'd use the Italeri for spares to make a Heller, except I'm not sure which bits I'd use.  Cockpit interiors, probably.  The main problem with the Heller kit is that it is too short in the rear fuselage, and it may be a little fat too.  The familiar method was to cut the tail off, and add some 80 thou of plasticard (not absolutely sure of the number there).  Nowadays I'd probably do offset cuts to make a stronger bond, but that's just a minor change in technique.  The Heller kit basically assumes the G-2 only differed from the G-6 by the gun bulges, so whether it has G-2 wheels etc is open to doubt.  The spinner is certainly a superior shape, but may be slightly too wide for the Italeri nose.  It might help if I could remember what I used for my Italeri F...  I've a feeling that was a spare Heller spinner (unless it was Frog - too many years ago, I'm afraid).

If the Model world really is awash with spare AZ spinners and wheels, go for those rather than this kit.  Or perhaps some aftermarket?

I agree with everything Vesa said. Why waste your time and effords on a turd like the Italeri G-6 to bring it to G-2 standard? Get the Finemolds one and be glad you did. If you can't get one then go with the AZ one, which also is a bazillion times better than the crap Italeri spew out. The Heller kit is good for nostalgic reasons, the Italeri not even that.

• Like 1

I get the impression that he already has the Italeri one, so there's more modelling interest in working with that one.  It'll never make a silk purse, admittedly.  If he hadn't bought it there'd be no good reason why he should, I agree.  I don't have the G, but did make an F (and have ended up with at least one more, after the gift of a Mistel Ju.88) and after changing the spinner and the wheels (actually, I missed that) I don't believe that it is too terrible.  I've certainly had worse 109 kits - not that that is any good reason to perpetuate them!

However there is a major discrepancy with the AZ one, where the fuselage is too shallow at the wing leading edge, affecting the appearance of the nose and making the wing leading edge too high.  This has been corrected on some of the later G-10 toolings, I gather, but that's not a lot of help here.  You can fix it: I've cut a slot in the fuselage and wedged it apart, but I still have a lot to do to finish it. and wouldn't really recommend that approach. 

Cheers guys. Using the Italeri one as it is readily available (ie I have one to hand) and although aware the Finemoulds 109s are the great, I enjoy a bit of a challenge over a bit of accuracy sometimes :) I have seen sone great built versions around here too

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

If you can find FineMolds Bf-109 kit that is absolutely best kit in 1/72

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/finemolds-fl14-messerschmitt-bf-109-g-6--132493

Don't forget the new Tamiya kit..
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-60790-messerschmitt-bf109-g-6--1188999

7 hours ago, Luka said:

I have several of the new Tamiya kits.  While they are quite nice, they would not so easily lend themselves to such a conversion for a Bf.109G-2.  With the way Tamiya molded the cowling gun bulges, you'd have to cut them off the cowling and then patch the resulting hole.  Plus you would also have to fill the indents for the bulge on the fuselage.  You would also have to find (most likely from a photoetch set, an early type armoured head rest.

As the OP stated he plans to use the kit he has on hand, but failing that, I would endorse the suggestion already made for the Fine Molds kit.

Edited by Wm Blecky
typo

I have both the Finemolds as well as the Zvezda kit, the latter is lost however (stuck in another box, don't ask) so I don't know how it compares, but at least it was cheap. It's an easy-build type of kit but you wouldn't be able to tell if you build it right.

Edit: Sorry confused here, we are talking about a G... never mind.

Edited by sroubos

7 hours ago, Wm Blecky said:

To better illustrate what I have said, you can look at the following:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Didn't realise Tamiya's kit had this bulge setup. My bad.