LEAKED New Tool Airfix Vulcan 1/72

Adam Poultney

Same, I'll get one later this year hopefully.

A sign of the times I suppose? Its been the same for me buying high end computer parts, at least we are not getting crazy price scalpers in this hobby, just limited availability at launch sometimes, seems mostly Airfix? not been following the trend too closely though ... wonder if this will extend to Tamiya's Phantom launch too?

14 hours ago, Neil Lambess said:

Fingers ctossed it arrives soon ....I want to build the one in RNZAF roundel I saw as a kid !

XH562, I did it a few months ago in 1/144. 

IMG_20210223_015603769

• Like 4

Adam, thank you for making and posting the Vulcan spreadsheet.  I have a few pictures inside and out of the Vulcan at the Castle Air Force Base museum but they were taken in 2003 and I'm not that proud of them.   I'm going to build the old Vulcan as a warm up, have the Wolfpack sets to spruce it up.

11 minutes ago, sniperUK said:

Looking like it's in stock, my payment for my preorder has just been taken 😁

With Airfix? I'm getting mine through Hannants

33 minutes ago, sniperUK said:

Looking like it's in stock, my payment for my preorder has just been taken 😁

Mine has now Ive updated my card details, the pre-order was made so long ago, the stored card  had expired 😁

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sparkie said:

Mine has now Ive updated my card details, the pre-order was made so long ago, the stored card  had expired 😁

SNAP!!! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Adam Poultney said:

So now that we're finally getting these, what schemes are we all planning to paint them in?

Im still undecided. I have a Valiant on pre-order to go with this Vulcan and the Victor I already have. Not sure how to spread schemes across the 3 yet or what 'story' I want to tell

Current thinking for paint schemes is the Valiant in Anti-Flash white, the Victor camo over white and the Vulcan full wrap-around, but which air frame or variant  to go for , no idea, it will probably be determined on how much work I want to commit to it

I just got an email too (through Airfix)!

2 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

So now that we're finally getting these, what schemes are we all planning to paint them in?

I'm afraid I'm going to have to go for XH558. The first time I saw her was at the 2015 Throckmorton airshow, and I don't think I'll ever forget that day.

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 2

Probably mid sixties to mid seventies as that is when I saw them the most either flying around or at Air Shows. Vivid memories of the four Vulcan scrambles at Waddington or Finningley.  I recall they used to time the scrambles, from the order to the last aircraft clear of the airfield was under two minutes (the crews were  on board as they would have been at certain times). Watching Vulcans rock forward on the their nose gear as the run up for take off and feeling the ground shake is still one of my best memories of watching aircraft. Just glad it was never for real. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 12:36 AM, Adam Poultney said:

Ok so I'm calling this done for tonight. I just realised I spent at least 6 hours on this just now... oops! Oh well, have some Vulcan knowledge.

Need to add more photos showing what each bit is, and things that were refitted to all Vulcan B2s (tail cone tip when ECM equipment was changed, late tail bumper, etc) and I need to visit more Vulcans to collect photos of specific features.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ljleemPGEVyH360F-DqwZqu5iB3LrcqL/view?usp=sharing

Edit: download and open in Excell, Drive doesn't seem to let you scroll sideways and there are currently 31 columns 

Edit 2: new version uploaded

Wow, that is one excellent piece of work. Thanks for sharing Adam!

On 6/23/2021 at 8:51 PM, viper-30 said:

Well as with many I’ve one on pre order ..and this beast sat in the wings …

spacer.png

Still need new wings for mine (I have the original version of the kit, but Alan kindly sent updated parts)

I did cancel my original pre-order for the new Airfix kit but may well get one now. I'm waiting to see if they the lack of a central windscreen wiper. Maybe that's slightly petty of me, but it is very noticeable. 

Cheers,

WV908

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 11:34 AM, Adam Poultney said:

Only buying one for now but I plan on two - one will be XL426 and the other will be XM594; Both as preserved.

Cheers,

WV908

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WV908 said:

Only buying one for now but I plan on two - one will be XL426 and the other will be XM594; Both as preserved.

Cheers,

WV908

will your ones be as they are today? I have a good amount of reference images of XM594 I would be happy to share.

• Like 1

Just now, Adam Poultney said:

will your ones be as they are today? I have a good amount of reference images of XM594 I would be happy to share.

Hi Adam,

Yeah both will be as they are now - Thanks for the offer haha but I'm plenty acquainted with 594 as she is my local one* (might go and see her tomorrow actually....) 

I do want to build 655 but at the cost of the kits it's pointless building two in the same scheme and everyone else will be building 558 so if I want to do a wraparound it's either 426 or 575

*558 is closer to me but it's impossible to get near her

Cheers,

WV908

Delivery just being unpacked in a model shop in York. Resisted temptation for now despite wife asking if I wanted it for my birthday! I’m suspicious now, what has she bought for herself I haven’t seen?

• Haha 1