New Tool Airfix Vulcan 1/72 - Black Buck rebox announced

Adam Poultney

Having received at least one perfect kit from Airfix directly I managed to lose the assembled cockpit floor and longitudinal supports (only the 3 pats thankfully) at our Club night on Tuesday.  Sadly we're not the only users of the building, so chances of recovery are very slim. Still, Airfix might have a few Vulcan kits with missing wing panels that they can't sell now playing at hangar Queens.. 

• 4 weeks later...

Aerocraft Model Avro Vulcan canopy and screen set

Source: https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/avro-vulcan-canopy-and-screen-wipers-for-the-new-airfix-kit

This is a new canopy for the Airfix kit, although a great kit and is light years ahead of the much older kit the kit canopy is let down by having the wipers moulded on, added to that they are in the incorrect position and the central window is missing a wiper.
With some careful work and a little bit of time on the CAD, I now have a new cast canopy and separate 3D printed resin wipers. As the wipers are really small and delicate I will be offering two sets of wipers for any mishaps.
The third picture shows the original kit canopy and the new cast canopy.

Note the casting block and the side flash are easily removed, and the part will just drop in.

237971438-815652985818358-38829076415452

9327379-D-292-C-465-F-A1-FC-B847-A4-DADD

AF9-E01-C0-1-E63-4294-94-F5-AA22930-F7-B

V.P.

• Like 7

I need suggest please. "Falkland Raider" i can build from this initial release or is better wait for second rebox ? I know a bomb payload is on parts in first box too, but probably not decals ?

Nuclear bomber in Flash White is attractive too... but it is a great Monster...for two pieces :D

Edited by AlCZ

5 minutes ago, AlCZ said:

I need suggest please. "Falkland Raider" i can build from this initial release or is better wait for second rebox ? I know a bomb payload is on parts in first box too, but probably not decals ?

Nuclear bomber in Flash White is attractive too... but it is a great Monster...for two pieces :D

The parts to go under the wings for black buck aircraft are not included in the kit. I strongly suspect that they will be included in the second issue of the kit.

5 minutes ago, AlCZ said:

I need suggest please. "Falkland Raider" i can build from this initial release or is better wait for second rebox ?

AICZ, although not impossible to build this initial release into a 'Falklands Raider', most of us on here are fairly sure that Airfix will release a specific Falklands War box with all the extra bits and decals you will need. It might be best to wait until Early/Mid 2022. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Hello,  

I have the pylons from the old box for XM 607. Are those correct? Left and right are différent. Thanks for the help.

• 4 months later...

It's a pity there is no Black Buck version this year, seems strange to miss it. In fact they seemed to have downplayed the anniversary, no Harrier GR.3 either.

Regards

Robert

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robert said:

It's a pity there is no Black Buck version this year, seems strange to miss it. In fact they seemed to have downplayed the anniversary, no Harrier GR.3 either.

Regards

Robert

I agree very disappointing and a missed opportunity.... Even more disappointed that the Victor isn't being reissued as a Falkands K2 but as the B2R instead with the same decals as the first time around

Back to the Vulcan, maybe they want to get a K2 or B2.MRR out first or do XH558 or something. I wouldn't complain at that because I'd rather see a 1/72 K2 than a 1/72 Black Buck B2

1 hour ago, Paul Thompson said:

The year's not over yet.

Paul.

But how often do Airfix just leave out big announcements like a new Vulcan rebox for later especially given the anniversary isn't that far away

Adam, they completely ignored the 200th Anniversary of Waterloo - and they've said there will be further announcements during the year - probably to avoid delivery disappointments.

On 1/11/2022 at 10:58 AM, Robert said:

It's a pity there is no Black Buck version this year, seems strange to miss it.

There could always be a cunning plan to surprise us in late Spring this year.

This also means it will be 40 years this summer since I saw some of the RN fleet return to Chatham, from the 15th century beacon tower of my local church at the time. Tempus fugit!

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
32 minutes ago, tangerine_sedge said:

spacer.pngAirfix have just announced a Black Buck version of the kit.  Including a new sprue and collectors coin(for the first 500).

Definitely expected, all the clues were in the kit 

And one option is the infamous (?) XM597 Black Buck 6 that had to divert into Rio with a hung up Shrike.  Poor girl now languishing at East Fortune Museum and not in a great condition.  That is a controversial topic on its own and not for this thread methinks